Forums Latest Members

Shop recommendations for repair of gold capped case

1. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Aug 13, 2018

Anyone have experience with any US based shops capable of repairing a gold capped watch case whose lugs have been worn down by a Speidel bracelet?

I spoke to LA Watchwerks but they seemed unsure whether they can do such repair. Initially the representative said they don't do gold plating but I emphasized that this was gold capping for what it's worth. Photos were sent to them but I'm not holding my breath. I imagine that this being a common issue someone on this forum has experience with this type of repair.

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 13, 2018

@Dre ...What was the name of that place up in Montreal?

3. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Aug 13, 2018

These guys?

Edited Nov 19, 2020
    felsby and connieseamaster like this.
  4. bgrisso Aug 13, 2018

what kind of repair? Do you mean the plating/cap or damage to the base metal underneath?

I am in the middle of getting a gold plated case completely redone, just as an experiment, but it's costing me $350 and probably not worth it at all....

5. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Aug 13, 2018

The gold cap has worn down to the base metal around the spring bar opening in a circular fashion where the bracelet contacts the inside of the lug. The rest of the inside of the lug is intact.

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 13, 2018

Seems to me that first you need to do the metal work, fill and drill, and then re-plate. Weather or not its worth it depends on the value of the piece. I'd also find a shop that would handle the whole process.

7. bgrisso Aug 13, 2018

I don't think you can selectively repair the plating/cap ? You have to do the entire thing, or not at all ? And for plated pieces, my gut is that it's not worth it financially. I would only do it for pieces with major sentimental value......

taka likes this.
  8. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Aug 13, 2018

It is actually a valuable piece despite being gold capped. I certainly don’t want to recap the whole watch as I’m concerned that would affect its value vs just selectively filling the affected area.

9. ConElPueblo Aug 13, 2018

I think it ought to be possible on a gold capped piece; it is a fairly thick layer of gold.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 13, 2018

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 13, 2018

12. bgrisso Aug 13, 2018

I could be wrong for sure, it's worth exploring.

These people are doing a case replate for me now, but I have not seen the results yet so I cannot comment....

http://www.watchplating.com/

13. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Aug 13, 2018

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 13, 2018

Well ..now I know where to send my wife's Spaceview...

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 13, 2018

Ripoff report is an extortion scheme. Google RGM and see the one for them. Its hysterical and has been debunked. I'd not go on that. Folks here have used Bob R. I think you need to be very specific on what you want done.

Rasputin likes this.
  16. bgrisso Aug 13, 2018

these guys did a jewelry project for me that came out well, but when I tried to get them to do a watch project, could never reach them. Left multiple voice mails, emails, never heard back, gave up. Eventually they said they were on vacation plus the emails had gone to spam.

I find the people doing plating projects to be a unique breed of person that seem to avoid customer service, communications, deadlines, or the like. Obviously a broad generalization, but I've talked to a lot of places. I think they get TONS of inquires, but not a lot of follow through, and so they are pretty laid back on responding. It would be ideal to work with someone in person, and not via mail/phone/email.

http://artisanplating.com/plating-services/gold-plating/

ConElPueblo and Larry S like this.
  17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 13, 2018

Had the same experience with a local plating shop recently. Must be the fumes. :D

18. omegastar Aug 13, 2018

You just have to have it filled with yellow or pink gold by a competent jeweller. Gold welding is all it needs.

Larry S and Rasputin like this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 13, 2018

I have sent cases to Peter before - communication is limited but the work was done well. To be honest reading that ripoff report I would put zero credibility in it. The person writing the complaint says this:

"Apparently, he took it upon himself, with no authorization from me, the client, to remove all the old palting from the case, and replate the whole case!"

But earlier he says this:

"Otherwise, just clean and polish (a $50 charge)."

The first red flag is that you don't "polish" plated cases, not unless you want to replate it again because simple polishing will remove the plating in a flash. So in fact he did authorize the plating to be removed and redone. So I would assume the $250 charge was for that plus repairing of the hinge.

Larry S and Rasputin like this.
  20. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 14, 2018

I was of the opinion that Gold cap couldn’t be redone ( yes i know plating can but that is a very different process ) but the more I think about this, it should be possible for a competent jeweller with the right equipment to repair Gold cap/filled by which I mean a laser welding machine etc. Keep looking! In the uk I would be speaking with STS, Watchworks and Simon Freese.