Forums Latest Members
  1. pxfeng Mar 13, 2020

Hi, I am new to the vintage watch and currently looking for Omega Seamaster/Constellation as my very first vintage watch! Any advice on that?

I am looking for this one on Ebay, and the buyer is asking for $535? Is this a fair price?

Brand: Omega Seamaster De Ville

Make: 60's

Original Omega dial professionally restored matte black.

Case: 14k Gold filled case, still in good condition, please see photos for actual details.

Glass: New swiss made acrylic crystal fitted no visible scratches.

Movement: Mechanical movement, Automatic, Date properly functions and Keep on time.

Diameter: Width 35 mm excluding crown.

Band: New unbranded genuine leather strap fitted.

Other's: Dial, Case, Crown, and Movement are signed.

Box and papers not available.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

2. timecube Mar 14, 2020

Are you specifically looking for a gold-colored watch?
    Gold Filled means "heavy gold plate" which, as with ordinary gold plate is likely to abrade and wear off if you wear the watch daily/often. Unless you want a watch that looks like gold, and prefer not to pay for solid gold- it's not a great choice for "first vintage". The case is pretty scratched up too; you won't be able to polish or clean those away without compromising the plating.

Unsigned (e.g. generic non-Omega) crystal and refinished dial reduce its collectability (and value) quite a bit- though the crystal is replaceable with a genuine one if you cared to.

If you like the watch it's fine- though you could probably find something better for cheaper.

3. kip595 Mar 14, 2020

I'm not an expert on these vintages, but I agree with @timecube above.

I'd either wait for a better example, or, if you're really in love with this one, definitely try to negotiate the price.

4. OMEGuy Mar 14, 2020

The redial / relume isn't that bad, but the case has been damaged/polished and the movement looks really tired.

I agree to what has been said above. Save your money for a better piece. :)

5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 14, 2020

Do you want to buy a watch with broken parts in the movement?

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 14, 2020

I'm curious about the lack of reference to the plating on the inside of the caseback. Isn't there typically info there above the Omega symbol? Is it possible that is not the original caseback? (it looks to be in better shape than the rest of the case)

7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 14, 2020

It's a one-piece case.

8. Dan S Mar 14, 2020

This appears to be a one-piece case. OP, this is not a good watch to buy for your first vintage watch. There are many things wrong with it. Be patient, read and learn.

Edit: @dennisthemenace beat me to it. :)

9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 14, 2020

@dennisthemenace @Dan S thank you for straightening me out -- definitely not a caseback. Sorry about preventing inaccurate information (especially when it was so obvious).

To further educate myself, is it normal not to have gold plate indicated inside the case, or is it typically located on somewhere other then on the bottom?

10. Dan S Mar 14, 2020

I think it's a US case, and I don't know where it is marked.

11. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 14, 2020

It should be between the 6 o'clock lugs if it is gold filled.

Edited Mar 14, 2020
    Dan S likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 14, 2020

You are looking at it the wrong way round. Flip the telescope! Always assume plated unless you see a hallmark indicating solid gold. The presence or otherwise of plating marks is not the best indicator, some plated cases have none. The lack of hallmarks indicating solid inside the case and often on the lug reverse is the flag to look for when deciding if a gold coloured case is solid or not.

Edited Mar 14, 2020
  13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 14, 2020

Dan S likes this.
  14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 14, 2020

Got it -- it's not uncommon for there to be no written indication of plated. Thanks!

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 14, 2020

It's a pile of shit. Look at the state of the movement, the regulator position, the broken regulator spring etc etc.

You can do better.

Passover likes this.