Speedmaster 1450 Bracelet: A Deep Dive Into A Sea of Minutia

Posts
235
Likes
280
Someone reported to me that they have a bracelet with removable links that don't have the arrows engraved on these removable links. Has anyone ever see/authenticated a bracelet with "no-arrow" links?.

yes i just received today 2 bracelets and on one i have removable link without arrow

 
Posts
32
Likes
33
Interesting! Do you think that they are authentic or after market?
 
Posts
235
Likes
280
They are originals, the first exemple of 1450 did not have any arrow engraved on the links
here after the st3450808 (june 87) that i bought yesterday from its orignal buyer ...
So i own three 1450 bands and only two have mixed arrow and blank link et and 1 all blank
 
Posts
235
Likes
280
all my apollogies, the bracelet here above is a 1447/805
 
Posts
32
Likes
33
About the blank link, I've seen them at least twice and mine does not have it. I think it's an early one (and seems legit). Here is one that was sold with EOA saying the watch was indeed sold with a 1450 and looks like doesn't have the arrow => https://timeanagram.com/fr/products/7851?_pos=8&_sid=6ebb20427&_ss=r
The plot thickens... It seems odd that there were so many variants, but who knows how the inner workings of the manufacturing went at that time. Do the arrowless links require you to push the pins in a certain direction or can they be pushed out in either direction?
 
Posts
2
Likes
0
The plot thickens... It seems odd that there were so many variants, but who knows how the inner workings of the manufacturing went at that time. Do the arrowless links require you to push the pins in a certain direction or can they be pushed out in either direction?

Well I didn't try, but mine was CCW and it's also coming from Japan and from the same period (1987-88) as the one I shared. I'm pretty sure mine is original, it's of really good quality and I wouldn't understand why someone would copy such a bracelet with all the details except the arrows.
 
Posts
31
Likes
277
I think this is a great example of how deep the dive can go on this sort of topic.

Personally, I wear one of the US 1450 clones on my Speedy, along with one of the 1162/173 clasps, and it scratches my 1450 bracelet itch.
I did this too for a few years, and the US1450 clone with 1162 clasp satisfied me until I got tired of the sharp bracelet sides and end links that just weren’t as nicely rounded and authentic looking as the 808s which made me still want the real 1450/808. Finally got one and then a spare just in case. Lol.
 
Posts
19
Likes
44
I only came across this thread now while looking into a 1450/808 for my Speedy Tuesday 1 - and suddenly the whole CW/CCW discussion became very relevant to me.


The bracelet I was considering seems to have a mixed configuration: on one half, one of the removable links has the opposite CW/CCW orientation to the others.


To make things even more interesting, I would need three additional original 1450 links to get the bracelet to the roughly 175 mm spring-bar-to-spring-bar length I need. Two original spare links were available with the bracelet, and both were of the same orientation as that one “odd” link already fitted. I don’t know which version the third link would have been.


Functionally, I assume mixing CW and CCW links makes absolutely no difference. But on an expensive 1450, I have to admit that the lack of internal consistency bothered me more than it probably should. 😄


I eventually passed on the bracelet, mainly because the complete package with the additional links became too expensive for me, but this thread was extremely useful in understanding what I was actually looking at.


It also seems like another possible real-world example of what was discussed earlier here: a bracelet having been resized at some point using whichever genuine replacement-link version happened to be available.


Out of curiosity: would a mixed CW/CCW configuration bother you on a 1450, or would you consider it completely irrelevant as long as all the links are genuine Omega?