Forums Latest Members

Seamaster movements fitted in a Speedmaster from factory.

1. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2019

The old ones were all hand written but that doesn't mean its added or faked! I have no reason at all to doubt the authenticity of the papers or the original watch I serial checked.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 5, 2019

Then by all means buy that watch if that's what you are looking to do. Me, I'll pass thanks...

Edited Dec 5, 2019
    watchyouwant likes this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 5, 2019

Unfortunately this can not be proven non-fake, especially in this case (Omega saying movement is from Seamaster and not Speedmaster etc)...

watchyouwant and Archer like this.
  4. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 5, 2019

By the way, Charles is not part of the Heritage Team anymore. He's now working in a totally different department and has nothing to do with all of this anymore. Just to make it clear, in case somebody is looking to talk to Charles :whistling:

watchyouwant likes this.
  5. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2019

I know he isn’t. He was though and happily spoke to me.

6. dootcho Dec 5, 2019

I assume this means you didn't ask for an EOA but just informally inquired?

If you actually requested an EOA i would be interested to know whether they rejected your request and kept payment as they stated after last summer's change in the policy, since this looks like one of those cases where one could actually raise a complaint if indeed the mismatch in the archive is at Omega's fault

thanks
    Duccio

watchyouwant likes this.
  7. ndgal Dec 5, 2019

If you think about it, if true, it could make sense.
    The Speedmaster got all the glory (and most likely most of the sales) during that period.
    Soccer Timer Seamaster, maybe no so much...

What does a profit driven company do?
    Take the most complicated and time consuming component to produce from product line B, and uses it for their hottest seller; product line A to keep the production line going and push out more hot sellers than duds...

The serial on the watch I bought last year was earlier than SW range, it was more in the 145.022-68 range.
    But again, if this was indeed done at the factory, it’s not like Omega cared about matching serial number ranges or cared to put in a movement with a “correct” serial range...
    All they cared about was to get product out.
    It was a $230 watch at the time...
    That movement probably cost $30 to produce. (if that...).

All that said, this theory might all be nice & true, but at the end of the day an impossible sell to a client looking to buy a 100% original vintage Speedmaster.

8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2019

I ran the serial, an extract was not requested but for the straight writing one was requested and that’s when it came back as not ‘correct’.

turns out there is now 6 watches that have the same issue in the space of a day or so.

something needs to be addressed by Omega I think to rule out way more issues in the future.

ultimately, it’s research that brings things like this to light!!

tyrantlizardrex and kov like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 5, 2019

Agree completely - I don't think anyone is saying that it isn't possible, or even likely, that this has happened in the past.

And there it is. Theories are not proof of anything when it comes to a single specific watch. Kinda sucks for what I would presume to be the small number of people who actually have one owner, never serviced, with original papers, and have the wrong movements in them. I suspect these are more rare in fact than the number that will be claimed.

watchyouwant and Davidt like this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 5, 2019

Hmm this is a different issue I think.

Rodsch likes this.
  11. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2019

That’s what I was told... it doesn’t fit the speedy, then told it’s for a Seamaster so I can relate

Rodsch likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 5, 2019

As mentioned above, another elephant in the room here is that Omega apparently now charge for a nil return on an EOA search. Seemingly not not if you are Darren or an auction house but the man in the street could it seems ask for an extract on his one family owned Speedy, only to be told no dice and by the way we aren't refunding your £120. Now bearing in mind it seems that as many of us have suspected for a while Omega's record keeping is flawed, and they have acknowledged this fact in this thread, how do they justify maintaining the charge for an EOA refusal?

Rodsch, MCC, airansun and 1 other person like this.
  13. S.H. Dec 5, 2019

You pay for them them to look at their own archives, period. The refund when finding nothing was a classy move, that's all.

watchyouwant likes this.
  14. ndgal Dec 5, 2019

I have it in an email response from Charles when I inquired why my extract request was canceled.
    (This was last year when the old extract system was in place).
    He wrote to me that the serial came back as Soccer Timer, but did not elaborate about the story/theory behind it.
    Therefore I assumed it was a Franken and just parted it out...

kov likes this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 5, 2019

It’s just from a process standpoint as to why a racing dial would not have the same issue. You’d think the special dials would be recorded as they are pulled from normal production then recorded. While I can see normal production being batches and some batches being repurposed.

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 5, 2019

That's all well and good when you can trust them that the information they are checking is accurate, and when it isn't? Not so classy, borderline crappy.

martinw and Eve like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 5, 2019

Well, some people pay, and some don't from what I'm gathering.

Maybe the refusal to refund the "regular folk" is to help pay for the checks being done at no charge for the chosen few...

18. ndgal Dec 5, 2019

I think the most important piece of information that we can learn from this thread is that Rolex 1675 Blueberry inserts are fake... ::facepalm1::Or real...::facepalm1:: Or... :confused:

19. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Dec 5, 2019

So in sum, in the post-war, circa 1945-70 period, Omega produced a large number of moderately-priced, reasonably stylish, decent build quality (but often not the last word in durability), accurate time-keeping watches as an affordable luxury for the middle class. Even my modest-living parents had them. They were never intended as prized collectors items. But Omega has now noticed that the slightest difference between models can mean a difference in value of thousands of dollars. So they have gone back to their records from this era (and it's impressive they kept these records at all, incomplete and inaccurate in places as they understandably are), given them the lofty title "Extracts of the Archives" and charge you silly money for them. Price gouging aside, I think you should be grateful you have any of this information from Omega. I've found that for any vintage collectible from before the digital era, production records are rare, even when the manufacturer is still in business. . Those records usually disappear after one corporate reorganization of any kind.

20. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 5, 2019

It’s common knowledge that even omega don’t know how these Racing’s came about, same for the Soleil dials.

watchyouwant, Rodsch and Foo2rama like this.