Forums Latest Members
  1. Evitzee Feb 18, 2020

Agree on the ST2, including the use of the burnt orange color to make it pop more instead of the traditional black and white motif, it lends itself to many strap possibilities. I don't think the two standard straps were the best choices to showcase the watch.

2. ctime3 Feb 18, 2020

Good chat here everyone. Forgive me if this was asked, but wouldn’t it be odd if the new moon was not nasa qualified. I assume the government testing would take longer than normal. Or maybe omega will just make 1861’s for nasa only? Similar to the X-33

3. MTROIS Feb 18, 2020

I guess we don’t know if and when said testing will (has) take(n) place, but for all intents and purposes of still calling this the Moonwatch, it is everybody’s assumption that the caliber 3861 would have to be tested against NASA specs... and probably by NASA.
    Is that fair to say? Everybody?

4. ctime3 Feb 18, 2020

Hi, yes that seems correct. Makes sense.

5. Evitzee Feb 18, 2020

I question how important this Flight Qualified deal is anymore. I don't think NASA really cares, more important to Omega from marketing angle. But maybe that has lost it's value as well.

rominvicta likes this.
  6. mmaggi Feb 18, 2020

If NASA is planning another moon landing in 2024, I would bet they do care.

7. MTROIS Feb 18, 2020

Why don’t you think it has any relevance any more?

I think it is more important than ever to Omega from a marketing and business perspective as they are putting this watch front and center with 321 re-edition and a new movement upgrade... and to NASA, if they indeed plan on going back to the moon. No quartz watch can operate properly outside of a capsule, lunar module or station.

8. mmaggi Feb 18, 2020

Not to mention this will be a business opportunity for NASA. They will sell it to the highest bidder. I could see Omega, Rolex & others putting in bids to land their watches on the moon.

9. Evitzee Feb 18, 2020

It is important to Omega, but of less importantance to NASA. Many types of watches have flown in space over the last 50 years, NASA wouldn't have a burning need to get the 3861 flight qualified. Times and technology have changed since the early 60's. Now if Omega wants to do all the work and pay for it NASA probably could be persuaded, but even then it will take NASA time and manpower to shepherd it through.

NASA, and most governments, don't operate like that, they aren't in the business to generate revenue through endorsements. All they want is the best product that fits their specs at the lowest price.

10. MTROIS Feb 18, 2020

Yes, exactly this:
    - Omega has the means for something this important, and more importantly, they surely have a great relationship with NASA that they have been cultivating for more than 50 years now.
    - I am quite certain this process has been initiated some time ago, in order to prepare the launch of the 3861 in a regular series product. I mean, this is not “rocket science” (pun indeed intended!) in terms of project leadership. ;)

Anyhow, time will tell.

11. Evitzee Feb 18, 2020

Well, they obviously didn't have the certification last year for the two LE's, which would have been naturals for that imprimatur. Indeed, we will just have to wait and see what the Omega mothership coughs up when the series production Speedmasters with the 3861 are announced. Hopefully this year.

12. GoBlueJedi Feb 20, 2020

But didn't both of the 50th Anniversary models have sapphire crystals? I feel like that would be non-starter.

I could easily be wrong (and please correct me if I am), but isn't that why the sapphire sandwich isn't flight-qualified while the hesalite model is? My assumption is (and again, please correct me if I'm wrong) that the whole watch is flight-qualified, not just the movement. I'm not sure there would be any need or desire to consider the anniversary models for flight-qualification.