Speedmaster 145.022-68 auction review

I am going to take a page out of the Spacefruit and Hansaboy books and make a thread about a vintage Speedmaster auction. I have learned and enjoyed their threads so much that I owe them a thread.

This watch popped up yesterday in an auction I was following. Funny thing was that it wasn't in my initial watch list. I noticed it about an hour before it was set to go off.

I ended up bidding on this only and won. There were a couple of other watches including Ed Whites that had low initial bids but were in bad condition, at least to me. They ended up with multiple bids and went higher than I thought they deserved.

So what attracted me to this watch? Would you have agreed with my final conclusion?

Reference, condition, originality, price. I recognized this as a 145.022-68 transitional that was relatively inexpensive. (I sold one, and have been looking to replace it. It is one of the most intriguing Speedmasters to me so always capturesmy attention.) It had what appeared to be all the correct parts, the DON bezel, the 1039 bracelet, AML, long indexes/indicies, flat chrono hand. What I couldn't see was the caseback, the all important Reference number inside the caseback or the movement with serial number. For those, i had to trust the condition report. (First thing I'm doing when it shows up is taking off the caseback.)

Originally looked correct so it came down to condition. The condition report said the movement looked untouched. Hopefully that is true, but they did put it in writing. The caseback is supposed to be very good, although I can see slippage marks on the notches when looking up close. Fortunately, they had good high res photos.

The condition report said the bracelet fits an 8 inch wrist, which suggests most links are present. There were minimal scratches on the clasp. Bracelet looks very good.

The bezel looks great, with only two small dings. It is slightly towards the edge, but not as bad as some and typical of the off center. It's one of the nicest bezels I will have had. I'd venture an excellent bezel.

The case is unpolished. Yes, I will say unpolished, however unlikely. Looking at the sharp edges, I can't see any evidence of an older polish. Based on the overall condotion, i would venture to say this could have been a watch pulled from a drawer by a family member and auctioned off. There's no one saying that is where it came from, but that's the condition I think one would be like. An excellent case, regardless.

The hardest part, the dial and hands. The hands have a little paint loss at the center and a bit of rust started. But I didn't see any signs of repaint or touching up.

I didn't see any stains or scratches on the dial. There's a couple light spots in the pictures that could be dust or on the crystal that will need looking at, but nothing to stop a purchase.

Now for the million dollar question, the lume. The color is nice, but is it too nice, as in altered? I don't think so, because there is variety around the dial, particularly between the top of the dial and the bottom. This could be the camera, off course. But the lume near the top is a bit lighter with more yellow showing.

The biggest issue is the condition of the lume itself. They are puffy and globs are in some places. This is often the case with relume. I looked at the edges and the lume is within the index and many have shrunk, shrinkage is a good sign of age. What's more, i didn't see any overlap of what would be paint on top of old lume. The puffiness and globs do show up on vintage pieces, like 145.012s that came before this. I have seen some rounding of lume in 145.022-68s but nothing as globby as this one. I decided that this is original lume, based mostly on the shrinkage and variety in texture and color. This is probably where there may be the most disagreement. It's also the main benefit of this thread as an exercise, to look at this same information and determine for yourself whether or not you would have bought it.

Here are the pics and information I had. Draw your own conclusions. You have one hour 😀

lf.jpeg-1.jpg lf.jpeg-2.jpg lf.jpeg-3.jpg lf.jpeg-4.jpg Screenshot_20231115_100646_Samsung Internet.jpg

Very appealing watch. Did I miss the final price? I think that’s a traditional part of these threads. 😀

Very appealing watch. Did I miss the final price? I think that’s a traditional part of these threads. 😀

It is, but so is asking for it first before the reluctant reply.

All in, including 25% commission, shipping "handling", drop off to my door price is $7100 USD.

What a nice post, and very good describing your research, thoughts and feelings!

it is a very nice Speedy you got (again…😉)!!
Congrats!!!
Edited:

It is, but so is asking for it first before the reluctant reply.

All in, including 25% commission, shipping "handling", drop off to my door price is $7100 USD.

Looks good to me and I think you did well compared to the new Speedmaster101 prices. Interested in what the experts think.

So far, nothing negative about the lume, which makes me happy. I can appreciate that it might not be everyone's cup of tea or there might be disagreements about originality.

Btw, if you click on a photo, you can then zoom in on a higher resolution photo and pixel pick.

I hope this helps someone in the future. I owe the forum a lot.

Nice find! I'd like to see a different angle of the dial. It looks quite dark. My 145.012-68 has a glossy dial, it's hard to see alone in photos but when you see it with any other Speedmaster it is clearly different. I think some ultramans have a similar glossy dial... same period so it makes sense.

So far, nothing negative about the lume, which makes me happy. I can appreciate that it might not be everyone's cup of tea or there might be disagreements about originality.

Btw, if you click on a photo, you can then zoom in on a higher resolution photo and pixel pick.

Not sure about the lume. There are people that can redo it so well these days, better ask William (spacefruit). Anyway it looks attractive to me. The lume on the hands looks old so maybe theres a clue there.

PS Don't zoom too close it's over 50 years old, just enjoy!

First off, I think the watch looks very appealing (I'd bet that lume looks great in person). The DON bezel is in great condition. I can't comment on the unpolished claim as it's impossible (for me) to evaluate without seeing the timepiece in person. But from the photos, the case looks to be very nice. If I'm trying to be critical, I see some sight white coloration at the bottom side of the subdials. I've heard that this can sometimes be indicative of a dry dial, but again, I'm really searching for things that are off....and it's a struggle with this piece! The only real caution flag that I would put up, is the lack of movement photos. This particular auction house provides movement photos for most of the watches it sells. I wonder why none were provided for this piece? Maybe someone was lazy? Maybe there is another reason. As long as the price you paid is reflective of the risk you're taking, then not much to worry about!

Did the condition report post the actual serial number? That would be another check point for me.

Please share photos why you get it, and thank you for posting! I really enjoy these types of threads.

Looks like a lot more light focus from the top of the watch. This may be highlighting some edges on the dial and creating different shadows on the lower lume plots. I bet it evens out and looks more consistent in real life. Still looks good either way.

Lovely find, congratulations. I look forward to seeing the dial in the sun. 👍

If I'm trying to be critical, I see some sight white coloration at the bottom side of the subdials. I've heard that this can sometimes be indicative of a dry dial,

Critical is good, it helps the learning. Thanks.

Did the condition report post the actual serial number? That would be another check point for me.

No, I didn't see the serial number in any description.

Please share photos why you get it, and thank you for posting! I really enjoy these types of threads.

I'll post pics, including different dial angles.

Thanks for the feedback and contribution.

Congrats for the great buy at a very good price incl. bracelet imo.

If I'm trying to be critical, I see some sight white coloration at the bottom side of the subdials. I've heard that this can sometimes be indicative of a dry dial,
I think that's just the lighting from 12 o clock. My 68 does this too in the "right" light, but there's nothing white there in person / from different angles. My bet would be, that it's fine.

20230628_114943.jpg

20230705_191945.jpg

Also curious to know what the experts make of the lume. Killer piece nonetheless…congrats!

I think you bought a gem of a -68. Congratulations. Most appealing and authentic to my eye.

I’d believe the case has not been messed with from what I see.

the difference in lume color you’ve noticed would appear to me to be a result of the bias in lighting shifted toward the top of the watch. Note The 12 o’clock bracelet end piece is well lit vs the 6 o’clock piece. Your variance in lume tone could well be chalked up to that.