Forums Latest Members
  1. mojothewolf Feb 27, 2015

Hi forum members,
    having just read melanies post about her 1990 861 speedy, i would like to seek advice as i have never sold on ebay before, only bought, and didnt want to suffer because of it, plus the fees you guys have mentioned could be pretty substantial....
    Unfortunately I need to part with my prize possession , which i wear daily, without delay...

any advice welcomed

Grant -
    p.s.. Yes its an omega service bezel replacement......somewhere , in a bin lies the original 1000 base...

IMG_6137.JPG IMG_0182.JPG IMG_0187_2.JPG IMG_6167.JPG IMG_6169.JPG IMG_6175.JPG IMG_3798.JPG
    Fost likes this.
  2. Fost Feb 27, 2015

No need to use ebay now, you will have thousand of PM soon :)

nice watch indeed (crown is service replacement also)

E-diddy and KRLYUZH like this.
  3. gophishin Feb 27, 2015

not sure if this is a sly ploy to avoid the FS post count minimums, but if it were me, I would reach out to the mods and see if an exception can be made in this case to keep it in the family - fees are avoided and everyone wins. Plus it would seem a bit messed up to ask the forum where there are tons of willing buyers if you should introduce a bunch of complications and competition by listing on ebay, but that's just my $.02. GLWS, it's a beautiful watch, and I don't imagine you'll have much trouble unloading it.

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. mojothewolf Feb 27, 2015

Post count?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2015

We have a 200 post minimum for the For Sale section as a safety measure. On this one we would have to request some significant evidence to establish who you are and that you're in possession of it (privately by PM) before making that exception. And @gophishin yes I'm aware that posts like this and that other one involving the '90 Speedmaster Pro are almost being used as ads in their own right, we're going to have to have a think about the best way to approach that as I don't want to impede anyone asking for advice while at the same time if people do it intentionally its very frustrating.

Once again on a piece like this I actually would look at eBay as the fees can easily be offset by two keen bidders, while the offers you get here are likely more savvy collectors looking to get a good deal. Personally if it were my watch I'd probably take the best pictures I could and go the eBay route.

6. mojothewolf Feb 27, 2015

I have No problem proving anything to anyone.....

7. gophishin Feb 27, 2015

Ash - sorry if it seemed I was suggesting displeasure with this practice or justice to be had, I realize it can be a tricky situation to sort through on the mod's side. Personally, I think it's great if exceptions can be made, I would sure feel much more comfortable buying a watch here, especially if it has been vetted by you experts!

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2015

As always use caution still as we're by no means foolproof, and always use a method of payment that's safe unless you know, personally trust, or have verified references to your satisfaction on someone. This isn't directed at the OP btw, this is just general safe conduct for online sales.

gophishin likes this.
  9. mojothewolf Feb 27, 2015

Not being a watch collector for long , And lucking out on this watch , I haven't sold anything I've ever bought.......so this procedure was new to me....sorry about my naivety ....

10. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Feb 27, 2015

Mojo, I can relate.

I am wanting to post in "wanted to buy" but have insufficient post counts. (Just added 1 with this post).

But can totally understand the logic of the mods.

11. Tjmmartin Feb 27, 2015

Just to be devils advocate at what point do you decide an exception can or can't be made?
    I too want to post in "wanted to buy" but need another 181 posts!

12. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Feb 27, 2015

It appears that this has become the quickest way for new members to "non-post" their watches for sale.

I have no issues with their way of getting the job done. These issues are best left to the Mods :rolleyes:

13. gophishin Feb 27, 2015

It appears I (unintentionally) opened a can of worms. sorry mods :unsure:

14. alam Feb 27, 2015

You did not. You were the first to state the obvious, :)

Tritium likes this.
  15. davidswiss Feb 27, 2015

I'd agree with most of the above. Ask the mods to allow it in the for sale section.

16. Tjmmartin Feb 27, 2015

It is a great looking watch and i'm sure out of my price range.
    Still being devils advocate ( rather than a miserable sod! ), if an exception is made how do you clarify where the line is drawn?
    If someone has a collectors 105.003 do you you make an exception, but reject the 105.003 which in every way except for a new crown is a collectors? ( i'm sure someone will reply that if it has a new crown then it is not a collectors!! )
    As an aside i don't have a watch to sell and don't anticipate selling a watch in the near future.

17. E-diddy Feb 27, 2015

she's gorgeous. i would like to add to shopping cart :)

18. micampe Feb 27, 2015

I don't want to speak for who makes the decisions because I don't, but the limit has been put there to help avoid scams, it is one of the possible measures that can be used to assess trust on someone. The mods can override that limit at their discretion, and they are taking a little bit of responsibility (in spirit, I'm sure the ToS of the website state –rightly– they are not legally responsible) when doing it, so it doesn't make sense to have hard rules for when to override another rule. It's a case by case decison that is being made.

19. mozambique Feb 27, 2015

I think it is a bit disingenuous for the original poster to pose the question in the first place. He/she could have posted a vague question regarding ways of selling a watch and not mentioned the specific model, or posted photos which are quite irrelevant, unless looking for a sale on OF. Now the cat is out of the bag it is a bit difficult for the Mods to prevent the potential sale being made on OF. The 200 posting rule is there for a reason and if members decide to circumvent it then there should be repercussions.

timeismoney and Stewart H like this.
  20. Tjmmartin Feb 27, 2015

At least this seems a cracking watch compared to some other watches discussed since my first post on this thread. I think the 200 posting rule is as good as any and as a casual contributor to the site I certainly wouldn't contemplate suggesting to the moderators a method that i perceive to be better ( because it probably wouldn't be! ). I do feel however that if the 200 posting is the rule it should be adhered to so as to be fair and transparent. Regarding what you do with blatant adverts outside of the for sale forum.....well i'm glad i'm not a moderator! ( and if I had the money I would try and buy this watch! )