Forums Latest Members
  1. unload Mar 3, 2020

Hi guys,

I have a current gen SMPC 300 diver (a few months old) and one of the buttons on the double push button clasp stays depressed so that I only need to push one side/button to open. Is this something you think an AD or external watch shop can fix or do you think I will need to send this to the Omega service center?

Basically one side stays depressed. The watch is pretty new not sure how this happened.

Thanks!

Handgelenkt likes this.
  2. Handgelenkt Mar 3, 2020

I mean it sounds obvious but have you tried cleaning it with a toothbrush and warm water? There might be some dirt in there. You could also try some kind of silicon spray (WD-40). If nothing helps, I'd go to OMEGA.

3. Donn Chambers Mar 3, 2020

Someone else reported a similar issue on one of those watches a few weeks ago - turns out there was a spring missing. Take it back to the AD and they will sort it out under warranty. There must have been a batch of bad clasps that went out.

unload likes this.
  4. Handgelenkt Mar 3, 2020

WOW! Thats annoying...

unload likes this.
  5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 3, 2020

Please do not use WD-40. It has fish oil in it and it will gum up and turn to glue.

Get some electronics cleaner in a spray can from the hardware store. That stuff will clean nearly anything.

Tom

ScubaRawb likes this.
  6. unload Mar 3, 2020

thanks I did not try wd40 but good idea in theory- i will try the electronics cleaner but I do not think its dirty since a few months old, only worn maybe 15 times. (rotation)

Donn Chambers said:
    Someone else reported a similar issue on one of those watches a few weeks ago - turns out there was a spring missing. Take it back to the AD and they will sort it out under warranty. There must have been a batch of bad clasps that went out.

hmm, yeah that is the best idea.

thanks all!!!

7. ExpiredWatchdog Mar 6, 2020

Question: does the button come out when the clasp is not closed? If so, I have a similar problem on my SMPO clasp. Mine isn't so bad that you can't get the problem button not to engage, but if you aren't careful, it won't engage and the other button will easily open the clasp. In this condition, you can also open the clasp by grasping it and rocking toward the side of the errant button.

This problem has come up on various forums before. My suspicion is that the pin the buttons engage on is slightly bent away from the side with the errant button, causing the rim the button engages to be a little lower than designed. I suspect this to be a manufacturing defect and I'm surprised that a three-month old watch would have it; most examples I've read about were several years ago.

I've thought about devising some tooling to try to straighten the pin, but my milling machine is in storage at the moment.

Mine was purchased GM so I would have to buy another clasp out-of-pocket. But for the $$ saved, I'm still way ahead. If yours was purchased at an AD, use the warranty.

8. unload Mar 7, 2020

No, mine is the same, one side always pushed in, when open or closed.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 7, 2020

Most likely one of the springs is bad or missing. Easily fixed.