Forums Latest Members

Should I Send This To Rolex?

1. timoss Apr 19, 2022

Hi, all-- I am well aware of the Do's and Don't's of sending watches into Omega for service, but I have never sent one to Rolex for service. I recently picked up a watch as a gift for my step-mother, and would like to give it to her in "top condition," so to speak. I dropped it at a Rolex Service Center and they gave me the evaluation below and I'm wondering how much to give them the green light on and how much to ask them not to do. It's not a vintage piece (it's from 1996), so perhaps just let them go all the way?

Here's the analysis:
    Slow, Bezel Nicked, Bracelet Scratched, Bracelet Worn, Dial Spotted, Hands Spotted, Hands Scratched, Luminous
    Worn, Case Scratched, Bezel Scratched, Crown Worn, Case Back With Sticker.

Here are a few pics of the watch:
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a96.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a95.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a9c.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a97.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a99.jpg

I would be inclined to ask them to do the movement service and the bracelet work, and leave the rest alone. However, if they could do the other items mentioned without "compromising" the originality or sharpness of the existing parts, then perhaps having them do it all is not a bad idea?

Advice appreciated!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a95.jpg
    ashu2289 and Duracuir1 like this.
  2. Canuck Apr 19, 2022

I suggest that you do NOT send it to Rolex! Their inclination is to return the watch to new, cosmetically and mechanically. This will be a very expensive repair! All you need is a thorough movement service, and leave the cosmetics alone. A competent independent watchmaker should be able to do that for you.

Benbradstock, kkt, Bizcut1 and 11 others like this.
  3. nicks Apr 19, 2022

FWIW, I agree with Canuck’s suggestion. The watch is already in very good cosmetic condition. Absolutely wearable and by the way a nice gift.

From the pictures, it looks as if the centre part of the end link at 6 is bent. If it were mine, I’d see whether a local watchmaker or jeweller could fix that. That could be a challenge (not easy?), but there is always Rolliworks and/or perhaps it can be replaced at a Rolex AD.

Pun and JwRosenthal like this.
  4. smoothsecondscom Apr 19, 2022

I agree; just service it.

5. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2022

Agree with above. If this were a basket case I would say let Rolex have at it. But the minute cosmetic blemished could easily be overlooked or cleaned up by a good watchmaker without having to replace cosmetic parts at an insane cost

Pun and timoss like this.
  6. Dan S Apr 19, 2022

I would not let them replace any parts, including bezel/dial/hands; they look fine to me. If you feel your MIL would appreciate a refinished bracelet/case, I don't see a problem with that.

marco, timoss and JwRosenthal like this.
  7. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 19, 2022

Lovely watch. If it were me, I would have the RSC do a complete overhaul. I just had my Submariner done and they did a fantastic job. The cost was $810, which included $60 for shipping. But that's just me. And as I said, a lovely watch :thumbsup:

Rodentman and timoss like this.
  8. timoss Apr 19, 2022

Thanks all for the suggestions, folks! Appreciate it. Let me think it over some...

9. Davidt Apr 19, 2022

I wouldn’t assign the same collectibility risks to a ladies 90’s Rolex that I would to a 60’s, gents Omega, so personally that wouldn’t be a factor for me.

I’d simply go with what I want the outcome to be. If I want a pristine watch with a shiny service card I’d go to Rolex. If I don’t care about that, and a good clean and service will suffice (which it likely would for most people with this watch) I’d go with that option.

The only other thing I’d add is that some watchmakers have started to say they will no longer work on Rolex due to lack of parts, or they’ll source them as required and add this cost on, so if a watch has known issues, mechanical or cosmetic I can see the appeal of going the RSC route for less collectible watches.

