Forums Latest Members

Anyone Used Restoration Service with Lapinist Watch Restoration

1. robinhook Jun 23, 2019

Hello OFers. I recently got a vintage Grand Seiko 6145-8000 on eBay, the first GS Hi-Beat model in the late 60s with with the famous "Grammer of Design" case. It has been serviced in Japan in May 2019, running strongly, the dial and hands are in good shape. The case has been polished before, it's generally in a good shape, however the original lines and shapes from the Zaratsu finish was somewhat lost.

I saw this video from a guy called Lapinist Watch Restoration, and was stunned with the quality of his work and the result:

I emailed him and he is an independent watchmaker, who is able to perform the Zaratsu polish/finish and specializes in restoring GS and KS watches. He has an instagram account with pictures showing the before and after the restoration, which involves micro-welding to add missing steel before the Zaratsu finishing. I'd say the work appear to be on par with the original finish out of the factory. Total cost would be ~EUR 200 plus shipping.

I'm very tempted to have him restoring my watch. I know refinishing a watch generally decrease the value, but I simply cannot move my eyes away with the finish displayed in the video and think it is totally worth it... Did anyone use his service before, or has any experience with him? Do you think it is worth it to proceed?

Thanks!

2. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 23, 2019

::popcorn::

3. wsfarrell Jun 24, 2019

Not trying to put you off, but this question may be more appropriate at a Seiko forum. People at OF are familiar with the Speedmaster Mk II, and there are vehement opinions on both sides regarding recutting the case on a lapping machine. That's a beautiful finish on the Hi-Beat above, but I have no idea whether Seiko enthusiasts would regard this as a good thing or a sacrilege.