Speedmaster 3861 issues for a first time luxury watch owner

Firstly, the hour subdial on the chrono function of the watch is misaligned and is too fast by around 10 minutes. I have seen the description from Archer on why this may happen so I tried to let it go, but mine seems like it's off by quite a bit. I have tried the trick of holding the reset button and slowly releasing, but this does not fix the misalignment. Pictures below:

Additionally, my chrono second hand is activating the minute subdial about 0.8s to 1.0s too fast, which I have also seen as a problem before in the forums. When it is reset it is slightly off to the left, so maybe this is contributing too. Pictures of the issue below again:

I have a 3861 and I just performed the same chrono test for 4 hours. Here are my findings:

For the first half hour, the hour subdial was pretty accurate. After 30 minutes, that's when the hand on the subdial started advancing a little faster.

Min Subdial @ 46min
Hour Subdial @ very close to the 1 hour mark with 15 min left.

Min Subdial @ 57min
Hour Subdial @ Hand is at the 1 hour mark

Min Subdial @ 60 min
Hour Subdial @ very slightly past 1 hour marker

I repeated this for 4 hours and the hands were accurate to their location from the first hour. This is the picture at hour 3. The picture angle and lens distortion makes the hour hand look a little more severe but it was very close to the 3 hour marker.

Conclusion: The hour subdial is slightly off when it approached the hour marker. I had a friend do the same test on his 3861 as well with identical results so it seems to be common in multiple 3861.
Not sure if anyone can report the same movement behavior with the 1861. All in all, while slightly inaccurate, I can still easily tell whether it's the 1st 30 min or the 2nd 30 min. I don't think it's worth the trouble of sending it in for warranty. I'll probably get it serviced a little earlier and get it addressed then.

With that said, I think your hour subdial is the same as mine and I think you may have misread your minute subdial. You believe that it was the 1st 30 min when in actuality, it was the 2nd 30 min. In green is the corrected timing. Instead of 9 minutes, it's really 39 minutes and so on and so forth. If so, this would match with my movement.

Hope that helps!

It’s supposed to measure time well enough for folks who need that information. If it does not do that, it’s defective. You just dropped serious cash on a defective watch, it’s not vintage so demand that the factory repair it.

It’s supposed to measure time well enough for folks who need that information. If it does not do that, it’s defective. You just dropped serious cash on a defective watch, it’s not vintage so demand that the factory repair it.
The examples shown here do measure elapsed time well enough, there is no confusion as to what the elapsed time is when the chronograph is run. Yes, there is a slight misalignment of the hands, but this will be the case in most chronographs. Owners can certainly send them in for readjustment but just accept they will never be perfect, especially when used repeatedly.

I’ve dealt with Omega customer service extensively due to several QC issues like the ones you’re dealing with (including several misaligned hands).

You bought your watch from an OB. That means you have a 5-year warranty that grants you several rights as an owner.

Try getting a replacement as a first option. Might be hard, but worth trying. Last Tuesday, I requested a replacement for a similar case, and it’s pending their approval. It probably won’t work (especially since you didn’t do business in the states), but that’s definitely your best option.

Second, get the watch serviced in Switzerland under warranty. Service centers have that option. They can send it there. It takes over 2 months, but definitely worth it / better in the long run.

Finally, get it fixed locally or at an AD watchmaker. This will still be under warranty if it’s Omega approved, and could still be a solid option.

You could also try sending Omega an email directly on the website. Good luck.

I would go for the service in Switzerland as it will be better.

These problems are not specific to the 3861. If these really bother you, then yes send it in and see what they say.

To your view point, which brand is better wrt QA/QC ? Omega or Rolex ? I know there are issues with Rolex 32xx calibers though…

I’ve dealt with Omega customer service extensively due to several QC issues like the ones you’re dealing with (including several misaligned hands).

You bought your watch from an OB. That means you have a 5-year warranty that grants you several rights as an owner.

Try getting a replacement as a first option. Might be hard, but worth trying. Last Tuesday, I requested a replacement for a similar case, and it’s pending their approval. It probably won’t work (especially since you didn’t do business in the states), but that’s definitely your best option.

Second, get the watch serviced in Switzerland under warranty. Service centers have that option. They can send it there. It takes over 2 months, but definitely worth it / better in the long run.

Finally, get it fixed locally or at an AD watchmaker. This will still be under warranty if it’s Omega approved, and could still be a solid option.

You could also try sending Omega an email directly on the website. Good luck.

And of course, if Archer is Omega certified perhaps you could ask if he could service your watch so they send it to him as he know his stuff hence you should get the same level of service as you would expect from the factory in Switzerland… The ramdomness of tye service centres output is frightening.

I have a 3861 and I just performed the same chrono test for 4 hours. Here are my findings:

For the first half hour, the hour subdial was pretty accurate. After 30 minutes, that's when the hand on the subdial started advancing a little faster.

Min Subdial @ 46min

Min Subdial @ 57min

Min Subdial @ 60 min

I repeated this for 4 hours and the hands were accurate to their location from the first hour. This is the picture at hour 3. The picture angle and lens distortion makes the hour hand look a little more severe but it was very close to the 3 hour marker.

Conclusion: The hour subdial is slightly off when it approached the hour marker. I had a friend do the same test on his 3861 as well with identical results so it seems to be common in multiple 3861.
Not sure if anyone can report the same movement behavior with the 1861. All in all, while slightly inaccurate, I can still easily tell whether it's the 1st 30 min or the 2nd 30 min. I don't think it's worth the trouble of sending it in for warranty. I'll probably get it serviced a little earlier and get it addressed then.

