Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 168.022 / 166.028 Orange Seconds Hand - A Thread

1. OneTwo Jun 14, 2022

Congrats on being able to snag it! Definitely worth the splurge. I completely agree with it being really wonderful in person. Also, I could be off my rocker, but it feels like the Omega counterpart to the Rolex Datejust's of the time (Ref. 1601). Albeit without the fluted bezel and cyclops date window.

masteroftime likes this.
  2. Pvt-Public Jun 14, 2022

The watch on Chrono24 looks over polished, bracelet links are very “stretched”, and I’m thinking closer to a 1969 production date than 1967, listed as “very rare” with 3 for sale at the same time ? Looks more like a faded red hand than orange and overpriced by over 2x.
    The Japanese one looks nice, tight bracelet links but again, overpriced by more than 2x.
    The Maryland looks over polished, missing bracelet, and IMO going at a reasonable price at this time, but will probably go higher.
    Just my 2 cents worth

masteroftime likes this.
  3. masteroftime Jun 14, 2022

i have honestly wondered the same thing. I used to collect Series I Dynamics and saw similar variation in the seconds hand. I’m not sure if its related to being a service replacement or natural variation, but I’ve seen both very consistently. Hopefully someone could chime in.

OneTwo likes this.
  4. masteroftime Jun 14, 2022

Some examples:

5FEB7257-6330-42F8-A242-A31817B6834D.jpeg l

BB19E163-A4B9-48C5-B4DB-E55F02C1E594.jpeg AF1AAAEB-42C3-4147-85D2-A1BB79216B9F.jpeg

Edited Jun 14, 2022
    OneTwo likes this.
  5. DHKNOLA Jun 14, 2022

This thread has been serendipitous for learning about this very cool reference.
    I was shown this watch last night in photos and just grabbed it today locally down here in the third world, I mean New Orleans :)

IMG_0116.JPG IMG_0119.JPG
    MDubs, bardamu and OneTwo like this.
  6. OneTwo Jun 14, 2022

Definitely agree that the Italy and Maryland ones cases have been polished. I also would highly recommend taking a closer look at the Japanese one for those that may be interested in it. There was another posting of the same watch on eBay(I can't find the listing just now) but there were significant tool marks just inside the case at the meeting of the case and caseback. As if someone had tried to pry it open rather than screw it off.

For the bracelets and the "stretched" notion, shouldn't these 1098 bracelets in their "new" condition have a looseness to them? The are a hollow link set up, unlike a solid link similar to a Rolex Oyster bracelet, and unless there is a bunch of over the years build up in them they should have a pretty relaxed feel to them. I could be wrong but after running my 1098 through the ultra sonic cleaner a bunch of times and cleaning out all the crud from inside the hollow links, the bracelet is pretty loose and the center links of the bracelets appear to be tight to one another.

And for a laugh here is some one that wants $9500Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network for one of these with an extremely polished case, with also missing most of the lume at the indices.

7. OneTwo Jun 14, 2022

Congrats on the new purchase! Bracelet might need a cleaning(bracelet only) but once it's cleaned off I'm sure it will be even better looking!

8. bardamu Jun 15, 2022

OneTwo likes this.
  9. kaplan Jun 15, 2022

Beautiful watch and I enjoyed the journey, I personally believe the seconds hand belongs to a Geneve Dynamic

I think @masteroftime can measure the seconds hand length of a Geneve Dynamic for you to compare with yours, the length can shed more light, sometimes they look the same but have 1-2mm of length difference, if it's the same I think it's a good idea to low-key look for a donor seconds hand

Here's my gift to you guys, I suspect one of you will snap it :D https://www.chrono24.com/all/168-02219726625--id22113385.htm

OneTwo likes this.
  10. DHKNOLA Jun 15, 2022

Thank you!
    It was so funny finding this thread the evening before I got this particular one (which has a date with the currently backed up spa in about a week or so) and I have enjoyed getting all your keen insights in to the reference, which was not really on my radar til I was forwarded the photos of the local one.
    FWIW, mine has 560 end links and is on a 1125 with a circle 32 bracelet.
    Once mine is cleaned up, I think it will be excellent. It has cases I like, honest, some scratches, but looks unpolished to me.
    Cheers y'all!

OneTwo likes this.
  11. OneTwo Jun 15, 2022

Ha! That looks to be the same images from the ebay listingPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network I attached earlier and at almost half the price and located in a different city in Japan. As I said before, I'd be wary of this watch. Multiple sources offering it for sale.

12. kaplan Jun 15, 2022

They are just reselling this one, it's very common on eBay, sometimes some resellers resell other resellers watches, so if you order from them, it'll be quite a chain

13. OneTwo Jun 15, 2022

Ah okay understood. Thanks for clarifying.

Edited Jun 15, 2022
  14. Pvt-Public Jun 15, 2022

What a joke !!! Let's break this down:
    Is there even such a thing as an "Ultraman Seamaster"
    Extremely rare Ultraman Seamaster in 9.5/10 condition: No way to tell with those low res grainy pics, but i seriously doubt the high rating.
    Reference Number:168.028: Not a 168.028 it is a 166.028. Is there such a thing as a 168.028
    Orange Ultraman Second Hand, Hesalite Domed Crystal, 12-Hour Dial, Acrylic Crystal, Date Indicator, Swiss Made:
    Is it really an Ultraman seconds hand
    It has both a hesalite doomed crystal and an acrylic crystal hmm sure it does.
    All for the over bloated price of $9500, what a bargain.
    What an idiot this guy is.

Edited Jun 15, 2022
  15. DHKNOLA Jun 16, 2022

I love the big block photo with white letters that says something to the effect of 'Every Omega with an orange seconds hand is a rare and valuable watch'.

Meanwhile the ebay one is about $900 with three bidders going at it.

OneTwo likes this.
  16. b-lilja Jun 16, 2022

For posterity.

20220616_191459.jpg

bardamu, OneTwo, MDubs and 1 other person like this.
  17. b-lilja Jun 16, 2022

I posted this elsewhere, but figured someone might have thoughts here. I had my watchmaker replace the crystal with a cyclops - I said I wanted an Omega one, which he tracked down and definitely charged me a lot for. There's no Omega logo on it. I totally trust him - no question there - but I wonder if where he got it from either repackaged a crystal? Or maybe a specific size with cyclops just missed getting the logo? A prior response said Omega crystals always have the logo - but that's an awful lot to actually verify. I note the chamfer on mine is different than yours OneTwo. Thoughts?

OneTwo likes this.
  18. b-lilja Jun 16, 2022

Oh - and I do know these were available with cyclops.

OneTwo likes this.
  19. kaplan Jun 17, 2022

I don't think that's an Omega crystal, the cyclops looked different to me, maybe he interpreted Stenkrautz Omega as Omega Omega etc.?

Maybe it's the photo but cyclops looks bigger than it should area-wise

20. OneTwo Jun 17, 2022

I just replaced the crystal on mine with a 063PZ5106(Non Cyclops) that does in fact have a omega logo in the middle of it. I did also think of putting the Omega Cystal with a cyclops on it (Part # 063PZ5106L), but decided not to go that path. But here on eBay is a PX5106LPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network (the "X" is for gold tension ring) that does in fact have an Omega Logo on it that can be seen in the second photo.

Regarding the chamfer of yours, I'm not sure from your photo but if you could post a couple more photos showing the watch from the side I could compare.