Forums Latest Members

Are these Longines watches authentic?

1. Cheekyjules Jul 24, 2019

Hi there,
    I'm very new here and I've been looking through a lot of the pictures on here to spot a fake but I'm having a hard time with a few of them to be honest.
    Could someone give me some feedback on these Longines on ebay?
    I'm pretty sure the second one is redial? Very odd number placement I would think and no model name?
    not so sure about the conquest though. Any thoughts? conquest291.jpg longines-?.jpg
    Thanks in advance!

TheBosston likes this.
  2. TheBosston Jul 24, 2019

Hi Cheekyjules,
    The second watch seems to be a redial for sure, just watch the minute marker at 6 o'clock (just to mention one indicator for a redial).

I' m not as sure about the fist watch, the dial seems to be a little too White, crisp and clean, so I think It's a redial.
    I cant see it on the picture you presented, but is there SWISS or SWISS MADE written on the dial?

Cheekyjules likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 24, 2019

First one dial is good for font but minute markers iffy so would need a better photo, case is a bit shot, lost its crispness on the lugs.

Second one is a redial

What’s your budget ?

Cheekyjules likes this.
  4. Cheekyjules Jul 24, 2019

Thank you! Confirmed my suspicion then. It's just so weird how can have someone who sells these have 100% positive ebay rating with over 8 thousand reviews?
    Anyways, I have a budget of around £500-£600 I guess up to $700
    Why I was looking at these was them looking going for about half that. I would prefer an Omega Seamaster or Geneve really, but that seems unrealistic I guess for my budget?
    Btw are there any online catalogues of authentic omega/longines watches that I could use for reference? I think if I could see what some of the originals look like it would be much easier to spot a redial. But so many photos on google are just that so I can never be sure what I'm looking at...
    Thanks for your help!

5. Cheekyjules Jul 24, 2019

Thanks for your reply!
    No swiss or swiss made, so I assume that's a dead giveaway? Would swiss or swiss made also need to have a T on both sides btw? Sorry I've been reading contradicting info in this on different sites.

About the first watch yes that's what immediately caught my eye the weird positioning of number and minute marker. But the sellers good reviews blinded me so to speak...

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 24, 2019

Have just the watch for you to start you off.

Manual wound and a great all round watch.

And @kyle L is a well known member and nice guy

https://omegaforums.net/threads/1960s-omega-seamaster-600-135-001.86655/

Send him a PM and chat. Don’t hesitate because everyone else like yourself that sees this thread will think about it ;)

You can buy from the forum you just can’t post in the for sale section until 200 posts

Happy to help because you were polite

Edited Jul 24, 2019
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 24, 2019

PS set a avatar

Cheekyjules likes this.
  8. Cheekyjules Jul 24, 2019

Will do!

9. Cheekyjules Jul 24, 2019

That's very kind of you! The watch is gorgeous and almost exactly what I'm looking for. Only thing is I would want it in gold (capped).
    I guess I will need to be patient for a bit longer and continue researching
    But thank you!!

STANDY likes this.
  10. 89-0 Jul 24, 2019

Als 27, Cheekyjules and STANDY like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 24, 2019

Got this in Gold for about your budget
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

12. Cheekyjules Jul 24, 2019

Als 27 and Syrte like this.
  13. Cheekyjules Jul 24, 2019

14. TheBosston Jul 24, 2019

I can't give you a definite guid to deal with the Swiss / Swiss made etc.. since (not only) Longines produced many watches, especially in the 30's and 40's without any kind of "swiss..." declaration.
    The way I try to verify a watch is the following (maybe it helps)
    1. Check the seller, look for reputations etc. (you buy the seller^^)
    2. Do your reference homework and date the watch to a certain year /period / movement
    3. Compare the desired watch to other watches from that period / with the same movement etc. If you don't have any books like for example "Longines Watches by John Goldberger" to compare, use the internet. Since there are many redials around you shouldn't stop looking for further references if you found only one similar watch, the more the better.
    4. Try to analyze all the prints on the dial and check them for irregularities / flaws / improper lines etc.
    --> to get back to the " swiss ..." declaration, if there is no such indication it alerts me and makes me look even closer)
    5. Especially for longines watches: Check for brass tone dial feet (should be brass toned and not silver, I believe from the 30s to the late 40s (Theres a an interesting thread on this forum, credits especially to DirtyDozen12) link: https://omegaforums.net/threads/beware-problem-longines-watches.41134/
    6. Check the hands, if they are lumed, see if the lume aged the same way as the lume dots on the dial (just an indicator, there are exceptions where the aging of the lume on the hands is different from the lume dots on the dial)
    7. If a offer seems to be too good to be true, stay away from it or be at least over-cautious

thats a rough guide how I do it; I'm by no means an expert and there are many much higher qualified watch geeks in this forum. Anyways, hope I could help a little.

Cheekyjules likes this.
  15. Cheekyjules Jul 24, 2019

That is very helpful thank you!
    I did read that entire thread and analysed all the pictures on the longines problem watches thread before I posted. Some I found very obvious and some not at all and there are mostly no explanations to what is wrong so a bit hard to learn from it. There was another post about the Omega Ranchero I read that explained it in detail which was fantastic but of course a lot of work! Maybe I need to get myself a book like the one you mentioned as there are just too many pictures of problem watches online so I find it very hard to know when you are actually looking at a right one.
    I will keep your checklist in mind though for sure!

TheBosston likes this.
  16. Cheekyjules Jul 25, 2019

Als 27 and STANDY like this.