Forums Latest Members

Private sales...member comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 23, 2019

You will notice most comments by members are when a watch is newly listed so the quid pro quo isn’t a bump to help sell.
    Hey if I see a watch that’s nice and in a good price I am for sure going to mention it.
    If I could say a price was too stupidly over priced I would also. But hey people can list a $500 watch for $3000 if they want. Notice these watches don’t have any comments just 3 pages of bumps going down $50 every few.

Don’t forget there is certain watch seasons where selling is optimum and when buying is optimum. ( tax time, holiday seasons, bonus cheque’s )

KingCrouchy, AJwala and mayankyadav like this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 23, 2019

Yes, of course it will be. I asked what he considered reasonable as I'm trying to understand his specific point of view.

3. Dan S Jul 29, 2019

Quite honestly, I've been tempted to post some favorable comments in the Private Sales Forum recently, because there are some truly great deals on excellent watches that just don't fit my needs at the moment. The summer doldrums are in full force.

JimJupiter and Archer like this.
  4. Shabbaz Jul 29, 2019

I've sold almost all my watches which I posted in the FS section for a higher price somewhere else (also quite quickly)...

5. KingCrouchy Jul 29, 2019

I find it problematic when I see Members, buying Watches on local Auctions, to flip them instantly on the OF in the private sales section. I thought this Forum was more about learning about Watches and their past. Having recommend many times the Sales Section of the OF to Noobies, I feel that I'm helping the flippers.::confused2::

6. BenBagbag Jul 29, 2019

Yeah but it's still against the rules to comment on their sales post calling them out.

May he who has not made a profit on a watch in their lifetime throw the first stone...

Observer likes this.
  7. KingCrouchy Jul 29, 2019

That's a good point, I forgot about it.::facepalm2:: Mea culpa.
    I have nothing against making money on a watch. But when I see constantly watches being bought and immediately being flipped, and advertising in the private sales section, I feel it as being not genuine.

If someone buys and enjoys a watch and sells it at one point for a profit, that's fine. On some you lose on some you make some bucks. But it's not the driver behind the purchase decision.

Using the credibility given by this great Forum, to make profits from it and using it as a Flipping Platform, is what rubs me the wrong way. But maybe I'm just misunderstanding the purpose of this Forum.

Esmarch, S.H. and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. jhross98 Jul 29, 2019

why on EARTH would anyone have a problem with an OF member sourcing a watch either from an owner or from an auction that isn't broadly available . .and then selling it in the private sales section of this forum ?? as a collector that means OF is a great place to find watches i wouldn't see otherwise. you would rather them sell those watches to dealers or through big auction houses like Christies or Phillips where the prices will be 30-50% higher ???

janice&fred, marco, Rochete and 2 others like this.
  9. ConElPueblo Jul 29, 2019

I haven't sold many watches that I haven't profited from at some level, but the vast majority of those were bought with some (a lot) measure of risk, often with poor quality photos and rubbish descriptions. After receiving said watch, confirming condition, that serial numbers and movement checks out, taking risk on international shipping, customs, etc. and then putting together a decent sales advert (most often a fair few months after getting the watch and wearing it some times), why shouldn't the price reflect that? ::confused2::

There's a bloody big difference between flipping new watches with warranties and then "flipping" vintage watches.

I realise that you wrote "flipping instantly", but the principle is the same, IMO.

Or I am possibly just feeling a bit butt-hurt :D

10. ConElPueblo Jul 29, 2019

I am with you here. Probably been guilty of this once or twice, I must say :oops:

KingCrouchy likes this.
  11. jhross98 Jul 29, 2019

totally agree.

flipping new watches has nothing to do with "flipping" vintage pieces.

there really is no such thing as "flipping" vintage and buying vintage comes with risk.. i hope every OF member sells their vintage pieces here and I don't care how they sourced them or if they make a profit (i hope they do)

new watches is a completely different topic. .

Rochete likes this.
  12. KingCrouchy Jul 29, 2019

I think I'm maybe being misunderstood. @ConElPueblo you are contributing in so many ways to this forum, you helped so many Noobs (I was one of them with my Ref.2374), your main motivation on this forum isn't to flip watches. Of curse you buy, take a risk, and service them (in the Case of the great DS), and sell one from time to time, but it's not what makes you come here.

13. KingCrouchy Jul 29, 2019

Would you like a OF were everyone was just sourcing Watches and not contributing in any other way to the Forum?

14. jhross98 Jul 29, 2019

of course not. . but selling a vintage on OF *adds* value to the forum, full stop. i cannot see any perspective where it is a negative in any way shape or form.

flipping new watches is to selling a vintage watch as apples are to pears or walnuts

Rochete likes this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 29, 2019

Except that’s not happening.

And often the watches are a great price for someone looking for something like that. It’s not like other members where able to find it....

16. KingCrouchy Jul 29, 2019

If you look at the member I criticised in the first place it looks very close to my description.

Fair point with the sourcing aspect of it, maybe I'm just not having enough knowledge of that part of the watch collecting hobby. I source most of my watches directly from the first owner, and enjoy the hunt.

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 29, 2019

By not happening... I mean meaningful content is not going away.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  18. sdre Jul 29, 2019

I could name a handful of sellers who managed to sell without hitting the 200 posts (pre rules / last year) and they only posted 1-2 posts about their collection and from then on, only uses OF private sales as their one of their main sales outlet, at dealer prices.

Hnansen, KingCrouchy and BenBagbag like this.
  19. Observer I know nothing! Jul 29, 2019

What business is it of yours?
    I don't get the opposition to people who try to turn a quick profit on a watch. That's pretty much the entire Watches For Sale forum. Do you want to shut that down, too? Rudely calling out a member on a sales thread, in clear violation of published and well discussed rules, is shockingly bad form. I was astonished to see it today, and it's the only time I've considered reporting a post in my brief time on OF. Harassing a member who bought a watch elsewhere and made it available to OF members seems completely irrational.

janice&fred likes this.
  20. KingCrouchy Jul 29, 2019

It's apparently none of my business. I just find it weird, that on the Forum People Flipping Watches are seen in a bad way. Especially on eBay, with some snarky comments of the members here. (Here an example)
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/flippin-longines-misc-longines-transactions.47762/page-2

But when it's done by Members on the OF it's okay and helps with the supply. But apparently that's completely irrational.

21. Dan S Jul 29, 2019

So a few members made snarky comments about someone flipping a watch. I don't think you can make the generalization that the entire forum feels that there's something wrong with buying and selling; this is not a monolithic community.

However, I don't particularly like it when someone comes on the forum trying to exploit the knowledge of members for the sole purpose of making money. I don't mind sharing my knowledge and experience with other collectors, people who are trying to learn about family heirlooms, etc. But it feels exploitative for sellers/dealers to use the accumulated knowledge of forum members to turn a profit.

Syrte, Shabbaz, Foo2rama and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.