Forums Latest Members
  1. Andrescantur Nov 5, 2019

Hello people! I'm new to the forum and also I'm new to vintage watch collecting. I bought a vintage Omega Seamaster Cosmic + date and blue dial on ebay as an impulse. I got it yesterday and to me the watch is a original vintage piece, but I have my doubts.

-35.5 mm
    -Original Crown
    -Original Plexiglass plus original strap

The seller told me he was a collector and that his collection was growing to much, and couldn't keep up with the new watches that he was getting. I live in Texas and the watch came from Canada.

He also told me that the watch "works" but it stops and that it definitively needs a service. He said that I could take it to omega but that I was going to pay a good amount of money, he recommended to give it to a watchmaker of my trust.

Here are some photos to show you more about the watch.
    EAC66F34-2E34-4A53-BBB8-893218375EA2.JPG
    IMG_3931.jpg IMG_3932.jpg IMG_3933.jpg IMG_3934.jpg IMG_3935.jpg IMG_3936.jpg

Now, I think the watch is an authentic Vintage Omega, the only 2 things that I'm concerned about is, the blue dial and the strap.

1- Blue dial, Now I love how that blue shines, but I haven't found any photos anywhere of that blue in any other Seamaster Cosmics. I found other blue dials but they are way dark blues tones. if anyone knows about the color please help me out!

2- The strap, I think the strap is a fake it feels a little bit too lightweight and flimsy but I don't have the experience to tell. Here are some more photos of the strap.
    IMG_3947.jpg IMG_3948.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg IMG_0953.jpg

I know the clasp should have omega engraving and not "Stainless Steel", is it posible that the strap is an original and the clasp is a replacement?.

Hope I gave enough info about the watch.

Edited Nov 5, 2019
    Rochete likes this.
  2. Toishome Nov 5, 2019

The end links are correct for that watch but the bracelet is not. It should be a 1098. I believe you have a generic bracelet with an Omega clasp.
    As for the dial I have seen many Cosmics with blue dials but not that light shade. Also, the hands have lume were there is non on the dial. It would be a safe assumption that it might have been redialed.

Andrescantur likes this.
  3. Andrescantur Nov 5, 2019

Thanks for the info! It really helps me a lot. Whats your opinion on the redial? Is it a good redial or a poor quality redial?

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 5, 2019

Movement is incorrect as well should be cal 565/563. Serial number is ca 1960/61 well before the Cosmic was introduced.

Correct bracelet.

IMG_2247.JPG

McKinley, Verdi and Davidt like this.
  5. Andrescantur Nov 5, 2019

So nothing on the watch is correct?

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 5, 2019

Could you provide a link to the auction?

Andrescantur likes this.
  7. Andrescantur Nov 5, 2019

Edited Jan 17, 2020
  8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 6, 2019

I don't see anything in the description that is deceptive or misleading. Unfortunately this is what is called a "noob tax", the cost of buying something without researching/asking questions first. The price wasn't bad by noob tax standards.

9. Andrescantur Nov 6, 2019

Yeah I guess for the price it was alright. I could probably get my money back, but i'm keeping it.