Forums Latest Members

Recommended Longines Watches On Ebay

1. khmt2 Feb 6, 2015

You're welcome. Pics when it arrives!

2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 6, 2015

Yes, no doubt!

So, the default payment method (and only choice given by eBay) is 'bank transfer'. I know that eBay has 'Buyer Protection' but I'm not sure about how easy it is to enforce when payment is done that way.

Anyone here have experience/suggestions with the 'eBay bank transfer'?

3. khmt2 Feb 6, 2015

Given that the reseller indicated he can use PayPal by email, I would just request him to send u a PayPal invoice. In that way, u still get the protection afforded thru PayPal.

4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 6, 2015

Yes, I'll try to do that, Thanks!

5. khmt2 Feb 6, 2015

6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 6, 2015

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 6, 2015

I may be missing something here, but I think the seller wants you to pay using PayPal gift transfer. This way he doesn't pay the 3% in credit card charges. It is the equivalent of a wire transfer on his end, although he might have to wait an extra day or two for the cash to be in his account. Note that this is really supposed to be used for "family and friends" transfers, not e-commerce.

I think that the eBay protections still apply. If this were me, I would fund the gift transfer with my credit card and eat the 3% fee. For an extra $10, I get "belt and suspenders" protection, knowing that both eBay and my credit card company have my back if the deal goes sideways.

This is why we say to buy the seller not the watch. A seller who wants me to take all the risk and pay all the fees makes me nervous. Remember that credit card fees protect both sides of a transaction. The seller is guaranteed to get the money so long as he acts in good faith and you are guaranteed a refund if he doesn't.

American Express...Don't leave home without it!
    gatorcpa

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Feb 6, 2015

You are probably right. I like your thinking. But I think I already 'got away' with a CC payment for 'goods' at his expense.

He says it was an accident (and I corrected him), but his total with shipping that he requested I send him via PP was EUR10 too high. I was thinking perhaps he was trying to add the PP fee (4% for international, which would be close to EUR13), but he says it was a typing error. Since it's not allowed for PP users to charge buyers for the fee, I assumed he was 'eating' that himself, and sent him the money via PP/MasterCard so far without incident... and I'm protected!

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Feb 24, 2015

10. ulackfocus Feb 24, 2015

11. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 24, 2015

Or flush, but frowning.

gatorcpa and noelekal like this.
  12. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 2, 2015

13. Vernon Mar 4, 2015

HI guys - first post here! is it my imagination or is one of the crowns from another watch with a non Longines logo.

Or am I being too picky?

Lovely watch.

14. ulackfocus Mar 4, 2015

Which watch are you talking about?

15. Vernon Mar 4, 2015

the post from Tony C - 'gentlemen fasten your seat belts'!

I did say I was a novice!

16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 4, 2015

No, you're correct. It appears to be a replacement from an Enicar super-compressor. Won't impact the final value much at all, though, as a correct crown won't be that difficult to source.

17. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 5, 2015

Important: Contrary to the title of this thread, I am NOT recommending this watch. I just don't think it deserves its own thread.

What do you guys think of this watch? If it's real, I'd say it's a very odd one, though convincing enough to me.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/RARE-OROLOGI...0?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&hash=item339ebaf582Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

18. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2015

That is a rare one. The date window is in the correct spot for a 23ZD. Not sure if the dial is original or not but leaning towards a refinish. The crystal with the magnifier is certainly NOT original - the date surround is rectangular and the magnifier is round? ::confused2:: Not something any factory would do that I'm aware of. The crown is a poor replacement also.

19. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Mar 5, 2015

I'm leaning towards original (dial). It's very similar to one I use to own with a 30L movement.

IMG_2403_zps3eb6eaa4.jpg
  20. jimmyjay Mar 7, 2015

LouS would disagree with you.

http://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-black-dials-only-lets-see-them.1361/page-3