Speedmaster 3861 issues for a first time luxury watch owner

Hello everyone, I would like to start by apologizing right off the bat for presenting issues with the 3861 Speedmaster that have been listed in countless forums and posts before. I know I am not unique in seeing these problems, but as a first time owner of a watch more expensive than $100 I could use some advice :)

Last month I had an opportunity to purchase a 3861 on the nylon strap for a good price from an OB while in Istanbul. I have wanted a Speedmaster for 20 years so this is my grail watch. I took a quick look at it and then packed it in my carryon for my trip back to the US. It was not until I started sitting and admiring the watch for a few days that I realized my watch has a lot of the problems I have now seen posted in many forums. Unfortunately I did not know about these issues during the purchase, so I never thought to look for them.

Firstly, the hour subdial on the chrono function of the watch is misaligned and is too fast by around 10 minutes. I have seen the description from Archer on why this may happen so I tried to let it go, but mine seems like it's off by quite a bit. I have tried the trick of holding the reset button and slowly releasing, but this does not fix the misalignment. Pictures below:

1.PNG

Additionally, my chrono second hand is activating the minute subdial about 0.8s to 1.0s too fast, which I have also seen as a problem before in the forums. When it is reset it is slightly off to the left, so maybe this is contributing too. Pictures of the issue below again:

2.PNG

The reason I ask about these issues is because I am unsure if they warrant a return to Omega to be fixed. I know that many people will have different opinions, but as a first time owner of a nice watch I am a little upset that there is this much off on my piece. I am not really a watch guy, just a huge fan of the space program and heritage of the watch, so for me this is a really special and unique purchase that I might be holding to a higher standard than I normally would. I have heard horror stories of returning the watch for service, and I guess I am also a bit upset that I need to risk that with a brand new watch. Since I bought it in Turkey I can't go back to the original OB and request a replacement, and my closet AD is about 3 hours away and told me they would just be sending it back to Swatch anyway.

Anyway, I appreciate anyone reading with some advice. Maybe my OCD and how much I notice little things like this makes me a bad candidate for a watch, but I just feel like it's casting a dark cloud over what should have pretty a pretty fun purchase.

Sorry this happened, really disappointing. Others will chime in about what to do, but the problems with this watch just continue, and it’s really frustrating.

I’ve dealt with Omega customer service extensively due to several QC issues like the ones you’re dealing with (including several misaligned hands).

You bought your watch from an OB. That means you have a 5-year warranty that grants you several rights as an owner.

Try getting a replacement as a first option. Might be hard, but worth trying. Last Tuesday, I requested a replacement for a similar case, and it’s pending their approval. It probably won’t work (especially since you didn’t do business in the states), but that’s definitely your best option.

Second, get the watch serviced in Switzerland under warranty. Service centers have that option. They can send it there. It takes over 2 months, but definitely worth it / better in the long run.

Finally, get it fixed locally or at an AD watchmaker. This will still be under warranty if it’s Omega approved, and could still be a solid option.

You could also try sending Omega an email directly on the website. Good luck.

These problems are not specific to the 3861. If these really bother you, then yes send it in and see what they say.

I wonder if the second problem could simply be a misaligned sweep hand. The OP says that it doesn't reset to a vertical position.

Still, the watch is under warranty, so in practical terms, a warranty repair is the only plausible option IMO.

Your observations aren't that much different from other Speedmasters.....1861 or 3861. The hour hand is often not quite aligned when the chrono is reset, either being to the right or left of the 12 index by a smidge, and when the chrono is subsequently run the hour hand will either be slightly ahead or behind the elapsed time when it passes the hour marker. I've long ceased being upset at the slight misalignment my Speedmasters show, it doesn't affect accurate chrono reading, it's just the way they are set up and how they function. The same with the clicking over of the central second hand, I've just never observed when it clicks over, it would only be an issue if your elapsed time is right before or after an elapsed minute.

If it really bothers you send it in and see what Omega says, just remember there is ALWAYS the possibility of dirt, dust or a mark on the hands or case being the result of a service intervention. I tend to leave these things alone unless it actually affects the functionality of the complication.

Don't blame you in the slightest. You go to a Michelin-starred restaurant and pay $$$ for a meal, you expect your steak medium-rare as ordered, not medium...

My 15-year-old 1861 has these same issues, even after a recent service that cost me $800. I gave up complaining. The adjustments seem to be really touchy on this watch, however a brand-new 3861 straight from Switzerland and the mothership should be perfect, no?

I don't use the chrono so it's not a big deal for me. But if it's important to you, keep in mind that if you send your watch off, it could be gone for months, and come back with issues fixed, but then some new issue - like, a new dust speck on the inside of the dial - might appear.

I also have a Rolex with its own quirks, so it's not unique to Omega. Disappointing, I know...

I don’t know of any chronograph that is absolutely *perfect* when it comes to alignment, etc. Each one has its quirks, and if you can’t live with it, you’ll just need to either have Omega fix it until it’s reached that perfection, or pass it on.

These problems are not specific to the 3861. If these really bother you, then yes send it in and see what they say.

