Retirement of the 1861 Caliber

Posts
176
Likes
340
Where would you like me to start in terms of how-to-spot-a-fake-schpiel? I’ve had more convincing emails from Nigerian oligarchs.

I don't know why you think I would take the time to make this up, or post something that was not real...
 
Posts
176
Likes
340
Again, I don't mean to sound skeptical, but an unsigned letter, with some odd grammar and no model number of the watch they are trying to sell you before they run out...just "Omega Speedmaster Professional" and "Caliber 1861"...I have a hard time taking this seriously...

I don't mind if you don't take it seriously, just sharing what I saw as interesting information. I would think that you will all receive this information shortly...
Edited:
 
Posts
833
Likes
1,571
I edited the OB information from the letter. I don't mind if you don't take it seriously, just sharing what I saw as interesting information. I would think that you will all receive this information shortly...
I count at least three misuses of the apostrophe, not to mention the fact that the last sentence doesn’t even make sense. I teach 9yos that could advertise better.
 
Posts
30,175
Likes
77,921
Tough crowd this. Always seeing some sort of scam going on.

I've seen a ton of news and correspondence from Omega, but never have I seen one "announcing" the discontinuation of a watch movement.

There's nothing about the 1861 being discontinued on the Omega Extranet.

This letter doesn't have the feel of an official communication from Omega. This could be the OB trying to drum up sales and limit discounts at the same time, but if this comes from some corporate Omega person, I would be surprised.
 
Posts
30,175
Likes
77,921
I am thinking the same thing... I usually enjoy reading and learning from the posts on the forum, wonder if it is worth posting anyting


I didn't create the letter, I simply shared it...

Don't take it personally...no idea what's going on but again this doesn't seem real to me...
 
Posts
833
Likes
1,571
I didn't create the letter, I simply shared it...

I would urge you to take a closer look at your source In that case. Omega can be accused of many things, but sending out communications whether by advertising or other means in such laughable English is not one of them.
 
Posts
7,774
Likes
14,366
I count at least three misuses of the apostrophe, not to mention the fact that the last sentence doesn’t even make sense. I teach 9yos that could advertise better.
Today, most college graduates can't tell you the difference between 'its' and 'it's' and their proper usage. Chalk that up to the poor standard of English education. I've seen them constantly misused by people who should know better..
 
Posts
10,746
Likes
16,730
300 million people can't spell colour or Aluminium but we try our best to tolerate it.
 
Posts
5,631
Likes
5,814
Today, most college graduates can't tell you the difference between 'its' and 'it's' and their proper usage. Chalk that up to the poor standard of English education. I've seen them constantly misused by people who should know better..
This is not new. You see it more often because of the Internet/Web. I assure you people have been getting those confused for generations.
 
Posts
18,730
Likes
38,879
OP obviously didn't like the responses so they removed it.

Sufficient reason for banning IMO.
 
Posts
7,774
Likes
14,366
This is not new. You see it more often because of the Internet/Web. I assure you people have been getting those confused for generations.
It's not confusion, it's ignorance. Nothing to celebrate.
 
Posts
5,631
Likes
5,814
It's not confusion, it's ignorance. Nothing to celebrate.
No, it's confusion. The rule is different for that word.

Also words that are homonyms in some dialects such as there/their/they're and two/to/too are often confused as well.

English degree, studied grammar, etc. Writing English is hard for some people. There are words I rarely write that I have to look up as well.
 
Posts
795
Likes
1,159
300 million people can't spell colour or Aluminium but we try our best to tolerate it.

..or pronounce. ... 😁
Edited:
 
Posts
7,320
Likes
23,727
300 million people can't spell colour or Aluminium but we try our best to tolerate it.

But I do my best to weave a “whilst” into a sentence or two when possible..
 
Posts
18,302
Likes
27,671
I’d not go stocking up on late 861’s quite yet.

they have had a new caseback for awhile...

but without knowing the new ones looks it’s a hard call.

if they go AML and keep the aluminum bezel and not change anything else... No one will really care about the last ones.
If they go ceramic bezel... it might go up.
 
Posts
477
Likes
496
..or pronounce. ... 😁
The first time I called a Rolex AD, I asked for a submarine-er

the guy said “let me check if we have any sub-Mariners”

😉
 
Posts
1,444
Likes
2,221
But I do my best to weave a “whilst” into a sentence or two when possible..

Yes. I find that the subtler approach works a treat, whilst avoiding undue offence.

I'm interested to know if there's a consensus on which updates to the Speedy Pro are considered desirable. Do most really want:
- A METAS certified but non-NASA flight qualified 3861 movement?
- Sapphire rather than hesalite crystal?
- Applied logo and/or indices?
- A ceramic bezel?
- White enamel tachymètre?
- A Naiad-lock caseback?
- No "First watch worn on..." lettering?
- EDIT: 100m WR

It seems like only a few of the above would be likely to make it into a revamped Speedy Pro, and at least some of those would break the line of continuity from the original Moonwatches. Just wondering which of the updates appeal to the community here.
Edited: