Forums Latest Members

Private sales...member comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shishy www.hpmor.com Jul 29, 2019

Because OF is a community of different people with differing opinions on the subject. The people calling out flippers in that thread are not the same ones who defend (or remain neutral to) OF members "flipping" on the sales forum. You cannot conflate the two and generalize to the entire forum, and I don't think the forum itself has to take a stance on whether or not flipping is permissible.

At the end of the day, a watch is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I don't see why someone buying a watch for $X and asking $2X is an issue (if they get the price, then great, good for them, and if not, then they'll eventually cave to whatever the market is at anyway).

janice&fred, sdre and Dan S like this.
  2. sdre Jul 29, 2019

To be honest, I think everyone needs to discern who's a "proper" collector/contributor and who's just here to "flip".

There's nothing wrong with the latter but generally frowned upon by members such as @KingCrouchy and sometimes myself :p because OF is a place where people share discuss and generally "help" each other in buying a better/proper/collectible (and in inevitably more expensive/desirable watch for some models/brands).

fbf, befobe and KingCrouchy like this.
  3. KingCrouchy Jul 29, 2019

Yes, I totally agree with your point. I made the mistake to gain the impression that the behaviour of flipping wasn't welcome and was annoyed when I saw it regularly happen on the forum. I will refrain from judging Members following such activity. And I'm sorry for the stir I caused on the Forum

4. sdre Jul 29, 2019

This to me is the biggest no no in my books.

fbf, ConElPueblo and KingCrouchy like this.
  5. sdre Jul 29, 2019

You have been on the forums officially for about a year, so there's still quite abit of OF that talks about other stuff other than flipping. E.g Universal Geneve Sub forums, Seiko threads etc where there's less talk about flipping because the folks in UG subs tend to be the ones who actively study and share about certain details of an example.

It depends on the Sub forum that you hang out in and you be surprised the kind of content that goes on.

Larry S and KingCrouchy like this.
  6. KingCrouchy Jul 29, 2019

Yes, definitely and that's what I really enjoy about OF. I don't own a Universal Geneve, but I enjoy to read in it from time to time, especially those gorgeous Tri-Compax. I'm grateful for the content on the Longines Subforum, since I try to learn more about them and start collecting some fine Pieces. OF is really an amazing source of knowledge and it's great to learn new things every day.:thumbsup:

sdre likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 29, 2019

Every one has a choice.

I have a list of members I would never buy from and another list I would never sell to. (Some make both lists)

I have a list of members I wouldn't blink buying a watch off.

Like life there is all characters and if I wanted a special watch.

What lists your honour, there was no lists to my knowledge........;)

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 29, 2019

I've never sold a watch (returned one once, long story) so I'm unspoiled, so to speak.
    Originally, the " for sale " forum were collectors exchanging pieces and upgrading their hobby, not turning profits.
    The day that ended, some years past, this forum changed direction and many collectors lost enthusiasm.
    I vote for removing sales and monetary valuations totally and return this to an educational tool for watch enthusiasts, not moneylenders.

9. Observer I know nothing! Jul 29, 2019

::screwloose::

JimJupiter likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 30, 2019

I’ve given away more monetary value than sold for monetary gain.:whistling:

Bought more from PMs than FSs

Make 2000 posts before you can sell. That would sort the chaff from the hay ;)

aap, Larry S, mayankyadav and 3 others like this.
  11. trash_gordon Jul 30, 2019

mea culpa

Edited Jul 30, 2019
  12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 30, 2019

I'll vouch for that! I've been on the receiving end of his generosity and love for the hobby.

Maybe I am crazy but I would love to see more of a brotherhood of collectors and hobbyists and less of a marketplace.
    (Sisterhood too, Syrte!)

noelekal likes this.
  13. redpcar Jul 30, 2019

The goal for me is to inspire more people to collect whether it be high end or low end watches. If it's a cool watch. I'm in!
    Flippers can flip. If they have a watch that I want and willing to pay, fine. But probably not.
    Don't want the watch passion to fall into the same hole has Hotwheels, Beanie Babies, Pokeman, baseball cards, depression glass, etc.

14. Observer I know nothing! Jul 30, 2019

Bubbles are caused by buyers, not sellers. Omega, with their unlimited number of limited editions and Rolex with their brand of crazy feed the frenzy far more than any flippers.

befobe likes this.
  15. Rochete Jul 30, 2019

FLIPPER.jpg

It's really none of my business what people do with their watches.

16. Micmicmotorbike Sep 25, 2019

I do feel that u should be able to post comments. But someone pointing out a flaw or an extraordinary high price could be pointed out respectfully.

17. mjb Sep 25, 2019

A good example of this is "BringATrailer" (.com) which has evolved into an auction site for classic/rare/exceptional cars where anyone, regardless of post count, knowledge or respect, can make comments and ask questions about an auction. This occasionally results in the buyer disclosing more than they (probably) wanted to about the car. But it also has a fair amount of chaff and useless and sometimes hurtful allegations by people who don't know as much as they should. And the vast, far vast number of people who make comments never intend or follow-through on bidding.

And I'm reminded of BrietlingSource where I've sold (and bought) watches in the past, where people can make comments on for sale threads. Most of them are useless and just clutter up the thread.

18. gostang9 Sep 25, 2019

We all have a right to our feelings, but only the MOD's have a right to set and enforce the rules.

In case anyone missed it on page 1 of this thread, the MOD's have given us a very clear and concise position on this topic...

19. Dan S Oct 8, 2019

New Old Stock blah blah blah, unpolished blah blah blah ... so tired of the BS. People read the listings on dealer websites and then think they should use the same language.

Edited Oct 8, 2019
  20. sxl2004 Oct 8, 2019

Ok venting: minty with a retouched dial ::facepalm1::
    Or minty refers to a mint taste, but I prefer not to lick my watches :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.