Forums Latest Members
  1. Observer I know nothing! Jun 9, 2019

I don't know how much you spent, but rest assured that many, if not most, of the collectors here have learned far more expensive lessons. Keep learning and you'll make better informed decisions, and if you get a chance to post pictures here before buying you'll get good advice. If it keeps fairly accurate time and looks good, it's still a good watch. I have found that almost nobody outside of these forums will notice the difference.

2. Observer I know nothing! Jun 9, 2019

It means enjoy the watch and better luck next time. :)

DaveK likes this.
  3. Skogh Jun 9, 2019

Around 300$.

4. Skogh Jun 9, 2019

I don't get it? It's not a redial but the dial is wrong anyway?

5. Observer I know nothing! Jun 9, 2019

What he means is that the dial is from a different watch. A redial is when the dial is repainted.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. stahlmotte Jun 9, 2019

Not a redial:thumbsup:

7. Observer I know nothing! Jun 9, 2019

Could be a lot worse. That's almost free in Omega dollars, so it's a relatively inexpensive lesson, and you still get a watch.

8. Skogh Jun 9, 2019

I get that. What I don't get is: If the dial is correct then what is the problem with lume? If someone changed the lume or hands, isn't that a redial? (no idea if that's the case here tough)

9. Observer I know nothing! Jun 9, 2019

The hands and dial are also from different watches. AKA a franken-omega. As mentioned above, it's only a redial if it's repainted.

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Skogh Jun 9, 2019

I'm so confused. What I think and correct me if I'm wrong.

The dial is legit and correct to the movement. The case, hands and lume/minute markers (5,10 etc) might be from a different watch? Minute markers looks replaced imo. maybe the hands are legit.

What's a redial then? Only if someone has painted it? I thought a redial was if you changes something that's on the dial like hands etc.

Edited Jun 9, 2019
  11. Skogh Jun 9, 2019

I think I get it now. Would you still call it an Omega? My guess is that most of the Omega vintage are Franken?

12. Observer I know nothing! Jun 9, 2019

Dial: real but doesn’t match case or hands.
    Hands: don’t match dial. May or may not go with case.
    Movement. Nobody knows. Haven’t seen a photo.
    Case: I don’t know, but we’d all learn more from a photo of the inside of the case back (assuming it started life with the case).
    Redial = repainted.

Not sure what else I can tell you other than read the stickies threads at the top of the forum. It’s well worth your time.

DaveK and Foo2rama like this.
  13. Skogh Jun 9, 2019

Thanks for the clarification. Would you call it a real Omega? I'm not a brand snob but for a very specific reason I want to have an Omega as a symbol for "the end" of something in my life, considering Omega is last in the Greek alphabet.

Movement:

IMG_20190609_081635_124.jpg
  14. Observer I know nothing! Jun 9, 2019

You can call it an Omega and 99.99% of the world won’t care. Be honest when you sell it, though. I don’t know how many frankenomegas there are, but it’s not hard to find the original ones.

I don’t know what your watch budget is. I would, and did, keep it and buy another one after reading a lot of old threads here.

15. Skogh Jun 9, 2019

Read above. I don't care what other people think :) I want it to be a real Omega for my own reason:

I'm sick and I'm in the end of my disease and want the watch as a symbol for hope. I don't want that hope to be fake. Yes it's cheesy and way to deep but you start thinking about things like that when you're sick :(

yande and DaveK like this.
  16. Observer I know nothing! Jun 9, 2019

It's not cheesy at all. I can't think of anything more profound. I think that it's real Omega, and the perfect symbol you were seeking.

17. Skogh Jun 9, 2019

Thank you for the kind words. Idk what happend, my english was awful today, usually it's pretty good, especially considering I have learned so much English that I think in English, not Swedish. So the thread got a bit bigger than it needed to be :D

Observer likes this.
  18. Seadiver Jun 10, 2019

No, need to take the brake in your art of arguing.
    Not all vintage Omegas are franken.
    Most of them had a few services over the past years, where parts were changed with original (you can call them today vintage as well) parts.
    What we are looking here, is a Franken par excellence, because nothing fits well.
    Everything vlmea from another watch and hopefully not from a certified watchmaker in the past.

19. Skogh Jun 10, 2019

I was not not arguing. I asked. I'm new to this world, at least vintage.

Now I'm arguing a bit: I heard from other people that it looks legit. I've seen 2 with the exact same kind of lume and hands (made sure to see that it's not mine) One watchmaker said that you see the marks on the dial because of the lack of the metal(?) ring on the old glass. The old glass didn't fit very good.

The dial and movement is legit Omega. Does it come from the same watch? Idk. But it's Omega at least, so there's something.

Some people say this, some people say that. Whatever works :) I'm dead soon anyway.

Edited Jun 10, 2019
  20. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Jun 10, 2019