Forums Latest Members
  1. cvalue13 Jul 30, 2013

I just purchased this piece (but don't want any softballs on your critiques, however):

http://www.qualityvintagetimepieces.com/OmeSeaDV2T6068SBDfull.html

I paid $790.

Owner described as:

"Omega Seamaster De Ville Automatic. Movement serial number 25295327 dating this watch to 1967. Caliber 563 with 17 jewels. Movement has been fully serviced and regulated. Original dial nicely aged and has some logo printed beside the 9 o'clock marker. Clean original crystal is signed. Original crown is signed. New genuine leather strap. Case serial number KL 6068. 14k solid gold bezel, 14k gold capped lugs and solid stainless steel case measures 34mm across by 40mm lug tip to lug tip."

I noted (before purchasing) that the Ross "KL6068" should I believe pair with a 560, not 563 movement, and that the description wasn't *entirely* misleading in this respect. (http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=14783)

I was willing to take that much irregulatiry for a watch that otherwise was aesthetically pleasing and interesting.

I also wondered whether that KL6068 back should have a sea-pony exterior. On the other hand, with the "unusual" marking at the 9, perhaps a presentation piece?

You ladies and gents have any other thoughts? How about that unusual marking at the 9? Know this seller?

Don't be gentle, I'm a big boy.

Much thanks in advance. Looking forward to lurking around these parts. - CB

2. ulackfocus Jul 30, 2013

I think that it's okay for that watch to have a 563 inside. I also think $790 is a little high for the slightly overpolished condition, but "oooooo shiny" seems to outrank 'original' for the first couple vintage purchases. I have an issue with tag that some graffiti artist out on the dial.

cvalue13 likes this.
  3. cvalue13 Jul 30, 2013

Thanks, Dennis - I agree that it's over-poslished, but was intrigued by the graffiti, actually.

Otherwise, I agree that there are plenty 563 De Villes, though the case number on this watch is for a 560 and also the case has no seahorse which I believe the case number would entail.

4. Hijak Jul 30, 2013

+1 a bit to rich for this De Ville, IMHO. When you attempt to sell this, and you will, recouping your investment might be difficult. but the key is to enjoy what you have while you have it!

cvalue13 likes this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 30, 2013

I have seen other examples of this reference with 563s. Omega's data basis is often not entirely accurate or complete.

cvalue13 likes this.
  6. cvalue13 Jul 30, 2013

Nothing a little acetone, brillo, and burying the face in the back yard for eight weeks won't remedy. #unpolish #newmeaningtoretrograde

7. cvalue13 Aug 8, 2013

Received the De Ville a few days ago, and thought I'd share some pictures and history I've scrounged up.

I believe that the hands, dial, crystal and crown are original to the watch - but of course defer to the Jedi around here. I think that the logo at the 9 o'clock of the dial makes it very unlikely that this is a re-dial.

As for that logo (and its history/relevance to the originality of the dial), it is an early version of the logo for Central Soya Company, Inc. It seems unlikely this could have been/would have been reproduced in a re-dial. This watch was a common retirement/presentation piece for Central Soya, as I've come across a couple of Omega's of later vintage with more modern versions of the logo (though with engravings on the back, where the back of this case seems to have been well polished on the flat portion). Central Soya was started by Dale W. McMillen, out of Decatur Indiana, which is now a division of Bunge. Mr. McMillen or "Mr. Mac" was a very interesting character in the industry (see "Mr. Mac and Central Soya: The Foodpower Story, by Harold W McMillen, 1967"), and also in the community, and the founder of Wildcats Baseball leagues (see "In Mr. Mac's Wildcat League, everyone gets to play" by Nicholas Dawidoff, in Sports Illustrated, April 4, 1988).

Rail road collectors will also recognize the Central Soya logo, which company has/had a significant rail operation; numerous rail cars, including model rail road cars, dawn the modern blue and red version of the earlier logo that appears at the 9 o'clock of this watch's dial.

So, for some pictures:

Seamaster De Ville Face.jpg Seamaster De Ville Face Zoom.jpg Seamaster De Ville Crown.jpg Seamaster De Ville Case Back.jpg Seamaster De Ville Movement.jpg

A real research question for the forum, though: while it is common to see retirement presentation Omega's with engravings on the back, I have seen references to Omega themselves making watches for companies for this purpose, such that the logo on the face (and sometimes a stamp, not engraving, on the back), were said to have been done at Omega's facilities by Omega.

Take the watch in this link, for example: http://www.vintage-watches-collection.com/watch/omega-watch/omega-geneve-with-ngf-tree-dial-1967/

(and see picture at bottom of this page)

The story told by this seller suggests the Omega-made watches with factory painting. By the quality and location of the logo in that seller's watch, if his story is true, it would be indicative of the Central Soya watch I have.

Any thoughts?

