Solar eclipse 2024 in North America

My parents have a place at Canyon Lake (TX hill country) where we'll get a little over 2 minutes of 100%, weather permitting. I've got glasses and a filter for my 130mm telescope, but the outlook is not promising.

I’m waiting for some idiot politician to claim it’s a commie plot to destroy the US!…. Shouldn’t take long now!

...well, CERN is scheduled to re-start the Large Hadron Collider on April 8th after a two-year shutdown. Coincidence???!!! 😁

...well, CERN is scheduled to re-start the Large Hadron Collider on April 8th after a two-year shutdown. Coincidence???!!! 😁

888358.jpg
It's all connected!

I hope you get clear skys and a great experience, I am a bit envious.

So what is up with the signs and portents these days?

Earthquakes in NY, Green Comets An Eclipse across the eastern USofA?

Anyone here named Cassandra?

For the flat earthers I did check my Farmer's Almanac. Mercury is retrograde all month. I did not check Mars for abnormalities.

As the red queen told Alice, Anything you tell me three times is true.

On a side note: My favorite effects are to look at the shadows under plant leaves. The mach bands on the horizon, and how the birds go quiet. Sometimes the streetlights come on as well.

I second those who say do not bother photographing it. The eye sees different than chemical or digital photography.

I also bought a filter for my 70-300 lens, so hoping for good weather!

Unfortunately, in my area the forecast calls for overcast skies. Since I'm having to travel about three hours, I'm going to keep a close eye on the sky on my drive.

I’ll just leave this here for our American friends. Thoughts & prayers.

IMG_3288.jpeg

I'm driving up to Watertown NY to stay with family. I saw the one in 2017 and it was amazing. I hope we get good skies so my kid can experience it. But, I'm also worried about being trapped in traffic for 24 hours. Looks like upstate NY will be very crowded.

It's very cool even if you just get to see a partial eclipse but totality is eery spooky awesomeness.

Whoa, dude - did you say Watertown, New York? That’s my hometown!

Whoa, dude - did you say Watertown, New York? That’s my hometown!

Indeed! My cousin and her family live there and is going to let us crash with them. At this point, I think we're committed, but there's a chance we get trapped in traffic the whole time and/or have bad skies.

But I'm excited to visit. I always thought it was a cool little town. I love all the old Victorian homes.

Earthquakes in NY
Earthquake was in NJ about 40 miles from me. Woke up to the whole building shaking. We’re not used to that around here. It was pretty wild.

Earthquake was in NJ about 40 miles from me. Woke up to the whole building shaking. We’re not used to that around here. It was pretty wild.

Same, shook for a good 5 seconds. My brother in NJ said his house shook for about a minute (probably exaggerating).

Anyone else remember 2011? This time felt stronger.

I do. This time was definitely worse. I remember back then I was at work and everyone got out of the building. Then everyone started calling family or whoever and overloaded the mobile networks so people’s phones stopped working.

IMG_3288.jpeg

Oh, we remember...
200w.gif

Same, shook for a good 5 seconds. My brother in NJ said his house shook for about a minute (probably exaggerating).

Yes, I remember 2011. I was in my office on the 11th floor (top floor of the building). There was a palpable feeling of sway for a few seconds, but that was all. It was enough to set off the building alarms though and we all had to evacuate.

IMG_3288.jpeg

I think he was pointing at the Jewish space lasers...

Yes, I remember 2011. I was in my office on the 11th floor (top floor of the building). There was a palpable feeling of sway for a few seconds, but that was all. It was enough to set off the building alarms though and we all had to evacuate.

13th floor in Midtown Manhattan for me. That was back when I used to go into the office. No evacuation though. Everyone just went back to work. New Yorkers.

I’ve woken to everything shakin’ like a dog shitting razor blades! Not an earthquake though just a bad case of the DTs