Forums Latest Members
  1. yinzerniner Feb 27, 2015

Very, very nice example, and you will get tons of PM's about its availability. I would try the private listings route instead of the 'bay; as long as you're open and honest it's a much better way to sell as the breadth of WIS knowledge knows no bounds. Best of luck

2. Majork Feb 27, 2015

On point.
    In my humble opinion, there is a difference between asking:

"Is it a good idea to sell a rare watch on ebay or are there better options?"

And this thread. Which is basically a back-door FS thread. Intended or not...

KRLYUZH and djmusicman like this.
  3. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 27, 2015

I think we will continue to see these types of posts and the reality is that people are either trying to get around the 200 post rule, just don't understand the process to sell on the OF message board, or simply have no clue.

However, this still does not change the fact that due diligence is needed on vetting a seller. New members can and will continue make posts like this, but I think most of our "seasoned" members would either pass because of the difficulty in vetting, or try and do a face to face transaction.

For those that are new members, it has been some time since one of our members has been scammed, so perhaps the 200 post rule has provided some protection to our membership. I suspect if there was a recent member that had been scammed (and reported here) the tone of asking for an exception (or granting one) may be different.

4. mojothewolf Feb 27, 2015

For the avoidance of any doubt I have provided mod DSI0 with all details he requested, and i have been subsequently granted permission to post this item for sale on the watch for sale forum.... sorry for any disquiet caused.

5. 250scr Feb 27, 2015

I asked a mod several months ago about how I could sell something because I had less than a hundred posts and didn't get an answer, but then got my answer from another thread. I had to stick it out until the 200 rule.

6. mozambique Feb 27, 2015

Have to agree with the previous poster. Not easy being a Moderator, but there appears to be a double standard here. I posed the same question and was told that unless I had sold previously prior to the new rule, or an established member could vouch for me, no go. I had to wait too until I had reached 200 posts. The original poster has already made his sales pitch, so unless someone has vouched for him, I am not seeing the rationale of formally allowing the sale to be listed. Bit of a storm in a tea cup, but there you go.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2015

If you didn't get a reply it was probably me as I get a huge volume of daily PMs and end up losing track and forgetting to reply so I'm sorry about that, if you or anyone else get that from me feel free to bump the PM as it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, but rather than I read it but forgot to reply at the time.

In the OPs case I set a fairly high standard in terms of verification that he's in possession of it and of his identity and he was able to significantly exceed the level of proof I asked for on very short notice so I can at the least confirm he has the watch and that he's a real person. I'll send you a PM in a bit to explain some of what we go by.

8. 250scr Feb 27, 2015

It was not a big deal really as I got the answer eventually. Plus I figured you had bigger fish to fry than having to answer my rather unimportant question.

9. the future Feb 27, 2015

Dsio

Not really the point though is it? The point is some people have to get to 200 posts, and some people can jump the line, do a de facto sales post, then get special permission to make a formal sales post. Will you extend this same special vetting to everyone? I doubt you want to get into that. The point is, rules need to be applied equally to everyone or else people will lose faith in them.

Taddyangle likes this.
  10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 27, 2015

grant, if you want to sell on ebay or here, I`m happy to help you out in labelling it as " commission" watch. you need somebody known worldwide for buyers safety. Michael E. in the UK could do that as well, I guess. location in the ebay ad would be your location, that buyers can assess their shipment options. just a thought. and an offer. all mail/info involvement would be up to you; your email would be in the ebay ad. have done that before and it works fine. kind regards./ achim

JohnSteed likes this.
  11. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 27, 2015

The 200 post rule was brought in with all good intention by the mods, but unfortunately it appears to be too easy to get round.
    Nothing to stop someone posting a pic in the "what are you wearing today" thread, and just adding "Oh, It's for sale by the way."
    It's up to prospective buyers to take all relevant measures to make they're aren't going to get scammed, the mods aren't here to police every sale on the forum.

Edited Feb 27, 2015
    gophishin, MikiJ and JohnSteed like this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2015

It has always been extended to anyone

13. Norfolk Feb 27, 2015

The mods are very understanding and I was allowed to post a WTB before getting to 200 posts. A Genuine reason will always be heard fairly....

14. calalum Feb 27, 2015

Back to the original question. There are flaky sellers, and flaky buyers, on the 'bay. Add in the fees, restrictions on easy direct communications, and my general dislike for that site, and I personally would post the watch on this board for sale. My free advice, and worth every penny. Good luck with the sale.

JohnSteed likes this.
  15. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 27, 2015

I waited, u had to wait, it was okay to wait until I met the quota because I knew why it was there and In truth if too any exceptions are made then I won't be looking at the for sale section, why? Because as I understand it it was a community sales section where everyone kinda new the next guy. I too have a watch from my father or grandfather or uncle that I must must must let go of...
    Everyone has one if it sells. And please I hope no one takes offense, I'm just saying, have a rule or don't have a rule, of you're going to be making exceptions left and right then I would just take the rule out. 200 posts is kit that much, and it certainly grounded me in the forum before placing items for sale and buying. Most importantly I always dealt with inquiries and comments in a completely different manner even if it was to recommend they didn't buy my item and go for something else because I had a sense of trust and camaraderie, not so much the case if it becomes an open market.

Archer, RawArcher and Taddyangle like this.
  16. miccro Feb 27, 2015

back to the watch- that dial! beauty

17. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 27, 2015

As someone realitively new to Omega Speedmaster collecting, I have,none the less, embraced this new and rather expensive hobby with a passion. I've purchased via Ebay, Chrono24, face to face, Craiglist and other portals as well. No sales have been easier, and less stressful, than the watches I have purchased from sellers on OF.

It is a comfort knowing that this community has vetted them and that they are not only watch sellers but also active participants in educating others on Omega horology.

The 200 post rule does not seem at all cumbersome to me. I find this place so interesting that I will probably reach the 200 post level within 3 months of joining.

timeismoney and Tjmmartin like this.
  18. estrickland Feb 28, 2015

I was surprised at the 200 post restriction, having seen 50 on SCWF, but not that concerned about it.
    I'll just have to stick around.

19. Sapientia Cordis Ev3rclear's Fake Second Account Feb 28, 2015

i would recommend putting it on ebay and posting the ebay link in the forum. this way you ensure to get a reasonable price.

20. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Feb 28, 2015

So, ignoring the post count discussion and any community goodwill notions regarding selling on the forum, eBay would seem to be the advised route as the seller would be reaching the biggest audience and, even after the fees, competition should push the price to the limit. Dependent upon good photos and, perhaps, a good feedback rating.

Does anyone have any opinions re achieved sales prices (less fees) for eBay compared to any of the big bricks and mortar auction houses? Also between the auction houses is there any difference between say London, Geneva, New York and Hong Kong?

The only time I ever see the auction houses mentioned on here is when a watch is listed as original but someone has noticed (sometimes blatantly) replacement parts or other 'issues'. I don't follow any of the auction houses but obviously a few of you do.
    My only other issue with them is that they usually only provide one, face-on, and possibly edited, photo. But maybe regular or registered bidders can access more? And I assume locals can make some kind of physical assessment themselves.