Forums Latest Members
  1. tedrg4 Apr 13, 2017

hello all-

I recently acquired a 168.022/166.028 Seamaster and I'm needing some advice. I have a watchmaker about a 2hrs drive from where I live that is ballparking me around 300 dollars for a full service of the movement and installation of an authentic crown (I already have the crown in my possession). He seems confident he can service the piece while keeping the dial, hands, finish in their original condition.

Does this estimate sound fairly solid? Would anyone happen to have someone they'd recommend for such a job that I could send the watch off to? Living in rural America (southeast Missouri) leaves my watchmaking options somewhat limited.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could give me.
    IMG_5715.JPG IMG_5716.JPG IMG_5717.JPG

2. Vulffi Apr 16, 2017

Great looking watch !
    I think the estimate sounds ok and it is the correct way to do, preserving all the original parts. Otherwise the watch looses value...

3. dx009 Apr 16, 2017

Just because a watchmaker is asking the "correct" amount of money doesn't mean he's actually good.

That's a very lovely time piece that you have there and it looks like it needs just minor cleaning inside and outside and a servicing of the movement (and of course the correct crown).

I don't know your guy but maybe it would be best to look around for more options and even try to do some research on the watchmaker that you contacted and see if he's a professional or not.

4. Vulffi Apr 16, 2017

Good point, I made the assumption that OP already knew the watchmaker or his reputation.

5. dx009 Apr 16, 2017

At first glance it just looks as if it needs some light cleaning of the dial and hands.

One one hand it's not a complex task but given the fact that these are fragile components, especially the hands, you shouldn't allow just about anyone to do it, that's why I said that he needs to be careful where to get it serviced.

The movement probably looks very good but OP's idea to service it regardless is very good as it will make everything function "like clockwork" and it will make the watch last for many more generations to come.

Vulffi likes this.