Solar eclipse 2024 in North America

Greenville, Maine on Moosehead Lake. Not a cloud in the sky. Perfect conditions! Beautiful sunny day, then the light starts to get flat and dimmer. Then totality! Zoom in on the photo. Stars come out, streetlights come on, alpengow on the surrounding mountains, full corona with a solar flare visible at about the 7 o’clock position - the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. All told, it was one of the most amazing hours of my life.
upload_2024-4-8_16-22-55.jpeg
upload_2024-4-8_16-39-6.jpeg
upload_2024-4-8_16-43-32.jpeg

And as @vbrad26 just showed, the weird crescent concentric eclipse shadows as the sun came back were incredible.
Now, believe it or not, they’re saying there’s a pretty good chance of Northern Lights tonight!

I'm from the Netherlands and one of my co-workers booked a flight to Montreal to see this phenomenon. Guess the hype was real..

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

The total eclipse an hour south of Dallas, Texas. We suffered a parade of heavy low clouds with mere hints of the sun up until the eclipse when the clouds parted long enough for us to enjoy the full 4:23 minutes of totality. It is more spectacular than expected.

The photos are inserted sequentially. Camera is just a Canon PowerShot so has limited celestial capabilities.

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg
IMG_3681.jpg

@hen

Picture Update : Moon approaching.

IMG_3294.jpeg
Is that in Ferry, Alaska. They do this for the train, and the guy holding the flag looks like the unofficial mayor.

Well done on the photos guys! My 8+ wasn’t up to the task.

Niagara Falls Ontario was expecting a million plus visitors for the eclipse, and hotel rooms were very expensive...a parody account of BlogTO got a little sarcastic...

F5AB9E29-464A-40D2-8C65-CF327F769CA1.jpeg

By the way, the people who paid a couple of grand for a room would have been disappointed, as they had solid cloud cover.

Oh, and this...

848A5FF6-31C0-44CE-85BC-3BE674770F53.jpeg

Drove with a friend today from Houston to Sulphur Springs, TX. (I didn't see any alpacas on the way, just camels and zebras.) Migas on the way there, brisket on the way back, and a really amazing show in between. Forgot to take a picture of my watch with totality, but it's a Speedy, you all know what those look like 😎
PXL_20240408_184316311.jpg PXL_20240408_183403942.jpg

I'm from the Netherlands and one of my co-workers booked a flight to Montreal to see this phenomenon. Guess the hype was real..
Oh yeah, it was totally worth it. I can atttest the atmosphere in Montreal was awesome, more carnival like than anything. And no dent on some of the awesome images posted by members (I know what effort it takes) but watching it in person under clear skies is a bucket list life experience for sure. Your colleague got his money's worth.

Our initial plan was to head to a place on Lake Erie that our neighbours own, but since my wife had meetings most of the morning, we couldn't leave as early as we wanted to and knew that the small community at the beach was going to be jammed, and likely all the roads leading there as well. They texted us at 10 am saying that it was already nuts down there, so we decided not to go there.

I had read that the local drag strip was opening their gates for anyone who wanted to come and watch there, free of charge. So we left after lunch and we initially started out on the same road that leads to the beach community, but we quickly found that traffic was backed up over 15 kms, so we quickly found an alternate route. I don't think the people who we saw at the end of that traffic line made it in time to see any of the eclipse. Apparently the township had decided to make the main road into the beach the way in, and the back way into town the road out, so you couldn't come back the way you went in. If you tried to, the police would stop you and ask for ID because the only way they would let you go against the flow is if you were heading home.

We arrived at the drag strip and very few cars were there initially...view of the track (I used to take a car there years ago on the street nights - it was a lot of fun).

Clear skies but some could moving in...

Getting heavier...

It sort of let up a bit, so although shots through the telephoto lens I posted previously lacked the detail I was hoping for due to the thin clouds, the iPhone shots still looked pretty cool...

My wife had seen a total eclipse before when she was younger living in Australia, but this was my first - it was amazing.