Forums Latest Members

Solder for quick repair of snapped lug

1. OllieOnTheRocks Jan 27, 2021

I recently picked up a very cheap Zenith (£80), the lugs were a real mess and after bending them into a useable position, one snapped. It is still attached as it's a fixed lug case from the 1940s. I had figured I'd probably be scraping it, and just keep the dial and movement, but having cleaned up the case and got to this stage, I think it would be better I try to do a repair myself to keep it all original.

I believe the case to be chrome plated, could anyone advise the type of solder I might use for a case of this type?

Fortunately as the fixed bar is holding it in place, I figured a quick solder would fill the 'crack' and do the job.
    09EB7E43-7308-4811-90AB-F8B1123D2DCC.jpeg

thanks a lot,

Ollie!

Edited Jan 27, 2021
    noelekal likes this.
  2. Canuck Jan 27, 2021

This is a welding job. If, by solder, you mean lead. That won’t do. I would use silver solder if I was doing the job. If you aren’t able to do this job yourself, it might be tough to find anyone capable of such a job that would work on a chrome plated case. The job is going to show, so you may want to chrome plate it when you’re done. In future, bear in mind that straightening bent lugs on a watch case is best done after annealing the case. Metal hardens when bent, and hardens even more when straightened, often resulting in problems like this. Annealing makes the metal more amenable to straightening bent lugs.

3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 27, 2021

I know I'd like to see the results if you manage to rehab that case Ollie.

OllieOnTheRocks likes this.
  4. Dan S Jan 27, 2021

I was also going to suggest silver solder if you're familiar with using it. It has been a while, but I always used either an oxy-acetylene torch with a very fine tip, or even a hot plate.

Edited Jan 27, 2021
  5. JwRosenthal Jan 27, 2021

6. Canuck Jan 27, 2021

22F685EA-EA60-48DF-95C3-5DD5F8EB1243.jpeg I have uploaded a picture of a model 214 Accutron that came to me in pieces. The case had both lugs on one side, bent, and one lug was cracked, but still attached. The case is a good quality gold filled material, and the plating was in good shape. Obviously, someone before me tried to straighten one bent lug, and quit when the lug cracked. I took the case to a goldsmith friend and asked him to gold solder the cracked lug. He declined, telling me he doesn’t work on gold filled stuff. So I brought it home, got out my acetylene torch, borax, denatured alcohol, charcoal block, and gold solder. Without trying to straighten the cracked lug, I gold soldered it. The process involves carefully heating the whole case ring to the melting temperature of the solder. It soldered beautifully. I cleaned up the case. Now, since the case became annealed in the soldering process, I straightened both the soldered lug, and the other bent one, and neither cracked. You virtually cannot tell the case had been repaired.

22F685EA-EA60-48DF-95C3-5DD5F8EB1243.jpeg

7. redpcar Jan 27, 2021

Quick question: where is the best place to buy gold solder?

Edit: ..........and can I just send you my case? :)

Edited Jan 28, 2021
    DaveK, JwRosenthal and wsfarrell like this.
  8. Dan S Jan 27, 2021

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

9. Canuck Jan 27, 2021

You’ll likely be better off with silver solder. It is available is a number of temperature ranges. Easy 45, Easy, Medium, and Hard. And cheaper than gold solder. Easy or medium is what you would need. Any lapidary supply, or material house that carries watch and jewellery supplies should be able to supply silver solder for you. Failing that, your friendly goldsmith might snip you off a piece. Better yet, tell him the risk is entirely yours, not his, and he might do it for you. As to sending it to me? I live in Canada. With some effort, you might be able to find someone closer to your location, with some effort. :)

Shabbaz and noelekal like this.
  10. Dan S Jan 27, 2021

Unfortunately, by the time the OP buys solder, flux, and a torch, he will be upside-down on the watch.

11. marcn Enough space to say witty Jan 27, 2021

If you can find a jeweler in your location that has a laser welding unit (large shops that offer onsite repairs typically do, as they're used for repairing prong tips for stone settings, fine chains, etc.) I'd suggest that as the first route to explore before doing it yourself.
    [Edit: Though honestly, I really do want the see the results of a DIY on this. ;) ]

Tako Yaki likes this.
  12. Canuck Jan 27, 2021

True enough. But if the OP hasn’t any experience in gold or silver soldering, the expense of buying what he needs wouldn’t feasible. And could ge disastrous. That’s why I suggested he might be able to canvass a few goldsmiths to see if one will take pity on him.

Dan S likes this.
  13. Professor Jan 27, 2021

If you can find "Hi-Force 44" solder its insanely strong. I've used it several times to mount rifle sights and scope bases and repair cast brass figurines.

14. Tako Yaki Jan 27, 2021

Hi,

Solder on a chromed case will not help, either silver- or gold-solder!
    What @marcnorth wrote would be the proper way, he know what he’s talking about!
    Laser weld is the way to go!
    It will be even cheaper than trying it by Yourself!

best of luck!

Edited Jan 28, 2021
  15. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 28, 2021

I was going to write something punctuated with exclamation points, but someone used them all up :oops:

Shabbaz likes this.
  16. Dries Jan 28, 2021

Could be an interesting project that.

I’d give it a try with acytilene torch (or a normal one if available) and do some badic brazing. You’d also need flux.

as said earlier, re-chroming required afterwards, but you can find basic kits for that.

in any event, let us know which way you decide to go!

17. Professor Jan 28, 2021

If its chromed then the metal under the chrome is almost certainly a copper alloy. That's what the solder would be in contact with inside the break, not the surface plating.
    High Force 44 holds brass to any ferrous steel or brass to brass with a terrific strength and durability. It requires its own proprietary flux to work best.

18. Tako Yaki Jan 28, 2021

Sorry, but soldered seams do not have a „terrific strength“!
    A soldered seam has never the same strength as the original material!
    As seen in the picture, the lugs are not so thick, anyway.
    And, why to try something by Yourself, if a professional can do it better and cheaper?!
    Once done right, he has a nice watch, done wrong, most professionals will refuse to repair it, I guess!
    Less headaches!

But, it’s was just a friendly suggestion!
    No offense!
    Just my own thinking!

The owner of the watch can do whatever he likes do do with the watch!

wsfarrell and OllieOnTheRocks like this.
  19. S.H. Jan 28, 2021

For some reason I ignore, no jeweller I know (and they are good) want to touch plated stuff like this. Steel=> laser, gold or silver lugs can be repaired or remade from scratch, but brass => trash.

20. Tako Yaki Jan 28, 2021

It’s nice to bring it back to „life“!
    Maybe there is a benchjeweler with a laser, he can convince to do it for him for a good bottle ....