Forums Latest Members
  1. 4tfriday Feb 6, 2020

Hello all,

First post on here, so apologies if it isn’t the correct area.

So I’ve got the chance to purchase a pretty old seamaster with a beautiful honeycomb dial. Only thing is it’s had a bit of a hard life and could do with some TLC. So I’ve been thinking of using the omega restoration service.

I know it’s not cheap at £1000 but I don’t mind spending that on a watch that I’m going to keep throughout my life.

So I just wanted to have your thoughts on this, has anybody used Omega for this service? If so did the restoration include an actual mechanical service. Also is there anything else that the restoration service includes (paperwork, special packaging, etc).

Thanks in advance

thelinendial and Etp095 like this.
  2. Gui13250 Feb 6, 2020

Welcome on OF!

this subject has been discuss many times, most of OF member will tell you to never use the omega restoration service, as they will probably polish the watch, change hands and maybe dial, in that way that it will no longer be a collectible vintage omega with its own history... it all depends on what you look for with your omega :)

4tfriday likes this.
  3. Gui13250 Feb 6, 2020

4. seekingseaquest Feb 6, 2020

As stated, it’s your watch. But if it were my watch, I would hate to see Omega replace/re-paint a honeycomb dial. Best to stick with a private watchmaker. Will be a lot cheaper and you should have more control over the originality.

thelinendial, Etp095 and 4tfriday like this.
  5. 4tfriday Feb 6, 2020

Thanks for all your replies!

and tbh as shallow as it sounds as it’s somebody else’s watch prior to my ownership, the history behind the watch isn’t something that’ll bare any significance to me, I quiet like the thought of a pristine vintage sea master or de Ville.
    Would love to have one with a clean, restored honeycomb dial, as long as they didn’t replace the entire thing.

6. Dan S Feb 6, 2020

Do you care about the collectible value? If the condition is really bad, there's not much to lose. But we can't tell without photos.

7. 4tfriday Feb 6, 2020

Honestly, I really don’t care about the collectible value, I just want a watch that I like, that I can enjoy and just wear, I have no desire to sell it on for a profit after purchasing it. That’s why I’m not too bothered about omega replacing parts and refurbishing the watch (as long as they don’t replace the beautiful dial, I don’t care if they repaint it and clean it up, I love my watches having that clean, pristine look.
    Thanks for your time

74F838A8-92FD-40B6-BCD9-D186215B5592.jpeg 4888C54E-2386-40D2-B877-AED43957AF76.jpeg 7A72C9CA-78F6-49C4-8AE4-1DCD06AEA102.jpeg
  8. Dan S Feb 6, 2020

I see that the dial is stained around the outside and has a spot below the 9 o'clock marker. Still, it has some appeal. My understanding is that Omega will send it out to be re-painted by a third party. I have seen some of the results, and they are usually decent, but not always phenomenal IMO. It can be a bit of a crap-shoot and you never know how a re-dial will look. You only know the price.

Another option would be to trade that watch to another member who already has a refinished waffle dial. I tend to think that there are many OF members who accidentally bought a refinished dial, and would prefer yours. And they can only be original once.

DaveK and kkt like this.
  9. snunez Feb 6, 2020

Dan's got a great idea here. There are so few original survivors out there, and you can probably find a refinished dial more easily.

10. Dr.K Feb 6, 2020

Maybe look at the website for omega addict (Tim)? That is if USA based.

Rosarito likes this.