Forums Latest Members

Pulling the trigger on a AT 38.5mm 2500 - need help!

1. oggaman Mar 22, 2021

Hi guys! First post on the forum for me and I need some help from Omega ethusiasts.

I am really close to buying a Omega Aqua Terra 38.5 (ref 2503.50.00) on Chrono24.

The watch looks good, the dealer seems reputable, it is newly serviced. There is no box or papers, but that is not a big issue for me. Will be my everyday watch.

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-co-axial--id18800630.htm

Does anyone see any issue with this watch/listing?

Thank you for reading! Would love som help :)

2. LuckyLes Mar 22, 2021

It looks ok to my eyes. I have been wearing one as a daily now since 2007. It has had 2 trips to the watch hospital for a full service, the most recent in January this year. There are a couple of dings on the bezel on the one you are looking at and I think it has been fairly heavily polished. If the price is in US dollars then you won't have any change out of 3 grand by the time you have it in your hands in Australia.

lindo likes this.
  3. lindo Mar 22, 2021

Looks good and the price is right. Like most Japanese sourced watches it has been polished, but not at all badly. As a daily beater it will soon acquire the usual little marks anyway.

The above comment on additional costs to Australia is spot on. Just be aware that apart from the quoted courier cost, there will also be a clearance fee, and a government fee, and the GST. Painful and unavoidable.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 22, 2021

There are some cheaper ones on ebay and various forums as its a fairly common watch: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Seam...903240?hash=item2184cc5088:g:1c4AAOSwK21gOeujPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I’d also be wary of the servicing claim, there are many high volume dealers that get a minimal job or a dab of lube on the balance done if anything. Unless there’s an invoice from a reputable Omega trained independent I’d consider a service a possible future expense.

5. oggaman Mar 22, 2021

Thanks for the answers! Do you think the watch has been to heavily polished? This will be a daily beater and I am not worried about scratches and dings. Will just add character imho.

I am based in Norway and the total will be around 2700 usd (incl. tax). Finding a used AT in Norway is pretty hard and would be a lot more expensive. A new AT in Norway would set me back over 6000 usd.

The dealer is claiming the watch is serviced and has sent me pictures of the watch on a timegrapher. The accuracy is from +3 to +6 which I think is acceptable.

6. Rado63 Mar 22, 2021

It sounds like you are convincing yourself that this is a good watch to buy, and it may be a good watch for you to buy. Some considerations are quality of the photos. Photos posted speak volumes about both the watch and the seller. The photos are not great but they do show a watch with real wear. Which you said was ok for you since you were anticipating it as a daily wear piece and adding a few more scratches to it. As mentioned above the servicing especially of a coaxial may or may not have been done to Omega specs. If I were considering this watch then I might want to factor in the cost of an Omega service in the future. Just wear it for now and if it has timing problems do the service and then the watch will run a long time from there. Also I don't believe the scratches in this watch are something that can be polished out so if you think you want the watch perfect someday, it will need more than polishing. I would keep a dialogue with the dealer and try to offer less, but it's already the lowest price piece on C24.

7. LuckyLes Mar 22, 2021

As I posted earlier, I have just had mine serviced by an Authorised Omega Dealer, I believe the Boutique in Brisbane also use this repairer for overflow work, and the cost was in excess of AU$900.
    I'm not trying to put you off, but what seems a cheap AT may end up being an expensive one. I really like mine, it is my favourite watch.
    Cheers
    Les

8. rfcs Mar 22, 2021

Yes, there are issues to consider importing a watch from Japan. I’ve purchased thru Chrono 24 myself a Grand Seiko sourced from Japan. You might encounter shipping and US Customs delays/form requirements. I had to fill an importer form/declaration. No big hassle but it’s paperwork and calls or emails to the seller and shipper. You will also have to pay a tariff to the shiipper after delivery (about $125 plus retail taxes if applicable charged by Chrono). There are other issues that are not present in your case (some leather straps might raise US customs concerns). The price you are quoted seems reasonable. Make sure that you use Chrono’s trusted checkout (with the escrow service). I own the newer AT 38.5 purchased from a local AD and is my daily. Great watch!!

9. oggaman Mar 23, 2021

The watch is running accurately atm (+3/+6). I think I will just wear it until it doesn't anymore. Even factoring in a service cost of around 1000 dollars, the price is not bad.

10. LuckyLes Mar 23, 2021

Hi Oggaman,
    If I was buying a watch from a Chrono24 add I would choose one from an Australian seller. There are a couple of AT's on there with Aussie sellers.

11. jeelan Mar 23, 2021

I thought the OP already said he was in Norway.....

12. LuckyLes Mar 23, 2021

My mistake, I missed that, I had the feeling that he was in Australia. I must be losing it.
    Sorry, I have taken the thread right off track.
    Les