Forums Latest Members

So many Speedmasters to choose from..

1. T60 Mar 30, 2020

I've been lusting over a Speedy for the past ~5 years. I recently sold a watch (thankfully before the virus really hit) and now looking for one. The problem is there are too many to choose from!

I have a small wrist (6.5") and I have tried it on in the store already; it barely makes the cut for me, but so did my Sub C Date which I enjoy wearing. But ultimately I don't care, I'm the one wearing it :)

My first "problem" was trying to figure out if I should pick up the hesalite or sapphire sandwich. After much agony over a couple of weeks I've decided to go with the hesalite because it's a classic. Done, right? Nope.

Now I'm looking over bracelet/strap options for this. I spent a solid week looking through photos and appreciate that pretty much any strap looks good on it, but I'm more of a bracelet guy, so I'm going to buy one with a bracelet since it'll be cheaper than buying the bracelet later on. Still not done though :(

I realize late last night that the bracelet on the current model (and I guess for the past 7 years) has no taper like the old version (1499/1498 bracelets). With a small wrist, I think I need the 4mm taper like my Sub. So now I'm trying to figure out if I should buy one with a leather strap instead to save some cash, then buy a 1499/1498 bracelet if/when I see one. But now I'm also wondering if I should buy used instead, maybe even an older one that already comes with the bracelet I'm looking for. Sigh..

I guess this is all part of the "fun" but it seems like a bit of a headache to me now. (I realize there are a lot of things going on in this world and I'm super appreciative that I can even shop for a watch nowadays).

Readiness77, Owlsu and Mad Dog like this.
  2. 83n Mar 30, 2020

First I think that this is a good time for questions like that. Many of us got time to think about and answer this kind of questions :).

Furthermore, have you thought about the FOIS? Despite the numbers it wears smaller than the Moonwatch and for many it looks a bit more dressy.

Readiness77 likes this.
  3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 30, 2020

This topic title sums up almost 61 years of Omega Speedmaster chronographs... :unsure:

4. T60 Mar 30, 2020

I have -- the problem with the FOIS is it's not the "traditional" speedy and I doubt there really is a 2mm difference in case size. From what I've seen in person and read, the FOIS only measures at 40mm due to the lack of crown guards on the Professional.

5. T60 Mar 30, 2020

Unfortunately true. Now I'm reading the movement may get an update this year...why Omega...

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  6. Peter_from_NL Mar 30, 2020

I have a small wrist too. The croc works good for me. And it gives you the opportunity to change between black and brown and something extra.... idea?

ps, I have the sandwich. But only because I wanted to have a see through back since I did not have that yet. I agree with the hesalite comment.

7. quito No, my first name is NOT Mos. Mar 30, 2020

I have a sapphire sandwich and never wear the original bracelet. With all the strap, mesh, nato and even speidel combos, I would look for a nice older head with great patina. That'll leave you extra money for the next on your wish list. image.jpeg

8. wilderbeast Mar 30, 2020

This is true, but have you tried one on? All I would say is that the difference, however tiny, really stacks up on the wrist and although the FOIS isn’t a true Moonwatch, it’s every inch a Speedy.

9. stuart70 Mar 30, 2020

If you are worried about the size then the FOIS is the way to go. While not being a true ‘moon watch’ many here would argue that only a 321 pre-69 would qualify as a ‘moon watch’. 861 & 1861 are just re-issues of the original.

10. abrod520 Mar 30, 2020

You could buy a service 1171/1, you could set up eBay alerts for '80s Speedmasters (which would potentially have 1171 or 1479 bracelets), you could go aftermarket like the new Forstner remakes...

you've got options

quito and Foo2rama like this.
  11. bama2141 Mar 30, 2020

Part of the appeal of the Speedy is the endless number of strap and bracelet options. Changing things up every once and a while keeps the ownership experience fresh. Get the big box hesalite version new with bracelet and wear it for a while. Pick up a leather strap or two later - black and brown. Once you’ve invested the big bucks on the watch, the cost to change things up is fairly low.

Just for another option ... here’s my sapphire sandwich on a beads of rice:

5DB1CD6F-AA5E-40E4-BD68-C48AB79C8364.jpeg

And a hesalite on the 1479

904D3AB8-628E-4FC9-9560-93C930B964F8.jpeg

scapa and djmusicman like this.
  12. brownwld Mar 30, 2020

I couldn´t wear the moonwatch on the actual version of the bracelet as well. But the Moonwatch is such a special watch leather and anto was able to fix it :)

13. RI Omega Fan Mar 30, 2020

Just for another option ... here’s my sapphire sandwich on a beads of rice:

View attachment 957791

Is your beads of rice bracelet from Uncle Seiko? If so, do you find it heavy?

14. bama2141 Mar 30, 2020

Yes, it’s from Uncle Seiko. Fits very well, no rattling. I’d say it feels a bit lighter than the standard Speedy bracelet but heavier than the 1479. Very comfy.

RI Omega Fan likes this.
  15. Owlsu Apr 1, 2020

I have a smaller wrist than yours (about 6.25) and I have a Speedmaster on the current bracelet as well as owning a 1499 bracelet.

Both bracelets fit fine really even on a small wrist, it's just the current one is a lot heavier and looks more modern and sporty, but the 1499 one looks more vintage - but still modern because it uses that brushed/polished style the same as the current bracelet.

The new bracelet is safer/more secure because it secures with a double push button clasp but the 1499 can just open on it's own if enough force hits the clasp.

I wouldn't really say either is better than the other. Sometimes I feel the 4mm taper is just too excessive and other times I like it and feel the current bracelet is too modern for a plastic crystal vintage styled watch.

It's definitely better to get it on the bracelet rather than leather though. You can also get half links for the 1499/1498 but can't on the modern bracelet.

scapa likes this.
  16. scapa Apr 1, 2020

OP, my wrist is pretty small and I have no difficulty with the current-gen Speedy Pro. It's case shape and modest lug-to-lug make it easier to adapt to a small wrist than, say, my nominally-smaller (in one dimension at least) but longer 39mm IWC Spitfire. I also had the FOIS briefly and did not notice much difference between them in terms of wearability, though I did find it a bit easier to wind -- ultimately preferred the hesalite and greater legibility of the standard Moonwatch. I'd take the Trilogy over the rest, but not at the current hefty premium.

Within the Speedy family lies great variety for sure. My calculus involved a few simple decisions: new over vintage, hand-wind over auto, availability in my country of residence, black dial over others, bracelet over strap (for initial purchase, anyway). Now that I've invested in a quintessential Speedy I'm more minded to investigate some other options. But I agree that it's easy to become bewildered with the choices on offer with such a storied and varied watch.

T60 likes this.