Should i send it for cleaning?

I have been trolling on this site for some time learning about vintage Omega. The more I look at the picture the more I want one....Thanks to all for their insights and wisdom in this area...quite a group.

So anyway, I decided to buy a vintage with some criteria...must be manual wind, preferably early 50's, not SS, must have some gold, dial must be simple design, no date, prefer seconds hand but no sub-second,,,would love a Seamaster..and be less than $500 as a starter...When I put all the criteria,a expected I could not find that fit all conditions...the one I found had to be a non-Seamaster....but here we are....my new old Omega...

What I need help is in the area of cleaning.? the watch looks like the insides could help with cleaning..However it runs well, gives me 36 hours of power reserve ( on 36 turns ) and keeps accuracy a minute in 36 hours...I thought that was pretty good for a 1954 watch...So if I send it to clean, will I get better accuracy? Will that preserve the movements longer? Thoughts

- 1954 Omega
- 283 Caliber

Thanks

I have been trolling on this site for some time learning about vintage Omega. The more I look at the picture the more I want one....Thanks to all for their insights and wisdom in this area...quite a group.

So anyway, I decided to buy a vintage with some criteria...must be manual wind, preferably early 50's, not SS, must have some gold, dial must be simple design, no date, prefer seconds hand but no sub-second,,,would love a Seamaster..and be less than $500 as a starter...When I put all the criteria,a expected I could not find that fit all conditions...the one I found had to be a non-Seamaster....but here we are....my new old Omega...

What I need help is in the area of cleaning.? the watch looks like the insides could help with cleaning..However it runs well, gives me 36 hours of power reserve ( on 36 turns ) and keeps accuracy a minute in 36 hours...I thought that was pretty good for a 1954 watch...So if I send it to clean, will I get better accuracy? Will that preserve the movements longer? Thoughts

- 1954 Omega
- 283 Caliber

Thanks

A proper service will preserved the parts of the watch. The regulator is pushed all the way to the slow "A", so it is a safe bet the watch needs a service.

Hello and welcome to the forum! It looks like the movement is dirty and hasn’t been serviced for a while. Whilst running and accuracy are encouraging, it’s best to have this looked over by a good local watchmaker to take it apart, clean, lubricate and regulate. If you post your location, it’s likely that members here can point you in the right direction of a trusted watchmaker near to you.

thanks....I am in NJ/NYC area...I had looked at the previous posts and the recommendation was to NOT use omega dealer...I did see some reference to NYC locations but would appreciate some ideas...On the other hand I am not opposed to shipping it out for service...Nesbits came up high in the many threads...but I believe it will be as expensive as the watch!!!

thanks....I am in NJ/NYC area...I had looked at the previous posts and the recommendation was to NOT use omega dealer...I did see some reference to NYC locations but would appreciate some ideas...On the other hand I am not opposed to shipping it out for service...Nesbits came up high in the many threads...but I believe it will be as expensive as the watch!!!
Any competent watchmaker with vintage experience is fine. Shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks, plus parts.

- 1954 Omega
- 283 Caliber

Thanks
By the way, congratulations on your new, stunning piece!

thanks have to say it looks better on your wrist when it is not magnified 100 times over and you can see a speck of dust on the case