Seamaster - can it be 'restored'?

Never said there were short cuts. I'll be talking to two local places on Monday. I'll regale you with the tale then.

Okay, then you are just looking for a cheaper price on a service then by the sounds of it. That's fair. I would just keep in mind that the level of service you get can vary widely, so the scope of work may sound the same, but how it's done may differ greatly.

Couldn't agree more. Where the difference may lie is a service that accomplishes such while not being as to the ends of the earth as Ashton proposes. That is his business and I'm sure he does well at it. If I can get a "lower level" of service that accomplishes the goal, then that's where I may go. TBD. To be sure, armed with what I've learned here today, I'll be able to ask more pointed questions of the watch repair fellow that I find.

You can certainly find a range of prices, and more expensive does not always mean better. Talking with the watchmaker is good, but I find that it's helpful to network with local collectors and ask for first-hand referrals. Some excellent watchmakers only take new customers by word of mouth, because they have as much work as they need and don't advertise or have a web presence. There may be a local watch & clock group that you can join. I assume you're in no rush.

My 165.001 says 'Hi.'

My dad had a watch like this when I was growing up. At some point he divested himself of it, it wasn't worth his time, effort, or expense to keep it going. While I love and respect him sincerely, his take on that watch at the time hasn't informed my attention to this one, which is, to me, Dad's Old Watch.

Here's what it looked like fresh from the 'Bay:

After a conservative crystal polish:

Fresh from service, pics courtesy GMOG:

Finally, paired with a proper bracelet:

My 165.001 says 'Hi.'

Very nicely done. I don't think I'll get that sort of result - and I despise metal bands ... but it would be nice as a man-about-town socially acceptable watch ...