Forums Latest Members
  1. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 29, 2019

Swizznasty likes this.
  2. Dan S Jan 29, 2019

Power reserve isn't a great way to tell if a watch needs a service. If the reserve is dramatically low (like 24h), there is something wrong with the watch, that's true. But a modest loss in the power reserve of an old watch isn't necessarily cause for concern. For example, someone might have serviced the watch recently, but decided not to replace the old mainspring, in which case the power reserve could be less than optimal, but the watch would be totally safe to wear. On the other hand, the watch could definitely be in need of a service (because of degraded lubrication) with a similar modest effect on power reserve. If you can run full diagnostics on a timegrapher, and also know the power reserve, I think you would start to get a better all-around picture. But honestly, the best way to know if a watch needs a service is by knowing the time elapsed since the last service.

Swizznasty likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 29, 2019

So basically you need a full service, with no polishing by a watchmaker with a Omega accreditation and parts account.

Be mindful that a non genuine mainspring may not give you 50hrs ( if your not getting that )

Make sure you have your notes when you put it in for service.
    ie, no polishing of the case
    Full strip down
    Leave hands
    Replace crown with original style.
    Swap second hand if possible to get a original style.
    ( not sure if crown and minute hand are still available)

rob#1 and Swizznasty like this.
  4. Swizznasty Jan 30, 2019

You guys are honestly awesome with such informative/quick replies! Wish we all lived in the same region and attended a watch gathering/auction or SIHH to chat and so I can purchase a drink or meal for the great help. Still seeking on Redbar and Hodinkee but haven't found much on the surface about gatherings, mainly auctions. Back to the observations I am running, my Oris ran a few more hours than the reserve indicated. and Now running the test for my Omega (did the Oris first bc my Omega hasn't left my wrist :) ) I read a few things about potentially a mainspring problem, but when I manually wind my watch after about 8-10 half clockwise turns it gains a lot of resistance and me not knowing to much about watches let alone vintage my mind begins to run. When thinking about it , gaining resistance as a spring or coil gets tighter makes sense due to the loaded power which it can only hold so much (50h) Because its an automatic I am assuming it will never come to a complete stop which appears to be the case for manual winds.Is it possible to over wind my Omega SS by using the crown? Thanks again you guys are an absolute blessing for the Omega community!.
    Thanks,
    Ross

5. Dan S Jan 30, 2019

You can't damage that movement by winding it. Even when the mainspring is fully wound, you can continue to turn the crown. As you surmised, that's a typical feature of an automatic movement. It's a bit surprising to me that you feel a dramatic increase in resistance after 8-10 half-turns. Mainsprings are designed to provide relatively constant force over most of their range, otherwise timekeeping would vary a lot over the course of the day. The concept is called isochronism. Anyway, it's not perfect, but usually not enough to feel (in my fingers, anyway) except maybe when the spring is very close to fully wound.

6. Swizznasty Jan 30, 2019

I may take a high quality video/audio sample and see if I'm able to pick up exactly what I'm describing.

7. Swizznasty Feb 7, 2019

Hey @Dan S @hoipolloi Do you guys happen to know how many 560cal's were produced? I've read an article that was saying only 3000 were made across a broad range of watches during that time period. Anyone familiar with this movement or how many were actually made. Apparently this guy has contacted the Omega museum which provided him with the information.
    Thanks guys,
    Ross

8. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Feb 7, 2019

Yes, Desmond wrote that 3000 560's movement were made or something like that but I see them everywhere. Me, myself, have 2 in my collection and many, many guys I know have one or two. So, I guess maybe 3000 movements were sent to the US to Morgan Morris, but a lot more were made and found in Swiss Case de Ville 166.020, too.

9. JBS62 Feb 7, 2019

Gents-- A newbie here but interested in this thread. I just inherited my fathers Seamaster Deville -- not a collector piece-- but it's awesome and something of his I'll wear. It was an engraved company reward watch -- had no idea Dad made the $250,000 sales club in 1967... It does not have the original Omega crystal and the crappy replacement hadn't aged well. Does anyone know what size/description replacement crystal I can use and source. It's a 563, serial# 24237060, in a Ross case KM6292 w/gold finish. Much obliged,

10. Swizznasty Feb 7, 2019

Do you happen to have well taken photos of it ? Tends to help a lot and I would love to see it !
    -Ross

11. JBS62 Feb 8, 2019

Thanks for getting back Ross. Some pics. As mentioned not original crystal -- appears to be missing a tension/reflector ring -- and has a nice crack... It's a front opener -- not sure that was just the Ross cases or prevalent on all the Seamasterr Devilles. Plan to replace crystal and put on a nice leather band. Just looking for the correct crystal/source. Thx for taking a look and any advice--
    IMG_1994.JPG IMG_1995.JPG IMG_1997.JPG

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 9, 2019

Nope - not even close. This is why I keep telling people to take the information on the Ranfft site with a big grain of salt. Omega lists the official power reserve for all 55X, 56X, and 75X movements is 38 hours. In a freshly serviced watch that is in very good condition, you can certainly get more, but 50 hours would be extraordinary...

13. Swizznasty Feb 10, 2019

Anyone know how many BPH the 560cal is? I cant seem to find the information online. Thanks

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2019

The entire series are 19,800...

Swizznasty likes this.
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 10, 2019

Swizznasty likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2019

tamura and Swizznasty like this.
  17. Swizznasty Feb 10, 2019

Thank you I appreciate it !
    Also, is it ok if I direct message you a few questions I have whilst leading to a possible service ?
    Thanks
    Ross

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 11, 2019

You can PM me with questions and I'll do my best to help.