Serious question...

Posts
364
Likes
1,673
I realize that I may (no will) take some heat for asking this here but here I go anyway...
Can one be considered an Omega fan without being a particular admirer of the "traditional" Moonwatch? I mean can one understand the history and technical genius of the watch but not actually want to own one?
 
Posts
7,772
Likes
14,363
Yes, you can be considered a fan under those circumstances, but ONLY if you would be willing to cut your grass while wearing a Speedmaster (if you owned one).
Edited:
 
Posts
2,077
Likes
4,244
I don't own one but own double digit Omega watches from 1930s to 2010s, including a pocket watch. That's the best part of Omega is the full depth and breadth of their catalog that goes back over 120 years.
 
Posts
1,556
Likes
3,119
Of course. I used to think it was overrated and grew tired of the constant Moon reference. Then I got a 145.022-69 pre-Moon. Then a Broad Arrow Replica. Might get a modern one, also.
 
Posts
3,259
Likes
23,334
Of course, it's just one watch. There are a lot of cool vintage Omegas and variations on the Speedmaster and Seamaster lines. Unfortunately, in my apparently somewhat unpopular opinion the modern Constellation line is a played out funky 80s design but I guess it does well in other markets.
 
Posts
35,631
Likes
39,878
Omega is an extremely broad church. The watch I personally recommend the most to first time new buyers is the Seamaster Pro 300M diver as for most people it’s a better, more durable, more practical watch. The Speedy is a more ideal second watch.
 
Posts
1,414
Likes
759
Be careful with the fanboys of omega, panerai, rolex, etc. Omega is not just the speedmaster collection. The speedmaster collection is not just the moonwatch.

The constellation collection has always been iconic.
 
Posts
364
Likes
1,673
Yes, you can be considered a fan under those circumstances, but ONLY if you would be willing to cut your grass while wearing a Speedmaster (if you owned one).
Does a Speedmaster Date qualify? If so I'm definitely in as I have done!
 
Posts
364
Likes
1,673
Of course. I used to think it was overrated and grew tired of the constant Moon reference. Then I got a 145.022-69 pre-Moon. Then a Broad Arrow Replica. Might get a modern one, also.
The Broad Arrow is on my list. The problem is my list's too big and the "CFO" institutes moratoriums on watches periodically!!
Edited:
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,375
Of course you can. Nobody on OF will talk about you to other members behind your back as far as you know.
 
Posts
15,927
Likes
47,797
My 32-year old 345.0808 Speedmaster is my newest Omega. It is only one of approximately a dozen Omegas that I have. I also have a Speedmaster reduced which is about the same vintage as my Speedmaster. All the rest of my Omegas are pre-Swatch models. I much prefer pre-Swatch Omegas. Of those, I am a fan, indeed. (But the Omegas I like best in my collection are my early 20th century Brandt (Omega) grade CCR, 19-jewel, railroad standard pocket watches, of which I have two.) A fan, but not rabid!
 
Posts
2,077
Likes
4,244
Of course you can. Nobody on OF will talk about you to other members behind your back as far as you know.

Is there ANOTHER text chat that I'm not in?!?!?!?!?! Damn you!
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,375
Is there ANOTHER text chat that I'm not in?!?!?!?!?! Damn you!
Would I lie to you, Erric? 👎

😁😁😁
 
Posts
869
Likes
2,206
Omega is an extremely broad church. The watch I personally recommend the most to first time new buyers is the Seamaster Pro 300M diver as for most people it’s a better, more durable, more practical watch. The Speedy is a more ideal second watch.

This was my exact approach. I wear the diver more often due a perceived durability factor on my part.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,375
This was my exact approach. I wear the diver more often due a perceived durability factor on my part.
+1. I have both, but the Seamaster is more durable, more watch for the money, and obviously more water resistant.
 
Posts
10,995
Likes
54,828
Omega is an extremely broad church. The watch I personally recommend the most to first time new buyers is the Seamaster Pro 300M diver as for most people it’s a better, more durable, more practical watch. The Speedy is a more ideal second watch.
I’m doing my best to make omega fit the definition of a “church” but I’m not having any luck yet.
 
Posts
364
Likes
1,673
I’m doing my best to make omega fit the definition of a “church” but I’m not having any luck yet.
Would you belieeeeve..."Big tent"?
1092576843-maxwellsmart.jpg
 
Posts
364
Likes
1,673
+1. I have both, but the Seamaster is more durable, more watch for the money, and obviously more water resistant.
+2 Several years ago I spent a couple (almost) idyllic years working for a well known national watch retail chain. When asked, I always told customers that among our location's top tier offerings, Breitling, Tag, Cartier and Omega the value/$$ was in the Omega corner and the SMP was my #1choice.
Edited: