Forums Latest Members
  1. Martin_J_N Oct 28, 2020

My understanding from my AD is that once you have bought a watch from them, doesn't matter what brand, they stock Cartier, Hublot and Rolex, that opens the door to the 'Unobtainable watches'. So when I initially went in to the store to discuss getting my first Rolex (an OP or Explorer) I knew nothing about this hidden door. I ended up ordering a DJ41 and only when the sale had been completed a few weeks later did the SA tell me about now having access to the mystical professional range of watches.

Now, you bought an Explorer, I don't think that this requires any previous history, if it does, what on earth is left in Rolex's line-up to get you started. You bought a stunningly beautiful watch, look after your AD you never know when that next Rolex is going to be required or what it is going to be.

Enjoy your Explorer and wear in good health.

2. Shay Oct 28, 2020

Thank you indeed this AD has been very genuine and nice. I did watch a YouTube video some time back about special order where you pay a deposit and the AD tells you when the watch is going to come. I guess my experience was the same, when I paid the £1000 deposit the receipt had a delivery date in early October and I wasn’t sure if that was real. But it did in fact arrive in October.

3. Capt Cave Man Oct 28, 2020

Interesting... My local AD also stock, Breitling, Rolex, Omega etc. When discussing the Snoopy and subsequent deposit, I also enquired on how do I go about ordering a Submariner as I'm considering one for my 50th in... ahem, a couple of years or so ;)
    1) I have to formally state my interest in a Rolex piece and complete the form... err, OK?
    2) They then undertake an internal check... am I local - within 50 miles, what is my purchase history etc... WTF?
    3) I will then be invited, at some point in the future :whistling: ...to put down a deposit to confirm my interest and I'm on 'the' list... :confused:

A Submariner, for me is to scratch the divers itch also, as I've now purchased 3 Omega's of late, I fancy a change for my next piece.

I'm assuming I've already opened the door but I'm undecided if I want to proceed due to the ::censored:: hoops. Initially I was peeved, being told to how to jump... for a mass produced watch! In hindsight they may have been hinting I'm already at 3) as I was also informed it's simply a formality as they already have my details/history with them etc... if so, why not simply say so ::rant:

It just seems a bit... overcooked compared to my purchasing experiences with Omega and, at the same AD ::facepalm2::

I'm still possibly interested in going ahead but am I reading too much into the process, is it simply how it's done a'la Rolex ::confused2::

Dash1 and Martin_J_N like this.
  4. Martin_J_N Oct 28, 2020

I have two Rolex's, the wife one, each was bought easily and without any drama, I never expected a Submariner within 3 weeks of launch, I still cannot believe how lucky I have been. Its your call whether you want to go through these steps to get a Submariner, its only a watch and the Omega divers are damn fine watches and will hold their own on any beach or in any swimming pool.

The AD's get pilloried by many for allowing flippers to access the watches too easily, when the AD's try to tighten up the process they get pilloried for making people jump through hoops, its would seem that an AD just cannot win.

Over to you to decide.

Oh, and the Submariner is just stunning, really stunning.

:)

Capt Cave Man likes this.
  5. Shay Oct 29, 2020

I have been through the same process. Did you go to an AD in the last few weeks?

6. Shay Oct 29, 2020

Sorry I meant I didn’t go through the same process.

7. Capt Cave Man Oct 29, 2020

No, this was all over the phone.

This was when they called regarding the Snoopy, confirming my slot and paying the deposit. Apparently I'm now #1, the first person on their list dropped out. They expect receipt for this piece towards end of Q1 2021 but obviously this may slip and we then discussed the possibility to obtain it towards the end of April to coincide with my B'day, this all then led onto discussing the Sub.

@Martin_J_N, Yes, Omega's diver offerings are great pieces, guess I'm a little torn between both but thought it would be nice to have a Rolex in the mix and for me it's would be a Sub although generally I'm drawn to Omega...

I did say, until I've seen the Snoopy/completed that transaction I wouldn't commit. When the call comes I'll also ask if it's possible to see one in the metal to help in my decision, aka plan of attack for saving and likelihood of actually getting one.

Martin_J_N likes this.
  8. Robbie77 Oct 29, 2020

Congrats. Enjoy

9. Capt Cave Man Oct 29, 2020

Cheers for your insights @Martin_J_N it's been really, really helpful :thumbsup:

I'm still aiming on the Snoopy, the idea of having both ss 50th pieces side by side honestly gives me goosebumps, I suspect I will be aiming for a Sub as my next big purchase.

Martin_J_N likes this.
  10. chaw6125 Oct 29, 2020

I feel really lucky to have for my Sub date in 2015 for retail. They were easier to source then but it was still a friend of a friend kind of deal. Around that time you could walk in and get a Milgauss or Explorer 2 no bother at all. Now even those are hard to come by. The only watch I really want still is a Daytona. Maybe for my 40th which is still a way off, but I refuse to pay over retail so very unlikely I will ever own one. I loved the Daytona before I really knew what it was and that there even was any hype around it.

Also agree that the sub is much better than the 2 Omegas I own. The bracelet is another league compared to my speedy pro or PO. There are some things Omega do better but if I were to be a 1 watch guy the rest of my life it would be my sub which has huge sentimental value (wore it when I got married and when my daughter was born).

11. Martin_J_N Oct 29, 2020

Good luck, I hope you get your Snoopy.

Capt Cave Man likes this.
  12. UCZ_15 Oct 29, 2020

Bit late to this post - but I grew so sick of the toxic London Rolex AD culture and process which dragged on for months and contained a dozen empty promises, I simply walked into my local Omega AD (a little outside London) and bought an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. Never looked back. They shipped me OEM rubber in a short size and an Omega NATO in less time than I could get an email response from any of the Rolex ADs to say that I either need to buy multiple watches or wait a year. I'm never ever buying a Rolex ever again, unless I can do it without having to pay over retail or jump through silly hoops. Got my eye on a Seamaster Planet Ocean now, might give the Seamaster 300 diver another go.

The moral of the story is: I don't think people actually LOVE Rolex watches that much. I think they love the status of owning one. Would you buy 2 HP laptops just to get on a waiting list to buy a MacBook Pro? Think about it.

13. Martin_J_N Oct 29, 2020

Great post, its always nice to see a post from someone with passion and conviction.

I am lucky enough to own 3 Omega watches, they have been bought over the last 10 years, I think that they are fantastic watches. I have a great relationship with the team at my Omega dealership.

Thankfully I also have a great relationship with the SA's at my Rolex dealership, they are a really friendly bunch. I haven't had to jump through any hoops to get the watches I want and I would never get involved in playing silly games to get a watch.

Should either Omega or Rolex require me to play games to buy a watch I would simply not buy from either, there are plenty of other great watches out there, we just have to have the confidence to go and buy them.

The biggest issue in this day and age is 'value', far too many people expect their watch to either go up in value or at least retain value, in many posts you will actually see people ask which are the best watches to invest in, totally the wrong way to look at buying a watch.

We are all free to buy whatever we want from wherever we want, after all it is our money to spend as we see fit, I am delighted that you have found a great Omega dealership and that you are enjoying your AT. Congratulations.

14. UCZ_15 Oct 29, 2020

Thank you sir! I am enjoying it more than I can even put into words. I upgraded from a £100 Seiko 5 and an Orient Ray II so its a huge achievement and accomplishment for me to have saved for this watch while still getting 'life' done. I agree on the value thing. People can always download eToro or open a Stocks and Shares ISA if they want to invest but unfortunately, the artificial shortage of Rolex watches is taken huge advantage of by resellers and gray market dealers. Really sucks for us regular folks out here!

Thats awesome that you have a great relationship with your Rolex AD! I visited a dozen ADs in London over a weekend in August and didn't have that same luck unfortunately. Might have to look elsewhere in the country. Until I'm ready to buy my next piece, I will forever be caught staring at my Aqua Terra and still not knowing what time it is.

15. Shay Oct 29, 2020

I have an Omega Speedmaster and I wanted to have another Iconic watch and the Explorer 1 looks a good choice. I am not sure whether Status matter for watch enthusiasts. Maybe it’s more to do with value retention. They know in the future they can sell the Rolex and get another watch.

16. Martin_J_N Oct 29, 2020

Some may buy to wear and sell later, others may buy to keep, some may buy to flip.

We all have different reasons to buy our watches, in reality they are a luxury as we don't need to own a watch, our phones or computers can tell us the time.

Me, I buy to keep, each watch is different, nothing looks the same as another.

17. It's Hedley Oct 29, 2020

I am on a waitlist here in middle America for a Sub Date. I went in before the new release in August and was told a "couple of months". As soon as the new release was announced the tune changed to "hopefully by Christmas". I am fine waiting, but I understand why some would be put off. I am okay with waiting as I know the Rolex will be a one time purchase. I have an Omega Speedmaster Pro Sapphire incoming, so these two will be my higher end watches as I soon move into a nomad retirement. I think they will be a good pair.

Good luck out there!

18. Shay Nov 1, 2020

Here you go guys. Picked the watch yesterday. I have to say I thought that 39 would be too big for me but it’s perfect and I absolutely love it. In person it looks so nice.

E7D4DB41-962E-452D-BBB0-8666F3879DB8.jpeg 5A9AA8D8-27CB-4167-A4D5-0D9752F0F872.jpeg EFC9ED97-671A-4CB3-B1EF-B3C2692BFFDA.jpeg
    eldiano84, kkt, blufinz52 and 3 others like this.
  19. UCZ_15 Nov 1, 2020

Looks fantastic. I do love the Explorer. They could easily fit this movement into a 36mm case like they've done with the Oyster Perpetual so I don't know why they discontinued it. Could've had 2 models sat beside each other. Oh well. Fits your wrist perfectly. Wear it in good health!

20. Shay Nov 1, 2020

I have a small wrist and watching all these YouTube influencer i was also thinking of 36 but actually the 39 is perfect.