Forums Latest Members

Screwdriver for new omega speedmaster bracelet?

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 25, 2016

2. themarshmall0w Dec 26, 2016

You can have the perfect fitting screwdriver and you can loosen the loctite with whatever method you like but without the correct bracelet holding tool you're going to end up putting the screwdriver through your finger or making a deep scratch on the side of your bracelet. I have sized too many of these bracelets to know that you need a vice type bracelet holder like this http://www.julesborel.com/s.nl/it.A/id.30964/.f in order to properly transfer all of the force of the screw driver blade into the screw slot. Without this the bracelet is flopping around and you can't get seem to get a good grip on the screw because of the awkward angle. For the record, I would never put that bracelet in boiling water. Dunking your bracelet in hot water isn't a laser guided missile directed at the 2 screws you're after, it really is the spray and pray method where ALL of your screws get loosened. If you do this method I hope you go back to all of your screws to re apply the loctite. That being said I have never had to heat any bracelets up with a bracelet vice, good shaped screwdriver and some elbow grease.

COYI, D.D., Archer and 1 other person like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 26, 2016

I use the same type of vice, mine is actually a Citizen vice, and it works well for screwed bracelets as well as for those with pins and tubes.

Cheers, Al

D.D. likes this.
  4. SteveShepherd Sep 11, 2018

5. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 11, 2018

Ordered a $6 set of screw drivers from Amazon. 1.5 2.0 2.5 and a $2 magnifying glass. Change the straps and size bracelets just fine. Maganafying glass really handy with the $3 strap/ bracelet holder.

D.D. and SteveShepherd like this.
  6. Gruesome Sep 12, 2018

Somebody revived an old thread, but regardless, I think the most important advise is to size and shape the screwdriver tip for this particular screw. It needs be the right width, so it neither mars the screw nor the inside of the hole, and neither too pointy an angle, so that it doesn't bottom out in the slot, nor too large a tip angle, so that it doesn't slip out. Take your time to shape the screwdriver tip, and go slow.

There is at least one web page dedicated to proper shaping of watch screwdrivers: http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/sdriver/sdriver.html .
    I'm not sure this is the one I found last time, since it currently doesn't load.

Edited Sep 12, 2018
    RPC, D.D. and SteveShepherd like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 12, 2018

Yes, most people don't realize that screwdriver blades must be fitted to the slot. Watchmakers who do the job properly are fitting screwdrivers on an ongoing basis, because there are sometimes vast differences in the screw slots. I have more than one set of screwdrivers, because I keep some dressed more for modern watches that tend to have wider slots, and then some for vintage watches that tend to have narrow slots. Saves me a bit of time at the bench having more than one set.

That link gives pretty decent advice...

Cheers, Al

D.D. likes this.
  8. D.D. Dec 18, 2018

I have finally acquired a Speedmaster 60th Anniversary (311.10.39.30.01.001).
    My current set of screwdrivers' blades are too sharp / not thick enough, resulting a slight damage on one bracelet screw...

Would appreciate recommendations for a screwdriver which would be right for resizing the watch's bracelet.

pitbos likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2018

Screwdrivers don't come fitted to the screw slot, so all you need is a file and some magnification, and you can dress the screwdriver you have to fit the slot properly. If it's too thin, then removing material from the end of the tip will be the way you want to start, so just keep the end straight and dress it until the blade is just short of touching the bottom of the screw slot.

Cheers, Al

D.D. likes this.
  10. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Dec 18, 2018

Here is a question about screwdrivers.

Is it Ok to use a screwdriver with a magnetic tip when working on bracelets?

This way the pesky little things don't get away.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2018

I believe most cases and bracelets (including the screws) are made of 316L stainless, so since that's a non-magnetic steel, I'm not sure a magnetized screwdriver is going to help. However gravity is always helpful in these situations, to turning the bracelet so the side of it is up will allow you to simply drop the screw in place, then use the screwdriver to tighten it...

Personally using magnets near watches is not something I do, but YMMV.

12. cfracing Dec 18, 2018

I believe I read on this forum that it was not recommended to use hollow ground screwdrivers on watch screws, but my 1.8 mm hollow ground Wiha, like the one mentioned by the OP, appears to fit my 60th Anniversary Speedy bracelet screws perfectly.

D.D. likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2018

Hollow ground are useful in some circumstances, but I primarily use them for round headed screws, and most screw on watches are not of that type.

14. JKN Apr 16, 2019

Having done this both ways now I can say that heat makes all difference. I did my Speedmaster a while back with a proper screw driver and lots of care and while I got it done it was a pain in the neck that required much more effort and risk of damage than I would like. Just did my new Mark II and a few seconds with the butane micro-torch and they all came loose easily with no drama. If you have any trouble at all I suggest stopping and adding more heat. The resistance you are fighting is almost completely due to the Loctite. More force is not the answer.

schoolboy likes this.
  15. cfracing Apr 17, 2019

My 60th Anniversary Speedy bracelet did not have any Loctite, either that or it had very little because I had no problem unscrewing the screws with minimal effort.

16. jspaxton Apr 17, 2019

This is an old thread but has good info for newbies like me. Thanks everyone.

17. OMESQ May 31, 2020

18. OMESQ Jun 1, 2020

This also was helpful to me. It worked flawlessly. I used a pencil torch from Esslinger and a 180 driver. You’re a good guy, Al.

Gruesome likes this.
  19. BatDad Jun 1, 2020

I can attest - hot water does not melt loctite enough to loosen a bracelet screw. :(

20. schoolboy Aug 30, 2020

Came here looking to find a perfect screwdriver for my Speedy Hesalite but after reading the whole thread it seems like it doesn't exist. I wanted to add something here because I didn't see it on the thread.

I have sized the bracelet on my Rolex Datejust before and to loosen the loctite I used a cheap cigarette lighter. I think it works well.

It might create zoot on your bracelet, but it is easily wiped off.