Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 105.003 service options in North America

1. mozambique Sep 26, 2014

Hi,
    I just bought my first Speedmaster and enquired at the local Omega store in Vancouver regarding getting it serviced. I stipulated in my email that I was after a service of the movement, but did not want anything changed to the rest of the watch purely for cosmetic reasons.

The response I got was:

Thank you for contacting the OMEGA Boutique Vancouver.

Regards to the service for your 1965 Speedmaster, the first step is to ship the piece to our national service locates in Toronto, ON. Our watchmaker will determine if they can perform the service there or with your permission have it service in Switzerland. Usually it will takes 4-6 weeks to complete a service in Toronto, and it will takes a few months to complete in Switzerland. Normally it will cost from $730 up to $1500 plus shipping and tax depends on the movement in your case.

We understand your concerns that you want to keep the unique look of your piece as original as possible and don’t want any cosmetic work done. Unfortunately, our goal at OMEGA has to maintain the performance of the movement works within our factory specification, the guaranty of water resistance and the 24 months of international warranty on the jobs done on the piece, we can’t not guarantee that the hands, pushers and the crown will not be replace. Sometimes, if they find water/moisture mark on the dial, they will need to replace it as well.

I was slightly taken aback that a) the watch might have to be sent back to Switzerland and b) that they would not guarantee that hands, dial etc. would not be replaced???

Can anyone recommend a trusted independent watchmaker who is capable of servicing such vintage watches in North America? Does $CDN700 - $CDN1,500 seem the right ballpark?

Thanks in advance!

2. g-boac Sep 26, 2014

YES!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE IN CANADA. ONE OPTION AND ONE OPTION ONLY: AL ARCHER, WWW.ARCHERWATCHES.CA

Period.

You will find supporting references, numbering in the dozens, if not more on this and other forums, testifying to the quality of Al's workmanship.

As for that Omega note - what a mess and a disaster. I am stunned that they can't even answer definitively where the watch will be serviced (Switzerland), nor can they agree to respect your wishes for maintaining the originality of the watch. Stunning.

Go with Al!

Georgieboy58 and Spacefruit like this.
  3. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Sep 26, 2014

Don't send it to Omega send it to Al.

4. KRLYUZH Sep 26, 2014

There or ABC Watchwerks in LA.

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 27, 2014

ABC are very fine watchmakers, but have been unable to service any of my 321's due to lack of parts availability

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 27, 2014

And another vote for Al

7. mozambique Sep 27, 2014

Thanks for the replies guys.

Contacted Al and have booked it in for June, 2015 (yes, he is that busy).

Georgieboy58 likes this.
  8. mozambique Oct 10, 2014

Given Al's backload of work, can anyone recommend another reputable independent watchmaker where I can get a speedmaster 321 serviced in North America?

Thanks in advance!

9. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 24, 2015

I'm also looking to get my cal 321 serviced. I'm in Atlanta, and would like to find someone, like Al, who would have full parts available. I know an Omega guy here who worked on my bumper Constellation, but I know the 321 is a very different 'animal' :cool:...

10. TNTwatch Jan 24, 2015

I believe even Al doesn't have all 321 parts available.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 25, 2015

True, but despite this there has never been a 321 that has come into my shop that I have not successfully repaired/serviced. A lot depends on the condition of course, so if the watch has been exposed to water and is completely rusted inside, well then you are out of luck. But for routine service of a working watch, should not be a problem really.

If your 321 looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Omega or a donor movement are your only options...but hopefully no one has bought one like this or has worn it into the ocean with a pusher missing like this one was.

In the end this one ran fine after I was done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

Taybharr, iflyem1, bazamu and 3 others like this.
  12. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 25, 2015

Amazing 'rise from the ashes' there, Al!

I sent you a PM last night, BTW;)

iflyem1 likes this.
  13. Drawarms Jan 26, 2015

seems about right in price from the company direct