Forums Latest Members

New Speedmaster pro, running a bit slow, question about accuracy range of speedy

1. painquotidien Mar 22, 2019

I have a new Speedmaster pro, I am a very new forum member, and I have a question about accuracy.

My new speedy loses about 4s a day. I just wanted to ask two things

1) why Omega has a target of -1/+12s why the range is not symmetrical in relation to 0?
    2) is -4s a day acceptable, I understand that it is essentially out of the range but would it be reasonable for me to get it back to Omega?

Obligatory photo attached

IMG_20190322_125354 copy.jpg
  2. Canuck Mar 22, 2019

Perhaps better you should give an indication as to what sort of accuracy you would find acceptable, and ask for an expert opinion as to whether that standard is even achievable with a Speedmaster.

3. Risto Mar 22, 2019

That is normal. I think mine is similar. It's running +5 sec. Does not really matter. Could be regulated though.
    I guess how the watch runs depends on how you wear it, what position it has, how it sits at night etc.
    Enjoy it!

4. painquotidien Mar 22, 2019

Thank you for the answers. -4 sec is acceptable to me, however I am wondering why omega thinks it is not. Is there a reason that the acceptable range for Omega is -1 to +11s?

5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 22, 2019

Probably because it’s easier to hack a fast running watch to bring it in time, than to wait 55 seconds and advance the minute hand.

reemas and Foo2rama like this.
  6. OWa Mar 22, 2019

Their opinion is that they prefer a watch running fast because you would be rather early and not late to an appointment. Their METAS specification also reflects this 0 / +5 seconds.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2019

Please read this thread, as it will shed light on how the timing tolerances work, and why your watch is likely fine even though it's running less than -1:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/tim...-understand-how-they-work.87293/#post-1128576

Regarding why the tolerance is asymmetrical, it's because people will accept a watch that is a few seconds fast, but generally not one that runs slow. I see this all the time with my customers preferences, and it's not particularly rational from a pure math point of view, because if a watch runs +6 seconds per day, or -6 seconds per day, it has the same accuracy, but people will be much more concerned about it running slow.

Cheers, Al

8. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 22, 2019

Because you'd rather be 6s early to catch your plane, than miss it by 6s I guess...

Even though if you're probably this close to missing your flight, the watch probably isn't really your main organizational problem :D

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2019

As I said, from a pure math standpoint it doesn't make any sense. From a practical standpoint, well it doesn't make any sense either. ;)

Lonestar and Faz like this.
  10. Faz Mar 22, 2019

I'm still dumbfounded by those that have the expectation to have Quartz accuracy with their new mechanical timepieces?!

I understand that mechanical watches, in general are much more expensive than their much more accurate Quartz cousins and that those new to mechanical timepieces would expect the same level of accuracy, but I think that it's quite amazing that many mechanicals, old and new, can and still achieve such accuracy as -4 secs per day.

I wouldn't worry a second (or 4!) with a rate of -4 secs per day...it's astounding performance just short of perfect!

Cheers,

Lonestar likes this.
  11. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Mar 22, 2019

At least with a watch that has hackable seconds running fast is preferable because if you want to sync to a standard you can just hack the seconds and wait for a while before re-engaing. If your watch is running slow, you also have to adjust the minute hand to sync it. If like me you have an irrational need to sync to the atomic clock every week or two, then running fast makes that easier to do. If you are less irrational, you're fine either way.

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. Faz Mar 22, 2019

Btw, I set my slow watches 30 seconds fast every week and my fast watches 30 seconds slow...that's how you get perfect! ;)

STANDY likes this.
  13. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 22, 2019

Indeed... I think we tend to lose sight of this...

4s/d is like 4.5cm per kilometer... it's crazy accurate...

SuperHero likes this.
  14. Bp1000 Mar 22, 2019

I bought a speedy pro last year and it runs about -2 / -4

Then if I swap watches mid week and then put it back on after starting it back up it can run absolutely dead on and perhaps loose just -1 overnight

What bothers me most is the inconsistency.

Either way, it’s super accurate

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 22, 2019

Yes amount of wind on the main spring, the orientation of the watch to gravity... all effect timing. Try leaving the watch in a different position over night.

16. painquotidien Mar 22, 2019

Thanks for all the illuminating answers especially the one about how a watch can appear outside tolerance without actually be outside tolerances. Yes you are right -4s is absolutely fine for me, measuring the accuracy is part of the honeymoon with the watch. Especially with a manual wind watch I am more forgiving about accuracy, with the speedmaster actually I take 30s to wind it every day and if it needs to I can correct the time. I have though found with automatics that I forget them and after wearing a watch for months I suddenly am surprised one day that I am off by a whole 5 or 10min.
    One thing that I was wondering about the asymmetric tolerance is that if as a watch gets older and the oil dries up it tends to run slower rather than faster then it would make sense to have an asymmetric tolerance? I do not know I am just making a hypothesis

17. Bp1000 Mar 22, 2019

Thank you; I've found dial down looses the least amount. Its leather deployant, so hard to try dial up which i suspect may be better.

All my other speedy's, ST, CK's etc, they need crown down as they are all +3 / +5

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. wsfarrell Mar 22, 2019

It makes perfect sense from a psychological viewpoint. Things that are running fast give the impression of good health and great energy. Things that are running slow give the impression of aging, clogged mechanism, grinding to a halt. Most things tend to slow down as death approaches, not speed up.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2019

I suppose if you don't know anything about watches, isochronism, etc. it makes sense.

20. wsfarrell Mar 22, 2019

I know about watches, isochronism, etc. If you read carefully what I wrote, I used the words "psychological," "give the impression," and "most things."