Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 9300: Three years on the wrist

1. TheBodhisattva Apr 17, 2019

There’s something that’s comforting not having to completely depend on technology. I love the romanticism of having a movement constantly working on my wrist.

WurstEver and Omegafanman like this.
  2. WurstEver Apr 18, 2019

Cheers! The size difference is quite noticeable on the wrist, but I've never been totally satisfied with the side-by-side photo that I put in the review. The 9300 is quite thick and it is sitting on top of its bracelet, while the 145022 is sitting flat on the table. Because of this, the former is closer to the camera than the latter, which exaggerates the size difference. I'll have to get around to posting a new photograph soon.

Omegafanman likes this.
  3. Omegafanman Apr 19, 2019

I am a big fan of the 9300 and tend to alternate between steel and ceramic as a daily wear with a Globemaster for formal. I do think size depends a lot on the angle, lighting and watch style. I feel the weight difference compared to a manual speedy (and also with the ceramic) but I don’t think it looks that much bigger. I don’t have massive wrists but I think is not oversized on me thanks to the case aesthetics and contrasted polishing. I don’t find it sits too high either / I can slip it under my cuff OK (a lot easier than my G-Shock :0). I would like a quick set date but nobody is perfect and the hour hand jump does not take long. I use the second time zone function which works well for me. Three years on and still very happy.

a.jpg 04 - Copy.jpg 03 - Copy.jpg 20 - Copy.jpg 01 - Copy.jpg
    Mcvictory and WurstEver like this.
  4. WurstEver Apr 19, 2019

Nice pics! That's a good point: In terms of usability, a quick-set date would be a handy addition. But I agree, the 9300 movement already has so much going for it and the jumping hour hand is easy enough to use that it's not a major problem.

5. Mossback Apr 20, 2019

Thanks for sharing this detailed report. It's helpful to new members like me learning all the many choices.
    Nice to know I'm not the only one with large wrists. :)

WurstEver likes this.
  6. WurstEver May 22, 2019

Almost a year since this review went up and I'm on the road with my go-to travel watch. Tracking EDT (UTC - 4) on the main dial and AEST (UTC + 10) on the chrono.
    IMG_20190522_170714_1.jpg

7. 77deluxe May 22, 2019

Perfect travel companion.

WurstEver likes this.
  8. dinexus Jun 17, 2019

How am I just learning about the twin timezone functionality with the 3:00 register? Damn, starting to feel like I need one of these for travel...

WurstEver likes this.
  9. wjgesq Jan 2, 2020

Very nice pair you have.

WurstEver likes this.
  10. admiralvint Jan 3, 2020

Thanks for the great review. It really helped me to make up my mind that this is the Speedmaster I want

WurstEver and Omegafanman like this.
  11. Omegafanman Jan 4, 2020

I am still loving my 9300 set. 5 years on and they are both looking good / my most worn watches. The DSOTM still looks like new and I have worn that in some very sketchy circumstances - not a scratch which is what I wanted. I also love having the steel version. I have the Globemaster as a main dress watch. I enjoy all of them / the Globemaster is getting a bit more wrist time these days - not just for formal events.

01b02 - Copy.jpg 02 - Copy.jpg
    EauTerre, Mcvictory and WurstEver like this.
  12. RARJ Jan 10, 2020

As many already have, I too must thank you for putting together such a terrific summation of your thoughts and experiences with this watch over the years.

I bought mine back in August I think it was (shortly after it was discontinued) and it's been a superb owners experience ever since. Of course I too had to add as many strap combos as possible (matte black gator, black gator DSOTM, nylon DSOTM, GSOTM, brown gator, tan nappa leather, NATO's galore) along with the adjustable clasp option and wow have I ever enjoyed this piece!

I adore the layout of the dial and size of the case. A jumping minute chronograph might be a bit more practical but the 9300 is flawless. And not to knock the amazing bracelet that it came on but wow does it ever look amazing on straps.It's simply perfect.

I'm really happy to have a Speedy back in my life again. I just worry that now I really want to add a few more iterations of this model to the collection!

WurstEver likes this.
  13. admiralvint Jan 14, 2020

I received mine yesterday and I have to say that it's surprising how small the watch feels. Everywhere in reviews you see it being criticized of being too big, too thick etc, but it just vanishes on the wrist.

It is my first proper watch, so I am just amazed how detailed everything is and one thing the pictures don't give away is the depth and all the small reflections etc.

WurstEver likes this.
  14. EauTerre Jan 17, 2020

It's a beautiful watch fo sho. I wish there was a 40mm variant however. (I don't like the look of the Speed Racing with its differently shaped subdials).

WurstEver likes this.
  15. BayareaTrax Jan 19, 2020

Great review.

I really like this watch. I think I prefer the 9300 self winding movement but the watch is just too big for my wrist unfortunately

WurstEver likes this.
  16. RARJ Feb 12, 2020

It's actually very wearable on a strap. The lugs round out to point downwards so even though the length of the case my span your wrist, the strap will still fit nicely. My girlfriend recently tried mine on while it was on a DSOTM strap and it looked awesome!

WurstEver likes this.
  17. lupinpopette Apr 27, 2020

Great review! I have to say I wasn't sure about the watch's size and thought I would look a bit chunky, but it actually doesn't look that bad.

WurstEver likes this.
  18. WurstEver May 3, 2020

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup: It is on the larger side to be sure, but that was actually a selling point for me. My wrist is approximately 20cm (just under 8 inches) and I really appreciate the extra presence of the 9300.

Mcvictory and Omegafanman like this.
  19. Peach Gobbler Dec 1, 2020

Really great write up and subsequent Q&A so thanks to the OP and all others who have chimed in. I have been on search for a classic, heirloom quality watch to own and enjoy and then pass down to my son someday. I thought it would be easy to find the perfect watch but couldn't find one that checked all the boxes and my search has gone on much longer than expected.

I want a tool watch with timeless looks but modern technology. I am a bigger guy (6'3"/240lbs) so have settled in the range of 42 to 44mm, 40mm just isn't big enough for me. While I love the Speedy Pro, an automatic movement and a minimum of 100m water resistance are essentials for me. Which brings me to the "Speedmaster 9300". I went into my AD to look at the Speedy Pro a couple of weeks ago but knew in my heart I'm not a manual wind guy. But right next to them was a black Moonphase. This was the first 44.25mm Speedmaster I had seen and I immediately gravitated to it. However, the Moonphase is a little more ornate than I want and the applied indices actually weren't all that legible when compared directly to the Speedy Pro. It's also fairly thick but it got me doing research on 44.25 Speedmasters. I've spent the last couple of weeks educating myself and have narrowed my search down to the Speedmaster 9300 and to its closest predecessor, the 311.30.44.50.01.002. I am on the fence between the two as the 9300 is clearly the superior movement but the 311.30.44.50.01.002 is not nearly as thick (I felt the Moonphase was very close to being too thick at 17mm and the Speedmaster 9300 is just under 16mm while the 311.30.44.50.01.002 comes in at 14mm).

Since these are not particularly hot references and prices have settled at around $6k I plan to wait on the announcement of the new Speedy Pro just in case it's too good to pass up but I would be surprised if it moves me off of one of these.

Thanks again for a great discussion!

WurstEver likes this.
  20. 64Wing Dec 7, 2020

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum but mostly just wanted to give you props for a user name that gave me a chuckle

WurstEver likes this.