With that said, I think your hour subdial is the same as mine and I think you may have misread your minute subdial. You believe that it was the 1st 30 min when in actuality, it was the 2nd 30 min. In green is the corrected timing. Instead of 9 minutes, it's really 39 minutes and so on and so forth. If so, this would match with my movement.

Hope that helps!

You watch looks fine to me.

The examples shown here do measure elapsed time well enough, there is no confusion as to what the elapsed time is when the chronograph is run. Yes, there is a slight misalignment of the hands, but this will be the case in most chronographs. Owners can certainly send them in for readjustment but just accept they will never be perfect, especially when used repeatedly.

Yes, to me this looks fine.

Interesting and informative post. I have never had this issue, but thanks for posting.

I love the speedmaster. It's the perfect watch, except....every time I have ever handled one, there has always been something off about it. Misalignments, cheap felling actuation of the pushers, rough winding. I guess that's the quirk of the piece and while I personally think that's bull for spending 6k. It is what it is. They sell so many of them, that it's unlikely they will crack down on this.

Min Subdial @ 46min

Min Subdial @ 57min

Min Subdial @ 60 min

Hope that helps!

Hey bitterspeak thanks for running these tests, I really appreciate it! I hope this data will also help future 3861 owners who google the issue. It looks like your watch has the same behavior, albeit a little bit less pronounced than my watch. I also let my chrono run for 8 hours and observed that the offset was the same for all but 1 hour, strangely during the 6th hour of running the hour subdial was perfectly aligned at the 60 minute mark, who knows why or how it corrected itself...

As for your observations at the end of the post, you are correct that these times are all in the second 30 minutes of timing, I was aware of this but didn't label it correctly in my initial post. Either way, I will have to make a decision about how much this bums me out. I am leaning towards just biting the bullet and sending it in for warranty repair, it's just going to bother me every time I look at it and it just simply shouldn't be this way.

To anyone who is interested, I finally decided to just send it in for warranty service, they started work on it today. I am just going to trust the process and assume they will take proper care of the watch, looks like it went to the Miami location. I am curious what they will say and how the watch will look/operate when it comes back, I will let everyone know.

I went to the Omega-authorized service center in my city, and made an appointment with the manager. The manager took me to the head watchmaker there, I presented my warranty and purchase receipt, and we discussed my options.

I’ll know in a few days if I can get a replacement (probably unlikely). If the replacement is a no go, I’ll live with the misalignment issue until the first service. Not worth de-casing and hand reapplication.

Sucks, but there’s really no other viable option. No matter how skilled the watchmaker is, de-casing a movement has always caused either aesthetic (dust on dial, scratched hands, dial misalignment) or functional changes to my watches (worsened accuracy).

Hope this helps.

This does not help.

Sorry, but you are so wrong. Decasing is in no way equivalent to damage, dust, whatever. I suggest you go to a good watchmaker and pay the right price for his valuable service.

Being a certified watchmaker myself I take offense to this gross accusation that all watchmakers are making things worse instead of delivering good, solid results. It looks like you have seen one white rave and now assume all raves are white as the saying goes.
Maybe Archer want to chime in also on this?

To anyone who is interested, I finally decided to just send it in for warranty service, they started work on it today. I am just going to trust the process and assume they will take proper care of the watch, looks like it went to the Miami location. I am curious what they will say and how the watch will look/operate when it comes back, I will let everyone know.

Did you take high resolution close up pictures of the watch before sending it in? If so, take more immediately when you get it back just in case the service center dinged or scratched the case. I've heard horror stories about Omega Factory Warranty repair.

A wise choice and your best option all things considered👍

A wise choice and your best option all things considered👍
It will only be proved to be wise, and the best option, IF the watch comes back fixed of the malady that bothers the OP and the watch has no other cosmetic issues to case, dial or movement. That is no sure thing.
Edited:

Sorry for the late update, but better late than never. Omega in Miami had my watch for around 2 months (shipped back to me November 1st, 2022). It was quite long, but I found the online system to be very informative and helpful. After receiving the watch I got approved for "Complete Maintenance Service" free of charge under warranty. The issues were marked as 1) The movement has low amplitude and 2) The movement is not performing within factory specifications. I had noted the watch was gaining and losing time at a faster rate than expected when I first got the watch, but I cannot remember what those values were.

The watch was returned in a very nice red Omega branded box, similar to the black travel box it comes with. The watch was nicely wrapped in a thick static cling material with the serial number printed on it. It was very well protected for transit. Upon receipt of the watch I noted zero scratches or cosmetic defects. There was no dust under the crystal. Strangely enough, the caseback was mounted 90 degrees from 12 when I bought it which I just assumed was normal (they just screw it on and it ends up aligned randomly), but after service its aligned perfectly at 12 o'clock which is very nice.

As for the movement...the accuracy was GREATLY improved. As of today, since receipt, the watch consistently gains only 2 seconds per day on average. I am very very happy with that. I will need to take a picture of the parts they replaced for you guys, but whatever they did made a huge difference. The hour subdial is now also perfectly aligned 😀 and it clicks over perfectly on each hour. They did a great job on those two points.

However, the minute subdial clicking over early was not fixed, and is now slightly worse. But I believe it is worse because the chrono seconds hand is now slightly misaligned to the left of 12 o'clock...so now it not only clicks over early, but the second hand is even farther to the left of 12 o'clock which makes it appear as if the chrono minute hand is moving even earlier 🙁 I will say I was pretty bummed to see this, but I am learning to just ignore it. Before the 5 year service window is up I will send it in again, but for now I just want to enjoy the watch. Can't win them all I guess...but at least seeing some of the issues fixed makes me realize Omega accepted that it was incorrect, which makes me feel less crazy!

Now....if only we could get one of these back on the moon so I can stop worrying if the 3861 is actually a Moonwatch 😀