Forums Latest Members

Restoration Services - Best Private Vendor

1. Kronos Infinity Mar 31, 2021

Hello All,

I am wondering who everyone would recommend for watch restoration services? Who's you're preferred vendor?

I've used Andy Lewis at Ultra Vintage Watches in Ohio and the restoration outcome was excellent but it took about 5 1/2 months to complete and there was a long period of no communication which made me a little uneasy. Great work by Andy at Ultra vintage at the end though. I have a local guy in NYC I use for normal servicing / minor repairs.

Are there any other Restoration Vendors anyone would recommend? I'm located in NY/USA.

Thanks, I look forward to everyone's suggestions.

cvalue13 likes this.
  2. Dan S Mar 31, 2021

What type of work are you looking to have done? And what type of watch? Frankly, if you were satisfied with the outcome, I don't think that a 5 month turnaround should stop you from using the same person again. Good people usually have a backlog, and quality work takes time. The absence of communication isn't great, but the fact that you had a good outcome should give you more confidence moving forward.

amcclell, JwRosenthal and marco like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 31, 2021

As Dan says the best guys always have a backlog or are not accepting new clients if they’re especially busy. Some of them also aren’t always on top of emails but that’s the cost of quality. It’s a reality that when it comes to working on high end watches there is a shortage of watchmakers at the top end of the bell curve that are considered a safe set of hands for 5 figure plus vintage pieces.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 31, 2021

My question is: What are you having restored? 5 months is not unreasonable.

5. wagudc Mar 31, 2021

If your watchmaker says that they can get the watch back to you in a few days, you better run. Any decent watchmaker who charges fair prices will have at least month long waiting list.

Kronos Infinity and Archer like this.
  6. SkunkPrince Mar 31, 2021

And even if they can start right away, a proper job with all of the adjusting and testing involved will take many weeks.

wagudc likes this.
  7. thelinendial Mar 31, 2021

I'd be interested to hear what was done and also - only if comfortable in showing - the before and after.

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 31, 2021

If I had a major restoration job, I’d send it to RGM.