Forums Latest Members

Private sales...member comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faz Mar 15, 2018

Hello all,

I appreciate the fact that members are allowed to make comments on watches offered for sale on the private sales board. I, myself, like to give a thumbs up or point out irregularities that haven't been disclosed by the seller. I think it's fair to sellers and buyers.

With regards to irregularities, I will comment, as will most members only if said irregularity wasn't disclosed by the seller. I do however take some level of exception when a member comments on an irregularity disclosed by the seller. Any potential buyer might certainly be turned off by such comments "piled on" top of the seller's honest disclosure. For example, if a seller discloses a blemish on the dial and somebody chimes in with a "..too bad there's a blemish on the dial or else this would be a good buy...".

Thoughts? Am I being over sensitive?

Cheers,

2. Georgieboy58 Mar 15, 2018

Edited my remark, I would personally buy the watch if I had the money.
    As the "issue" was clearly stated, I didn't see a problem expressing my pity about it.
    But I get your point.

SBund and Faz like this.
  3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 15, 2018

I do share some of this point which is why I, as of late, ask for constructive comments only and ask other comments be sent to me through PM. If the comment is relevant then I myself will post it.

Specially comments such as : “ you’re crazy to sell this at $xxxxx it’s worth much less!!!” Or “I think it’s a fake or not genuine or has replacement hands... but I’m not sure.... anyone else?” Unless you “know” in which case it’s a legitimate remark, “thinking “ something out loud can harm a sale. If you PM me I’ll look into it and if you’re right I’ll amend the sale with the information.

This said the tenor of this forum is somewhat exceptional and specially senior members seldom have anything damaging to say, and often have true legitimate observations to share. That’s why there’s is a high level of quality and consistency on the sales offerings.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 15, 2018

Based on what I have seen here. It’s up to seller to disclose the pluses and minuses and to price well based on as much research as possible. It’s up to buyer to make an informed purchase. It’s ok to cheerlead a bit ... it’s not ok as @Faz indicated to pile on regarding a flaw, or to challenge pricing publicly. That’s what PM is for. To be honest it’s ok to discuss merits of the watch on a separate thread.

dx009, Faz, Nathan1967 and 5 others like this.
  5. sdre Mar 15, 2018

This said the tenor of this forum is somewhat exceptional and specially senior members seldom have anything damaging to say, and often have true legitimate observations to share. That’s why there’s is a high level of quality and consistency on the sales offerings

In December 2017, there was a Titus Calyso for sale. Larry made a comment on the sale post that there was some incorrect information. It saved me from a potential bad sale. Seller then went to add in the info. For that, I appreciate the senior members chiming in to ensure it's as accurate as it can be.

aap, Shankified, watch3s and 8 others like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 15, 2018

Hmm ... not sure I would do that publicly on a brand I don’t know. I have done that privately.

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 15, 2018

No

Start a thread with comments has always been the unwritten rule.

I will say positive remarks ( like whhhhyyyy when the watch budget is low )

There is a few overpriced watches at the moment that I have had to bite my tounge on :whistling:

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 15, 2018

Negative concerns should be discussed privately with the seller. Beyond that a member may report a post to moderation if there are serious issues.
    Negative Comments in the sales post will be deleted as sales interference. We can not police every post however, actions may be taken against the poster of comments. This has always been our policy. Sellers are encouraged to report any unwanted interference in their sales.

And yes, there have been cases where commenters have gotten into pissing matches with moderators and ended up banned. :cautious:
    B4766942-3669-43B3-9F8D-56C5AD9C84A4.jpeg

Pazzo, Zapatta, sonicosa and 24 others like this.
  9. jimmyd13 Mar 15, 2018

This is the only watch forum that I regularly contribute to, though I am a member of half a dozen others. The reason I use this site a lot is because of the "feel" of the place. That feel is created by its membership in the same way many of the old fora that used to exist across different platforms (back in the day when going online meant switching the phone sockets around and a decent gust of wind in the wrong place meant you lost connection).

That "family feel", at least to me, gives members the right to point out errors or things that may have been overlooked. More than that, it demands that any misleading statements be corrected.

Now, when it comes to commenting on someone else's thread (and particularly sales) what you describe comes down to manners. It is polite to point these things out in a PM rather than in a public thread purely to remove the chance of embarrassing the original poster. It's their thread, they should make any amendments. If that doesn't work, then a comment to the thread is perfectly proper. FS threads aren't the place for arguments over a piece but we have great mods who are able to manage the potential for any argument. (Note that when I use the word "argument", I include the constructive discussion of flaws or differences in a piece as well as genuine disagreements. The former should be welcomed by all and it should be understood that there is no malice is such discussions while the latter has the potential to devolve into a malicious disagreement and should not be entertained).

Are you being overly sensitive? Well, it all depends on context.

KynaSD, Farmer, marco and 2 others like this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 15, 2018

Your comments are incorrect. Please read my instructions above.

Rochete and Larry S like this.
  11. jimmyd13 Mar 15, 2018

:thumbsup:

Larry S likes this.
  12. sdre Mar 15, 2018

Mmmm lemme check who is it. I swear it was you.

Oh is @Tony C. cheers :)

Edited Mar 15, 2018
    verithingeoff likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Mar 15, 2018

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." - mom

That being said, misleading, absent, or incorrect information needs to be addressed. Done correctly and politely, it can be posted publicly. Otherwise, you can link to the listing in a PM to a handful of your friends and laugh / comment all you want privately. (Like "hahaha! Do you believe that putz wants $$$$ for a $$$ watch? It'll never sell!!!!")

watchdaddy1, gatorcpa, Kmart and 6 others like this.
  14. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 15, 2018

There are reasons why I generally prefer to post public corrections:

– it may encourage others to post accurate descriptions of their items

– it may help those who read the initial (uncorrected) listing, as a private correction may not be noticed on subsequent visits

15. M'Bob Mar 15, 2018

There is a difference between incorrect, and negative: the former, it appears, can be posted with an absence of malice, to assist, and for informational purposes. The latter is subjective and an opinion, with a decidedly confrontational tone, for the purpose of disturbing a transaction, annoying the seller, or working out unresolved parental anger issues.

sollman likes this.
  16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 15, 2018

And your corrections, if detrimental to the sale will be deleted (if caught). If persistent, you may be given warnings. Beyond that you may be suspended, permanently. ;) Remember , it costs you nothing to contact a moderator and express your concerns.

Yellow.jpg

Rochete, felsby, Kmart and 5 others like this.
  17. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 15, 2018

A correction of an inaccurate listing will be deleted "if detrimental to the sale"? Really? ::facepalm2::

Edited Mar 15, 2018
    robinhook, Syrte, sdre and 3 others like this.
  18. omegastar Mar 15, 2018

What about the type of comment « If I had the funds, I would be all over this »,
    « this won’t last long before it is sold », ... posted by friends. I sometimes feel it could be misleading or inappropriate advertising.
    Mounir

19. ewand Mar 15, 2018

... or friends, who may have seen the watch and know the seller, giving a thumbs up because they approve...

20. WhatYourWatchSay Mar 15, 2018

I agree completely.

I like seeing comments posted between members that know each other or posting a GLWTS but to post a comment nit picking an issue with the watch that the seller has stated and shown pictures of is wholly unnecessary.

thelinendial, sollman and CdnWatchDoc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.