Forums Latest Members
  1. FreddieG Feb 17, 2020

Hello all, I am new to vintage watches and have a liking for Omega seamaster watches around 1960 ish.
    I have been trying to study up as best i can on how to spot redials etc, but one thing i have noticed while viewing watches online is the way "seamaster" is written on the dial. Looked at maybe 10 different watches today and this writing seems to be slightly different on all of them !
    Is this normal with different ages / models etc or should the text be quite uniformed across ranges ?

Thanks in advance for any help !

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 17, 2020

FreddieG likes this.
  3. FreddieG Feb 17, 2020

Thankyou, yes have read this, Is there any way the writing of "seamaster" should be done correctly or is it different on certain models/years. As i said nearly every watch i have looked at seems to have the writing slightly different ? Hard to know which is correct or not ?

4. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 17, 2020

The Seamaster scripts are different on different models and sometimes they share in some models, then they changed with Swiss case or American.

If you spend time to look at 10.000 of them in a few years, you may be able to tell which one is correct for which case and which movement etc....

5. Dan S Feb 17, 2020

Indeed, Seamaster was printed in a number of different ways, and there are several excellent threads already on the forum on exactly this topic. I suggest a comprehensive search, either using the forum search feature or using google and limiting the search to the omegaforums.net domain.

FreddieG likes this.
  6. FreddieG Feb 17, 2020

Thanks, If 8 out of 10 scripts were the same i would get it, but near enough everyone seems different will try and find a link to find out more....

7. ChrisN Feb 17, 2020

FreddieG likes this.
  8. Dan S Feb 17, 2020

As @hoipolloi mentioned above, if you are not able to identify patterns of correct and incorrect, it's probably that you haven't looked at enough. This will happen naturally if you continue to read the forum and challenge yourself to validate photos. Or if you'd like to accelerate the process, try collecting photos of 1,000 dials from Google images, and make a careful study of them, sorting them into categories. You will probably find that there is really no substitute for first-hand experience, and afterwards you will go back and laugh at your previous uncertainty.

FreddieG likes this.