Forums Latest Members
  1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Dec 31, 2015

I think some of you here and people in general simplify things too much. “Seiko is a simple and cheap watch”.

The reason we westerners, generally, hold Seiko as cheap is because that are the watches they have been able to sell here. Among Europeans and Americans, too long, there has been a notion of Japanese watches as inferior to Swiss. “Who in their right mind would buy a Seiko for as much as an Omega or a Rolex?”

Think of it - almost all manufacturers that are aspiring to span over several consumer groups have “cheap and simple” in their line – standing for the bulk of sales. Omega, apart from this last/ongoing surge to become a luxury brand only, has almost always played - the cheap - to the upper middle prized, market field. There has been the really cheap and the somewhat expensive. Sometimes with the corresponding quality but often the cheap ones proved to be sturdy and lasted for a very long time. As with Seiko – playing a large portion of the consumer field but as a brand and in Europe and America we only know the lower end of it.

I think it is funny to read all the beater testaments on the net as there are always a feeling of the owners surprise hidden somewhere in them – knowingly or unknowingly, as if the owner just do not believe a Seiko should or could work that well.

Seiko has been making high quality watches for a very, very long time. Some of them are cheap and sturdy. Just as some Omegas used to be. In the other end of the spectra there are higher prized and higher end watches – and in that segment there are no difference between Omega and Seiko – apart from it still being difficult to sell a Seiko priced as an Omega in the west. The only big difference - Omega just do not cater for the quality low end of the market anymore…

Seiko might not have had the best advertising crew (Mad men?) thru the years either:

[​IMG]

As of watches I have these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used to have these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes - I used to have two of these...

[​IMG]

And do not get me started on the merits of Citizen...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Dec 31, 2015
  2. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Dec 31, 2015

here a (generic) pic of the blue titan sammy
    [​IMG]

overall a GREAT watch for the price ... but too bulky for my current lifestyle (cuffs) and the movement was not really on par with the 5* exterior. IIRC the automatic did not have handwinding capabilities and was not too precise ...

JohnnyDollar, jah928, D YOUNG and 3 others like this.
  3. Ericoh Dec 31, 2015

If i say beater then it is only because my 5 was 60€ and it will be punished. I actualy think that Seiko blows most luxury companys out of the water.

erpin9, George.A, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 31, 2015

First generation of a model line that exists to this day...

[​IMG]

5. Pvt-Public Dec 31, 2015

I have a couple.
    image.jpeg
    And a few partially disassembled movement for parts.

Edited Dec 31, 2015
    Kreindog24 and Mad Dog like this.
  6. alam Dec 31, 2015

29 y/o and showing lots of battle scars from many deployments; this one is definitely in the cheap but sturdy category :)

image.jpeg
    Edited Dec 31, 2015
    Kreindog24, benjclark, Geo! and 3 others like this.
  7. laughing_cavlier Dec 31, 2015

I have one lowly Seiko mechanical, which has seen some beating and currently has a broken stem and a cracked crystal. It was a 21st Birthday present to my mother when new. Still ticks and keeps good time (never been serviced) but I can't set the time :( When I find a donor watch and some spare time, I will try and fix her up.
    seiko dx.jpg
    Also have two quartz, a newish solar which I bought to walk Hadrian's Wall
    seiko solar.jpg
    and my Seiko Premier perpetual which was my daily wearer until I got into mechanical watches last year.
    seiko premier.jpg
    Also bought one of these in 1997 s-l300.jpg I thought it was pretty cool at the time, and it got nicked about 10 years ago.:(

x3no, Mad Dog and PatrickJ like this.
  8. Geo! Dec 31, 2015

Ah, the wonderful 15 Jewel 7A38 chronograph.

Here's my version, and it's one watch I will never part with, I just love it!

image.jpeg

Kreindog24, timeismoney, alam and 4 others like this.
  9. ChrisN Dec 31, 2015

That's a stunner and the best watch for me so far.... Clearly a 6138 but which model?

Cheers, Chris

jsaen and Mad Dog like this.
  10. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Dec 31, 2015

I just recently picked up this iteration of the Alpinist. I love it and the Seiko 5 that my wife gave me 5 or 6 years ago
    alpinist 12.23.jpg

jsaen and Mad Dog like this.
  11. NT931 Dec 31, 2015

+1. Seiko spans the whole range from cheap & cheerful (and very sturdy) to Grand Seikos, to high end horology (Credor). They makes great watches.

I don't have a Credor, but I'm fond of my vintage Seiko Sportstimer, and of my Grand Seiko.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YYTIN, robinhook, mario linus and 8 others like this.
  12. Andreas Dec 31, 2015

My " working with tools" watch. Thats why its full of scratches and the crystal is chipped :whistling:

2015-12-31 04.43.19 1.jpg 2015-12-31 05.07.02 1.jpg
    Mad Dog likes this.
  13. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Dec 31, 2015

Thanks, man...I'm so joyful to have it all these years...box & papers and all...it's been a very faithful companion/tool in and out of the cockpit. My 6309 had its first service in 2015 since it started to run a little slow...so that was 28 years without a service. Yeah, I know...I'm a dumbass for not having it serviced [earlier] but I know better now. :D

PatrickJ likes this.
  14. alam Dec 31, 2015

Glad to see the original hands set again! Mine were replaced by Seiko during its last service :(

15. M.D. Dec 31, 2015

I have a few. I quite enjoy them and have seen a few on this thread I'd like to add.

20151231_122552.jpg

16. PatrickJ Dec 31, 2015

If you don't mind me asking was the service costly? Mind you the sentimental value alone was worth the service.

Mad Dog likes this.
  17. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Dec 31, 2015

It cost me about $400 to have my 6309 serviced as well as have some parts replaced. I'm very happy with the results on this end. Originally it was going to cost about $250-$300 for servicing...but I screwed up on my end...long story.

PatrickJ likes this.
  18. ricardorio Dec 31, 2015

19. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Dec 31, 2015

If you are in the States, the Seiko service center is ridiculously cheap, they charged me $89 for a basic coa and to fix the chrono subdial hand.
    I planned on polishing the crystal scratches, so I didn't get a new crystal, now wish I had.

I have no love for Seikos, and if the Swiss had bombed us, I wouldn't like Omegas either!
    Still, I have owned 2, gave 1 to my best friend "Down Under" and kept this one that I had serviced.
    I've never worn it, can't decide on a strap and for damn sure can't figure out how to set the day/date!
    It's actually a cool looking watch with a rotating inner bezel.

IMGP4161.JPG

20. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 31, 2015

Here is mine, received for x-mas in '83:
    Seiko.jpg

PatrickJ likes this.