Forums Latest Members
  1. mark_k88 Jan 16, 2021

First post, thanks for having me on board

I purchased my seamaster 300m (latest version) brand new from an authorised dealer at the beginning of 2020. My first serious watch and It was incredible to join the club of those lucky enough to be able to have such a watch.

The watch ran at around + 0.3 sec per day, maybe even less all of last year.. incredible accuracy.

However around September I noticed it was slightly slow and had lost time. I reset the time several times over the coming weeks to make sure this was the case. I used the atomic time using a g shock, my phone and the time is website as a reference each time.

In December I called my AD who said that a master chronometer omega should not lose time and should not go from being consistently gaining time to suddenly losing it.

I took it to the AD at their request and they gave it to their watch maker to assess if it needed to go back to Omega ( they are authorised to service Rolex and omega)

I was told that the watch was not losing time and was in fact gaining time slightly... and well within 5 seconds per day.

I felt like I had been really silly bringing it in as it appeared they didn’t believe me. They said they would send it back to omega if I wished but it would mean up to 3-4 months without my watch, and that the best option was to monitor it over the coming months.

Here I am in mid January, the watch is crazy accurate when the time is reset and will stay exact for 2-3 days it seems, then after this it will lose more noticeably.

I would suggest it is losing 0.5 sec per day at worst. Which I can live with and don’t mind really at all.

My two questions are;

1. Does going from being + time to - time indicate a issue inside the watch?
    2. Is allowing it to continue going to cause problems.
    I am more than happy living with this level of accuracy as it is still incredible my only concern is that it is doing what omega claim it shouldn’t.

Thanks guys

0ED52A9E-CBE1-4CF2-855C-175CEE5B908F.jpeg
  2. PRW Jan 16, 2021

Mine has done exactly the same.
    Slightly gained for a month or so then suddenly went the other way?
    Many threads on this one, I wish I could point you to the more explanatory one, think it was from Archer?
    Anyway, it's about averages and the several different positions that the watch is tested in under lab conditions. Now obviously you don't wear your watch on a daily basis matching these lab conditions.
    Mine is more or less running a minute a month slow.

3. flw history nerd Jan 16, 2021

Beautiful watch - congratulations!

Based on your description, it's running well within spec. The tolerances for the METAS standard are still going to be at least an order of magnitude less precise than a quartz movement. Nothing wrong with your watch. Just relax and enjoy it!

owl., PRW and mark_k88 like this.
  4. mark_k88 Jan 16, 2021

Loving the watch and I am able to just enjoy it and I don’t get too caught up in the accuracy just so long as it wasn’t a sign there is a serious issue inside.

Cheers

owl. and PRW like this.
  5. amcclell Jan 16, 2021

Welcome to the forum. Your concern for accuracy is normal and many others here have asked similar questions. Here are some threads below for you to read and understand that your watch is just fine. Due to motion and position variation, your watch actually slows down and speeds up based on hand movement and position as you wear it. The first link below is the best explanation you'll likely find for accuracy measurement and specs, written by an Omega qualified technician. Enjoy your watch - it is lovely.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/tim...-understand-how-they-work.87293/#post-1128576
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/new...uestion-about-accuracy-range-of-speedy.91979/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/new-seamaster-accuracy.106593/

PRW and mark_k88 like this.
  6. AntonisCy Jan 16, 2021

Your watch is fine. Enjoy it.

PRW likes this.
  7. reverbtime Jan 16, 2021

Enjoy! I am quite OCD when it comes with accuracy, but I have slowly accepted these little variations in specs.

8. Cod Holliday Jan 16, 2021

There is nothing wrong with your watch. Mine loses 7-10 secs a week. Doesn't bother me one bit.

PRW likes this.
  9. jb.44 Feb 4, 2021

I think the watch is going to be fine. Regardless, if the timing gets really bad for some odd reason then just make sure to have the watch serviced before warranty expires

owl. likes this.
  10. imfagent449 Feb 4, 2021

As I am reading this thread, I am present to how technology has improved so dramatically around both the manufacture of wristwatches as well as technology within the movement as well.

I recall that when there were posts a few decades ago around how watches would gain or lose between 5 and 10 seconds a day.

It is astounding to me that technology has improved so much that within a month a wristwatch may only gain or lose around 15 to 30 seconds. That is awesome.

11. bluetrain323 Aug 20, 2021

@mark_k88 had the same issue with the same watch. Purchased mine August 2020 from AD and it started around +2 sec/day and settled after a month or two to around +0.5 sec/day until June 2021. I then noticed my watch was suddenly losing approximately 2-4 sec/day for no explainable reason. Took it to omega boutique and timegrapher showed average of -1.7 sec/day. Boutique sent it away for warranty service. Got watch back this week and so far it is back to normal. Running +2 sec/day. Curious if it will happen again. Haven’t really been able to find a reason the watch would go from gaining to suddenly losing time.

12. ducatiti Aug 20, 2021

Same here on a new Aqua Terra 8900. Worn everyday?

13. hronists Aug 20, 2021

Are you complaining that mechanical watch is half a second slow? Seriously?

14. owl. Aug 20, 2021

Amen to this.