Forums Latest Members
  1. Vintagewtchzilla Apr 10, 2019

yeaa true ... but the phillips site should everybody know ...

JanV likes this.
  2. Screwbacks Apr 10, 2019

are auction houses being rated for their performance, reputation, clients, products, etc. that somehow, results of bid may or may not be as expected?

3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 10, 2019

Sounds like a great thread to me :whistling:

4. Patrik83 Apr 10, 2019

I was trying to bid and had issues because of the deposit that I had no idea was needed ::censored::. I bet I was not alone with those issues.

It stated clearly that I was able to bid for much more than this in my profile page. I called Bukowskis in the middle of auction and they let me know about this rule and unlocked me. This was new to me.

It should be stated it in the T&C and they should have sent an email a couple of days in advance with a reminder about this deposit.

However, in the end I was able to get the watch I was after :) It felt like many of the lots were good value, just looking at the parts.

5. Vintagewtchzilla Apr 10, 2019

one thing i didn't like at all .... they want to be an international auction house and then those 2 auctioneers talk mainly in swedish , i know swedish are sometimes a bit complicated but hey it would be more charming when the whole crowd would understand everything ...

Mark020, OMEGuy, watchyouwant and 2 others like this.
  6. tyrantlizardrex Apr 10, 2019

sdre, lando, MaiLollo and 3 others like this.
  7. izydor Apr 10, 2019

I’d like to share my thoughts even though nobody cares what I think.

As an auction house, I would like to avoid false/fake bids, so pre-registration makes sense to me. Pretty obvious, right? Whether the deposit does, I don’t know. Possibly? Good way of securing the bids. The question - already asked - is whether those rules were clearly stated early enough?

For OP, I guess it seems safer to sell with auction house at first. Unless you hang around on OF at least for a while and see how things work here, it will be just some random people on the Internet telling you they’ll pay you hell of a lot of money. Well, so will the Nigerian prince. Don’t get me wrong here. Auction house just seems more „official” and with such stake it appears to be a good choice. Also please note Bukowskis was recommended in this thread, along with other reputable auction houses.

I think the best advice given here (and not only here) was to calm the f down and take your time before doing anything. But there might be something that collectors here don’t understand - when the find becomes a problem because of its value, and selling it fast could be a relief.

Anyway, still an impressive amount for mortals like me. I hope all these comments won’t make the OP too sad.

8. Vintagewtchzilla Apr 10, 2019

hello my dear friend, long time not seen and i didn't miss it.

instead of just complaining about my incompetence you could have been helpful and post the link but u missed that chance too

9. Dash1 Apr 10, 2019

Agreed, the fact that this one was a -2 doesn’t account completely for the low price achieved on this particular example, but I still stand by what I said. A 2915-1 would achieve a higher price than and a -2 in similar condition. A first edition book will always be worth more than than a second edition (to collectors) even if it takes an expert to tell them apart. There can be only one ‘first.’

OMEGuy and Vintagewtchzilla like this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Apr 10, 2019

As charming as always.

It may help if you removed that chip from your shoulder, and your head from your backside.

In the time it took you to be unhelpful and sarcastic, you could have helped a fellow member by posting the link to the thing you were referring to.

Instead you chose to behave poorly.

“Dear friend”?

You seem to be somewhat confused, I don’t make friends with arseholes.

sdre and Vintagewtchzilla like this.
  11. w154 Apr 10, 2019

Bickering should be kept to PM. Nobody else cares...

12. Vintagewtchzilla Apr 10, 2019

also don't forget the -1 had a much smaller run than a -2 so alone from rarity a -1 will always win over a -2

13. about3blank Apr 10, 2019

At first I was disappointed that mine wasn't undersold like the rest of the auction. Now I know why hah

The website is badly laid out and unclear on process for sure. And it's way slow to update. I questioned whether my bid had even gone through for a while.

Fell asleep the night before while trying to decide my bid, woke up and the auction had already started. Freaked out, sleepily grabbed my phone and thumbed in one of my more aggressive numbers then rushed off to work. Refreshed at stoplight and saw it had hammered at just a smidge below my bid. Figured I must've won then?

But no email, no notice, no pop-up, nothing in the account pages etc... As I started hearing about the issues others had, I figured maybe my bid didn't actually go through. Wondered all day. Finally just now I saw it in my Bukowskis account pages as an invoice. But only because I checked. Still no notification/reminder email or other way to know. ::facepalm1::

With the high values and small timescales we are dealing with at an online watch auction, system responsiveness is key. Sounds like they are just really disorganized.

What other problems did people face in the online bidding? Did bids just not go through after clicking? Or something more convoluted?

14. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Apr 10, 2019

But you made a valid point......and we do care Izy!:) So please don't give way to destructive, self loathing!
    I find it can ruin a Wednesday afternoon! :thumbsup:

Edited Apr 10, 2019
    OMEGuy, Dash1, NOTSHARP and 4 others like this.
  15. Pianist A 12 inch WHAT?!?!? Apr 10, 2019

Hi Achim, 35000 SEK + commission... a steal indeed, the bracelet alone is worth at least 1000€

watchyouwant and KingCrouchy like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 10, 2019

Swedish talking Swedish at a Swedish Auction, How dare they......

So I take it English is the international language for all Auction’s

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_official_languages_by_institution

OMEGuy, padders, marco and 1 other person like this.
  17. arcadelt Apr 10, 2019

I thought these days you pay on patina, patina, patina...

JanV likes this.
  18. Pahawi Apr 10, 2019

A total around USD 4650

Yes, expensive bracelet (no telling on length, though), but crappy lume on both hands and dial, plus crappy caseback, plus you need to find a DON bezel. Is that considered a steal nowadays?

BenBagbag, ejj and Vintagewtchzilla like this.
  19. cristos71 Apr 10, 2019

Only in the Speedmaster world! :D

20. ejj Apr 10, 2019

I'm new to the Speedy world, but this auction was certainly different from other houses where the watches are prepped for the sale.

This reminds me of car auctions--totally buyer beware, projects, etc.