Forums Latest Members
  1. Batoche May 11, 2019

I am looking at purchasing an Omega Seamaster Professional 300M 212.30.41.20.03.001. There is a six year-old one available that is for sale at $Cdn 3600 on eBay. Because it is in Canada, as I am, I would not have to pay tax or customs on it which will save me 17% of gross. At the same time, on Chronos 24, that same watch, new, is for sale at $Cdn 4056 (plus 17% duty and tax), https://www.chrono24.ca/omega/seamaster-diver300m-co-axial-chronometer-21230412003001--id7381082.htm.
    I e-mailed the vendor, Montauk Group in Switzerland, and was told that international warranty was stamped from an AD and has the warranty for five years. The new Chronos watch will cost me $Cdn 1100 more than the six-year old used one, but it has the five-year warranty apparently. Is there something I am not seeing or I am not aware of? I read that some vendors keep the warranty cards information on-site and if you have an issue you have to go through them, not Omega.
    Any comments would be welcomed.

Edited May 11, 2019
  2. AdInfinitum May 11, 2019

I decided to be helpful and bought the Canadian one already.

You're welcome. ;)

Just kidding! IMHO if the Canadian one has been ticking without problems for 6 years, why not save the $1100 now and send the watch for a complete service (probably less than $1100 from Omega, and *much* less if performed by a 3rd-party Omega certified technician)? Then you would have some sort of warranty on the repair.

Perhaps you could convince the seller to send the watch for a diagnosis before purchase so you aren't buying a lemon. If there's a will...

Batoche likes this.
  3. Batoche May 11, 2019

Pretty much what I have been wrestling with, too. A complete service from Omega Canada is $750.

4. AdInfinitum May 11, 2019

"The international warranty covers material and manufacturing defects existing at the time of purchase of your OMEGA watch"

So, any such defects would be identified on assessment + service.

Omega has a 2y post-service warranty, plus the watch wouldn't need another complete service for at least 5-8 years (maybe you could stretch that even longer if desired).

Probably can't go wrong buying from a reputable Swiss seller, either - it's all up to you!

Don't forget to post some pix of your Omega after purchase... in various states of decency :D ;)

Batoche likes this.
  5. peterkirk01 May 13, 2019

Complete service from Omega for 750 Canadian dollars seems really good value but does this include everything. If sent to them and they then decide that lots of new or replacement parts are required then I can see a much larger bill. New one for 456 plus 17 % would seem like a no brainier to me or am I missing something here. 6 year old plus service is more expensive than new one with full warranty. Enlighten me please.

Batoche likes this.
  6. Batoche May 13, 2019

Thanks for your response - appreciated. Yes, it would be $4056 + 17% (tax and duty from CH)= $4745 Cdn. The six-year old is $3600, which is considerably less than what I see on all the forums. I was sent the results of a Witschi test and all checked out, even though my sceptical side told me this could all be part of an elaborate scam!

7. Albe100 May 13, 2019

Have you done your research on the eBay seller? Does he have a good feedback rating? If the seller is located near enough, perhaps you can arrange to go see the actual watch in person if you are that worried about it being a scam. Ask if the seller is active in any forums and you can look them up to confirm reputation .
    As for a service, a 3rd party, competent watchmaker can service the watch at half that cost and give you, usually a 1to 2 year guarantee.
    Good luck

8. blacka01 May 13, 2019

I purchased my Speedy sapphire sandwich from Montauk off Chrono24, great price and no issues with the transaction / delivery. Came with a stamped warranty card from a dealer in Cairo, Egypt.