10. Evitzee Apr 19, 2022

If you are gifting it to your step-mom it should be in excellent mechanical and cosmetic shape. This is not some sort of classic watch, it's a steel and gold Rolex made 25 years ago in the millions. Send it to Rolex and have them do a full proper service. I just had my wife's 2007 steel DJ serviced for the first time by Rolex in Dallas, it was in well used condition and scratched and marked all over. Rolex did a fantastic job on everything and it came back looking like new, as it should at this point in its life. Wife was not interested in getting back the same scratched up watch she sent in. I doubt your step-mom wants a gift that looks used.

Have Rolex do the work, everyone will be happier in the end product. And I'm always amazed at how many vintage Rolex's still have the original green sticker on the back with all the wrist cheese and bacteria that will accumulate after 25+ years. That's the first thing I'd clean up.

I'm not sure Rolex will do partial work, they give you an estimate and you either say Yes or No. I could be wrong but I don't think you can tell them to do the overhaul on the movement, touch up the case, but don't do anything else.

Edited Apr 19, 2022
    jaguar11 and JwRosenthal like this.
  11. johnireland Apr 19, 2022

If you want the watch to be like new, send it to Rolex. If you only want it to run like new, but be cosmetically altered, send it to a great indie. Very handsome watch by the way.

jaguar11 and timoss like this.
  12. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Apr 19, 2022

+1 to this.

Unless your MIL is a collector, it’s unlikely she will be concerned with the T’s on the dial and originality of the piece (replaced dial/hands). If she is, awesome! Do a sympathetic service. If not, send it to Rolex and have them make this look new for her with a dial/hands she can read when they glow. And personally, take that sticker off. I can tell you right now that my MIL would not be okay knowing someone else’s DNA is stuck to that worn down sticker.

timoss and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. timoss Apr 19, 2022

Wow real divergence of opinion here! Rolex WILL follow instructions, at least as far as I have probed so far. I already discussed potentially not polishing the case and similar with them and they have no issue with that.

I have to give this some more thought.

14. Caracal25 Apr 19, 2022

If I were giving my Mom such a thoughtful gift I would be sure to make sure it was perfect inside and out. Originality certainly isn't as important on this one as say a Sports model.

Om3ga321 likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 19, 2022

If Rolex believes that for example the lume might flake off the dial or hands, and even remotely have a chance of causing the watch to come back under warranty, then any instructions will go out the window. You will be required to change those parts, or if you are lucky, they may return it to you unserviced.

If those things are important to you, then there’s risk using Rolex. If you don’t care about those things, then it won’t matter. Really up to you to decide.

Cheers, Al

JwRosenthal and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  16. Donn Chambers Apr 19, 2022

Not going to add anything about where to service it, but did want to say that looks a lot better than the photos you posted a few weeks ago. I thing you got a good deal.

(Still don’t like that old green sticker on the back though.) :)

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  17. jaguar11 Apr 19, 2022

A year ago I had my 16800 serviced at King's Hill London and they recommended a new dial/hands for the reason of potential damage from degrading lume. I declined this (amongst other things) which they accepted on condition that the service guarantee would not cover such damage. Of course I assume if the lume is seriously degraded they may insist or not service. The watch in question is relatively modern so perhaps flaking lume may not be an issue and the owner could insist on the same and retain the original dial/hands.

Edited Apr 19, 2022
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 20, 2022

I don’t know what Kings Hill London is. Is that an RSC, or a third party service provider?

In any case if they were only recommending new dial and hands, then likely there was no visible damage or lume that was actually flaking. Those conditions would have made it a mandatory exchange.

19. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 20, 2022

Is this something that happened when you sent a Rolex for service? I recently sent a Sub to the RSC in Dallas and nothing was replaced. They serviced the movement and did a light polish to the case and bracelet, only removing the light swirl marks, leaving a small dent on the case rather than removing all the metal. I would not hesitate to send another watch to them when the time comes.

jaguar11 and Duracuir1 like this.
  20. jaguar11 Apr 20, 2022

King's Hill is the main RSC in the UK. So for me sending an older model with original dial was not an issue. The only caveat being any damage caused by the lume from the dial is excluded from any warranty claim.