Forums Latest Members
  1. floataround Dec 26, 2020

Hi all,

I've had my SMP 300 for about 3 months , bought new at an AD. Last week one of the buttons on the clasp got stuck in. I was able to get it to release by giving the inside of the clasp a little push, but it will get stuck again after a few pushes. I've been able to mostly mitigate the issue by pressing both buttons in at the same time; they don't seem to get stuck that way. I'm assuming Omega won't have any issue fixing this as the watch is 3 months old , and the AD I purchased from is out of state, but I would hate to send in my brand new watch for what could be weeks over a fault clasp.

Is this something that I would be able to resolve on my own? Any other fixes or things to try ?

ADD76E23-26E5-4917-A823-7E5827E2C4AB.jpeg
  2. Caliber561 Dec 26, 2020

An AD or OB should be able to replace the clasp on the spot as long as they have one in stock. Worst case scenario, you can send the bracelet in under warranty, and keep the watch head to wear while it's away.

FL23833 likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 27, 2020

Needs new clasp springs, and Omega would likely repair this for you at no cost.

4. floataround Dec 27, 2020

Thanks. I'm going to try and see if the AD will do anything for me (I would hope so as I'm about to buy another watch). I have an OB about an hour away but when I've called them before they said they wouldn't do anything for me at the store and would just send it out, so I'm probably better off dealing with Omega on my own if the AD can't help. Any idea how long it would take to get the bracelet back? I know if can take months at times for watch servicing

5. kcgunner Dec 28, 2020

I had the exact same issue. I took it in to my AD and they sent it off to omega to be replaced. It took about 2 months but it came back and I haven't had a problem with it yet. I noticed the part number on the clasp did change. So maybe the fixed it and used a new part. If you can't send it in then I have heard some WD-40 or oil in the hole seems to help.

6. aleksejeremeev Dec 31, 2020

The spring has jumped out of its place, but most likely it has burst and needs to be replaced with a new one.

7. aleksejeremeev Dec 31, 2020

8. floataround Jan 5, 2021

I’m looking to pick up another piece and will probably send it out then; I’ve noticed if I don’t press the same clasp button in a row it won’t stick, nor will it stick if I press them at the same time, so it’s still very usable on the bracelet. Glad to hear that there is a new part number, I’d hate to send it out for that long just to get a new clasp back that is still faulty.

9. kcgunner Jan 5, 2021

Yeah it’s a very slight part number change. I’m not 100% sure they changed anything. But I have not had an issue with the replacement clasp.

10. lunarwire Apr 24, 2021

This happened to me a few days ago. I managed to fix it on my own tonight because the closest AD to me is in another state. Hey, it's Saturday and I'm bored.

I took apart the clasp and realized it's not exactly a spring issue but that the pusher was out of alignment or "stuck". The inside of the pushers are shaped like "half circles" and those ends make contact with the release mechanism. Somehow one of those "half circles" get snagged inside.

So all I did was take it apart and reassemble it. During reassembly I made sure the pushers were seated correctly before re-inserting the four screws that hold the clasp together.

Just wanted to share this with the community in case anyone with the same issue stumbles upon this thread and can't get to an AD for a replacement.

wilfreb and tubeamps like this.
  11. kcgunner Apr 24, 2021

I had the same issue. And did the exact same thing. It worked for a while but it always stopped working soon after. I ended up putting a single drop of gun oil into the clasp hole and it fixed it permanently. All the work of taking it apart was meaningless for me.

PRW and lunarwire like this.
  12. lunarwire Apr 24, 2021

Thanks for the tip! I'll try that as well.

13. PRW Jul 10, 2021

PXL_20210710_162657902.jpg

kcgunner likes this.
  14. kcgunner Jul 10, 2021

PRW likes this.
  15. PRW Jul 10, 2021

So far.
    Will probably lube it up every 6 months.
    That gun oil is pretty good stuff.

16. kcgunner Jul 10, 2021

I tried everything else and none of it worked for more than a few pushes. But for some reason the oil worked perfectly. I know it's not a long term solution if you dive or get it wet often, I'm sure the oil will eventually wash out but I don't swim so it worked great for me.

PRW likes this.
  17. floataround Jul 14, 2021

Does it just kind of dry on? Just curious what would happen once the drop is in.

18. kcgunner Jul 14, 2021

I mean it won’t really dry. It’ll wear off on its own over time. There are some gun oils that you can heat up and they’ll bond with the steel more permanently. But I didn’t want to heat up steel that is so thin in some spots.

19. floataround Jul 14, 2021

I guess I mean more along the lines of what does the oil do; does it just stick the inside of the clasp? Do I need to let it sit to bond to some degree? Do I let any excess drip out?

I probably sound dumb, just never used gun oil before!

20. kcgunner Jul 14, 2021

I put one drop in and let it sit for a few mins. Then I wiped up any excess and that was it. As far as what it does…..I’m not really sure but it worked for me.