Seamaster De Ville Wrist.jpg omega-geneve-tree.gif
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 8, 2013

I highly doubt that is the case here. First of all, a watch like yours was actually partially produced in the USA. The movement was made in Bienne by Omega, the case made here, and frankly, I'm not sure where the dial was originally made. Norman Morris, Inc. (Omega's US importer) had facilities in New York City equipped to customize dials and cases for presentation watches.

[​IMG]

In fact, I've seen some Constellations with custom casebacks without the Observatory made specifically for presentation purposes:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-constellation-pie-pan-168-005-stainless-steel-£450.3407/

I guess the issue is when you say "Omega themselves", does their US agent count in your book? After all, at that time, Norman Morris was Omega as far as the USA was concerned.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

STANDY and cvalue13 like this.
  9. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 8, 2013

Sorry, I misunderstood '67 DeVille imagesCAGHYVF3.jpg

10. Swizznasty Dec 24, 2018

Hello, I am very new to these forums and just purchased an Omega 1967 Seamaster Deville 14kt bezel SS back KL6068 with a 560cal and would thoughts about it if it is worth servicing or keeping. Also real and original hopefully. I have made a post about it a few days ago but have not had one reply maybe due to being new on the forums and my posts being at the bottom? not sure but if any experienced vintage Omega fans can please leave your thoughts about my latest purchase I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance
    Ross

1967 SMD 14kt 1.jpg 1967 SMD 14kt back.jpg 1967 SMD 14kt Face.jpg 1967 SMD 14kt side.jpg 1967 SMD 14kt side2.jpg

1967 SMD 14kt underside.jpg
  11. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 24, 2018

Hi Ross.
    Merry Christmas to you.

I read your other post already but did not comment because your watch is correct and original in al aspects except the damage to the minute hand that you need to replace if you like.
    Do you know the service history of the watch? When was it last service? You may need to have it serviced every four or five years if you decide to wear it.
    Enjoy the watch and welcome to the forum.

Hoi.

STANDY and Swizznasty like this.
  12. Swizznasty Dec 24, 2018

Hey Hoi,
    Thanks for the reply ! Yeah awesome I’m so happy that this is an excellent watch. Yeah I’m not sure the last time it was serviced but I had a watch maker do a quick clean but I’ve found a local CMW21 about 15 mins from where I live so I think I should do an over haul ( if that’s what an entire cleaning is called ). But for a watch hand will there be older ones around or newer replicas from Omega ? I’m going to wear this watch and keep it for as long as possible. Also can something that damages the watch happen from not replacing the minute hand immediately?
    Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!
    Ross
    @hoipolloi

STANDY and hoipolloi like this.
  13. Dan S Dec 24, 2018

To the naked eye, I imagine the minute hand is not really so distracting, so perhaps you should just live with it for now. If it continues to bother you, then you can look into finding a replacement. In my view, if the watch is all original, and the condition is acceptable, it's not worth the time and energy to start tampering with it.

Swizznasty and hoipolloi like this.
  14. Swizznasty Dec 24, 2018

Awesome @Dan S . As long as it doesn't effect the watch in some way that's negative I am definitely going to keep it as is. I recently have fell in LOVE with time pieces and essentially put all of my extra time into it outside of work and sports. Being in my 20's everyone is about these tech watches and how many steps you take type of devices which even being a tech guys honestly does not do it for me. It was not until seeking a gold bracelet or gold watch did I stumble across mechanical watches and the intricacies they entail. Oh man the effort and beauty that are put into these blew me away and it will forever be something I am passionate about. Must have put close to 100 hours into researching the last 4 weeks and decided on a vintage Omega. Then Luckily came across these forums and the experience has just been getting better and better the more I learn. I appreciate all the help! Happy Holidays
    ~Ross

STANDY likes this.
  15. Dan S Dec 24, 2018

You're welcome. Old watches are rarely perfect, so it is good to approach them from a perspective where you are willing to accept their quirks, like some cosmetic issues to a hand and a crown. This is a good way to start.

Swizznasty likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 24, 2018

Nice watch and welcome to the forum.

You researched
    You have a avatar
    You have pictures
    You have a lovely watch that we don’t have to critique
    And your polite

Is it Christmas or something :cautious:

( @dsio might be able to make this your own thread )

Swizznasty, dan7800 and hoipolloi like this.
  17. Swizznasty Dec 25, 2018

Thanks @STANDY and happy holidays!

Ross

18. Swizznasty Jan 11, 2019

Hey Hoi do you know if the hand and markers on my Omega are gold as well?
    Thanks,
    Ross

19. Swizznasty Jan 29, 2019

@Dan S @hoipolloi @STANDY
    Hello! I have attempted to tag you three to ask a brief question. Does anyone know the power reserve bank the 560cal is supposed to have? I have searched on the Omega site but it did not say anything about power reserve. Also is that a good way of determining if the watch needs a service, as well as how fast/slow it keeps track of time?
    Thanks ! I hope you 3 had a wonderful New Year thus far !
    Ross

20. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jan 29, 2019

This is what I found for you on the net.

Screenshot_20190129-141501__01.jpg

50 hours

Alpenschneerot likes this.