Solar eclipse 2024 in North America

Anyone excited about the upcoming solar eclipse on April 8, 2024? Me and my kids are planning to head to the local park with a wide open field to see it. It'll only be 90% covered in NYC but that's good enough for me.

I splurged on some pricey eye protection ($30 each and made in the US). I rather spend the money than damage our eyes with counterfeit Amazon ones.

1000007658.jpg

Will also bring the Speedy with moonphase.

1000007510.jpg

I bought a new 70mm~300mm lens, a solar filter, and a remote shutter button for my camera. I'm in the 94% coverage zone, but I'm debating taking off work Monday so I can drive to a place with 100% coverage.

Luckily, I still know exactly where my solar viewing glasses from last time are so I'll probably head out and take a look. Just need to remember!

I was looking in the misc stuff drawer for the solar eclipse glasses filter glasses and I found this:

IMG_4416.png

It is a dried out sticky rubber ball point pen!

IMG_4417.png

Was thinking I could post this in the Tissot subsection. Which has yet to be created. So I guess it fits here as well as any place.

Did find the eclipse viewer. Will not be much to see here as I think it is only 20% IMG_4418.png

Glad you began this thread Zman4eva, for I was just around on the interstate filling the tank on the pickup in order to beat the eclipse weekend crowd while considering starting a thread. The excitement is almost electric in our small town an hour south of Dallas/Fort Worth (read that it's already nuts in town). They tell us that we're one of the best locales in Texas for viewing, with a 4:23 totality time and easy access. Anticipation is for eight times the local population to descend on us beginning today. Observing our streets, it would appear so. Cloud cover forecast for Monday is not shaping up well though.

We're watching the weather forecasts and may bail out of here and chase down the eclipse if sky is cloudy here. Most likely we'll hole up right here in our out-of-the-way neighborhood.

Bring your umbrella
Supposed to be rain here in Austin 🙁

I'm in the 100% coverage in central TX, supposed to be cloudy on Monday but they are expecting 100,000 plus visitors to our town of 12,000. I saw the total eclipse in 2017 in Northern Idaho, something to be experienced. For those who are in the 90+% area and think it will be 'close enough', it won't be. There is a HUGE difference even between 97%-98%, and 100%. So spend a bit of time and get to a 100% total coverage viewing point, it will be worth it.

Cloudy or not......it will get dark.
Edited:

I'm driving up to Watertown NY to stay with family. I saw the one in 2017 and it was amazing. I hope we get good skies so my kid can experience it. But, I'm also worried about being trapped in traffic for 24 hours. Looks like upstate NY will be very crowded.

It's very cool even if you just get to see a partial eclipse but totality is eery spooky awesomeness.

I'm in the 100% coverage in central TX, supposed to be cloudy on Monday but they are expecting 100,000 plus visitors to our town of 12,000. I saw the total eclipse in 2017 in Northern Idaho, something to be experienced. For those who are in the 90+% area and think it will be 'close enough', it won't be. There is a HUGE difference even between 97%-98%, and 100%. So spend a bit of time and get to a 100% total coverage viewing point, it will be worth it.

Cloudy or not......it will get dark.

100,000 visitors. I guess the hype is real.

100,000 visitors. I guess the hype is real.

Yeah, where we are going is projecting 200K people on a town of 25K people. I'm starting wonder if we need to go up on Sat instead of early on Sun...

I’m waiting for some idiot politician to claim it’s a commie plot to destroy the US!…. Shouldn’t take long now!

I’m waiting for some idiot politician to claim it’s a commie plot to destroy the US!…. Shouldn’t take long now!
Nah, no Commie plots blamed for the 2017 eclipse, so I think we are safe for Monday.

I wonder what the flat earthers have to say about it?

598344aa19a82.image.jpg

We got 100% of the 2017 eclipse. Surreal experience, even the nightly crickets started singing. Here’s my shot of the event.

I bought a new 70mm~300mm lens, a solar filter, and a remote shutter button for my camera. I'm in the 94% coverage zone, but I'm debating taking off work Monday so I can drive to a place with 100% coverage.

I also bought a filter for my 70-300 lens, so hoping for good weather!

I would recommend not to spend a lot of time trying to photograph totality, you'll find plenty of pics online of it in your area. Instead focus on your surroundings for the 4 1/2 minutes of totality.....the drop in temperature, the reaction of the birds and any animals, the wind, the view in the distance if your position allows it. You only have a short time and I wouldn't waste it fiddling with taking a lot of pictures. I took a bunch of pictures in 2017 and I haven't looked at them since, but I vividly remember my physical surroundings at the time. That's what I plan to focus on this coming Monday. I'll take a few pics of my neighborhood and house, but other than that I'm going to focus on the physical and visual aspects at ground level.