Agreed:thumbsup:

To an extent, my 1861 has the same issues.
I put it down to the vagaries of mass produced mechanical Chrono ownership, though I appreciate something can be done about it. I will wait until service time to get them to have a look at it as it doesn't affect the function of the watch how i use it to time cooking:thumbsup:

Interestingly, I have periodically run the chrono on mine continuously for an extensive number of hours on purpose, just to see if the overly advanced hour hand sorts itself out and it has:thumbsup:
I just thought I'd try it and see how it goes and the advancement has come back enough for me to discount it as an issue altogether:)
The hour register hand always aligns perfectly when set to the re-zero position as do all the other hands, so that's all good.

The way the minute register works is close enough to be good enough;)
It doesn't affect functionality at all.

I have an 1861, and a Breitling Navitimer, both line up perfectly. I’ve seen some examples on YouTube and pics on forums of people having alignment issues.

It boggles my mind when I see people talking themselves into settling for these imperfections. I certainly wouldn’t let any manufacturer off the hook for something that costs thousands of dollars that doesn’t perform as it’s expected.

They’re mass produced, and these quality control issues are to be expected, but they should be fixed.

My .02 is that I have never looked for nor been influenced by any of these issues....my
3861 keeps dead-perfect time and the chrono works accurately enough for me.

But, I understand that everyone is different so...good luck with your journey. You'll
get plenty of good advice here.

I’ve dealt with Omega customer service extensively due to several QC issues like the ones you’re dealing with (including several misaligned hands).

You bought your watch from an OB. That means you have a 5-year warranty that grants you several rights as an owner.

Try getting a replacement as a first option. Might be hard, but worth trying. Last Tuesday, I requested a replacement for a similar case, and it’s pending their approval. It probably won’t work (especially since you didn’t do business in the states), but that’s definitely your best option.

Second, get the watch serviced in Switzerland under warranty. Service centers have that option. They can send it there. It takes over 2 months, but definitely worth it / better in the long run.

Finally, get it fixed locally or at an AD watchmaker. This will still be under warranty if it’s Omega approved, and could still be a solid option.

You could also try sending Omega an email directly on the website. Good luck.

Thanks for this info, when you requested the replacement how did you reach out to them? It seems like I just get automated responses from their system telling me I need to send it in for them to decide if it needs warranty service. And how did you request it goes to Switzerland, they only sent me addresses of a service center in Miami and New Jersey.

Thank you Archer, in all my research I found myself reading your posts the most, so I appreciate the response. I guess what I am trying to figure out is are the issues out of tolerance enough that they should be considered unacceptable in your opinion? Or is this normal for the watch and I need to let it go...while the misalignments all bother me, I also think I would be more upset to find that it's worse off when it comes back from service. At least for now it's keeping good time.

Luxury watch marketing is its own worst enemy. The brands market their products on excellent craftsmanship by highly-trained professionals, obsessive attention to detail, fine Swiss timekeeping, a throwback to the good old days where skilled artisans produced incredible goods by hand, etc. and then charge a high price commensurate with the marketed quality.

Then you get the watch and learn about concepts like “tolerance,” and realize there aren’t many professionals around to fix the watch if something goes wrong.

Case and point- I own a 145.022 (cal. 861), and ran into some quirks after owning mine for 8 years. My minute hand no longer resets perfectly to 0, and three separate OMEGA-certified watchmakers refrained from touching it; one couldn’t see an issue, and two others said it was “within tolerance.” It was a shocker to me after owning the watch for 8 years with no issues to learn there was such a thing as a tolerance for errors in a chrono.

Personally, I’d send the watch back if I was in your shoes. Tolerance is one thing, but the fact the chrono’s hour hand is pointing to the wrong hour marker that far in advance is hurting basic functionality (telling how long the chrono has run for). That said, one of the reasons I bought a Speedy is because of its ability to tell how many hours had elapsed since starting the chrono.

Thanks for this info, when you requested the replacement how did you reach out to them? It seems like I just get automated responses from their system telling me I need to send it in for them to decide if it needs warranty service. And how did you request it goes to Switzerland, they only sent me addresses of a service center in Miami and New Jersey.
Since you can't take it back to the dealer you bought it from, and since the issue is slightly misaligned hands, your chances that you will ever get Omega to exchange it for a new watch is extremely slim. Although it appears to be a big issue to you it really is a minor issue requiring repositioning of the hands. I don't think this is the kind of issue that requires Bienne service.
Edited:

I went to the Omega-authorized service center in my city, and made an appointment with the manager. The manager took me to the head watchmaker there, I presented my warranty and purchase receipt, and we discussed my options.

I’ll know in a few days if I can get a replacement (probably unlikely). If the replacement is a no go, I’ll live with the misalignment issue until the first service. Not worth de-casing and hand reapplication.

Sucks, but there’s really no other viable option. No matter how skilled the watchmaker is, de-casing a movement has always caused either aesthetic (dust on dial, scratched hands, dial misalignment) or functional changes to my watches (worsened accuracy).

Hope this helps.

In my experience with owning three Speedmasters, they are not perfect. One often expects precision and accuracy when spending this kind of money, but alas, it is not to be. Ask me about my BMW. LOL But I love BMWs, and so I put up with it. Ditto Omega.

I did send one of mine off to Miami and they fixed it, didn't scratch it, didn't add dirt to it, and did it fairly quickly.