Forums Latest Members

Private sales...member comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 8, 2019

I honestly do not even consider any watches where "minty" is used in the sales description. I know it is mainly a WUS thing, but it has seeped into OF lately.

janice&fred and sxl2004 like this.
  2. JwRosenthal Oct 8, 2019

I think it's kind of like living in a foreign country for a while and taking on the local dialect and affect- if you're suggestible and you read enough sales pitches on WUS or Ebay- the language just sticks.
    That said, there was nothing more bile inducing in college than the kid who went to Exeter for a semester and came back with an accent talking about his "mum", his "flat-mates", and drinking "pints at the pub"....wanted to slap that pompous prick....you're from friggin' New Jersey you a-hole!

3. kkt Oct 13, 2019

Especially if they've got radium dials ::bleh::

sxl2004 likes this.
  4. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 17, 2019

it's all " French " to me :D

5. JacksonPollock Dec 14, 2019

An army of WIS coming for you and your poor listing descriptions

6. Dan S Dec 15, 2019

What are our thoughts about crappy re-dials being sold on the private sales forum (see current JLC listing)? Ok as long as they are disclosed, or should that junk be moved to eBay?

Hnansen likes this.
  7. BenBagbag Dec 15, 2019

Slippery slope. Need disclosure, maybe even in title. But slippery slope to police what can/can't be listed.

Larry S likes this.
  8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 15, 2019

I am not sure why he is allowed to sell on the private sales forum, as he seems to deal in watches (or he has a pretty good supply). Not sure I have seen a listing from him that isn't refinished in some way, shape or form. I sent him a PM about one of them when he first started posting FS ads and his reply was his watchmaker told him it wall all original. He went straight to my 'do not buy from this person/ dealer' list. His watches seem to linger for many months, so I am guessing others feel the same way that I do.

9. redpcar Dec 15, 2019

Some of us are here for the banter. Others, well, just here to sell watches. Doesn't appear to be much of a contributor. 578 posts. I'm guessing 378 of them are related to selling his watches :rolleyes:

Larry S likes this.
  10. wkimmd Dec 15, 2019

Funny enough, you are not that far off. You should look back at his threads history. Interesting, to say the least. There is one particular thread related to what @Dan S posted above, but I don't wanna get in trouble :)

11. Dan S Dec 23, 2019

Here's a question. How does it happen that an old thread selling a watch has been deleted, and then the watch appears in a new sales listing by the same seller? And the old thread doesn't even appear in the seller's history. I would have doubted my memory about it, but I actually had a conversation by PM with another member about the watch at the time, so I have a link to the previous thread, which is now gone. If I noticed it once, maybe it's happening regularly.

If a watch is WITHDRAWN, do the mods eventually clean up the forum by deleting those posts? Or will they delete an old sales thread by request? My understanding was that sales threads were supposed to stay in place for archival reasons. And knowing how long a watch has been listed for sale is useful information for buyers.

Edited Dec 23, 2019
    chronos, Traveler, Larry S and 4 others like this.
  12. Rochete Dec 23, 2019

Perhaps the author bumped two threads the same day? That's an easy way of having a thread deleted without even asking.

13. Dan S Dec 23, 2019

That would be clever! And then you could get a fresh start for a stale watch.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 23, 2019

Stop giving people ideas! ;)

Larry S and shishy like this.
  15. Spec Dec 29, 2019

Is the 200 post requirement mandatory for listing watches on private sales? Doesn’t that seem like quite a large number?
    I could be wrong but IMO that seems a bit much.

16. Traveler Dec 29, 2019

IMO sometimes it’s not enough... With all due respect, you just joined today, nobody cares about your opinion.

Rochete, mayankyadav and kov like this.
  17. WatchCor Dec 29, 2019

Well it isn't, truth be told and in all fairness this forum isn't a market place primarily. If anything the required post amount is quite low imo.

I don't see how everyone would line up to buy a watch from a 201st post avatar/person: "Yeeeaah, now he/she is trustworthy. I'll send thousands of dollars and HOPE i get a watch". It takes a significant amount of posts , smaller sales , some purchases and time to build up to that kind of trust. That is why ΩF is not primarily a "market place" although trades/sales happen here.

AAAKK, Davidt, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  18. Spec Dec 29, 2019

Hey. I’m not telling anyone to care about my opinion- I was simply sharing it because this is an open forum where people share their thoughts. It was also formatted as a question because I was uncertain if it was true. Thanks for your input.

19. Spec Dec 29, 2019

Honestly that makes sense. Thanks for your response. I just joined the forum looking to part away from some of my collection and saw that requirement as a pretty large obstacle. Though, I would completely agree that I wouldn’t throw my $ to someone who literally has no contribution for the forum.
    I will start posting! Thanks for the info!

20. Lotus_Eater8815 Dec 29, 2019

200 goes by fast actually. You won’t even notice if you get into the groove of participating/contributing to the discussions.

I only have 200-something posts but I think the requirement should be higher to weed out/discourage those who just want to use this forum as a marketplace.

Paulomega, Davidt, DaveK and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.