Forums Latest Members

PLEASE READ: NEW SECURITY MEASURES FOR THE SALES SECTIONS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 2, 2016

Did you PM a moderator to explain your situation?

2. cptesta1 Sep 2, 2016

Don't know who to contact. If they read my post, I would welcome someone to reach out. I think that an Omega collector would like to have this book.

3. Traveler Sep 2, 2016

May be start with the guys that created the stickies on the sales thread ????

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Sep 2, 2016

Try @DLT222

5. cptesta1 Sep 2, 2016

I did. I have not heard from him yet.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 2, 2016

You joined yesterday, what makes you so special that you need to skip 200 posts and the mods have to contact you.

Fair go, who you contacted could be on the other side of the world and asleep or living his life.

7. cptesta1 Sep 2, 2016

Standy: Won't even contact on your post.

8. bryanmanio Sep 2, 2016

Exactly. I've been vocal about the 200 posts issue, been here for a year and a half, spent thousands on watches offered for sale on this forum, and I'm still not allow to post where he's not. Gotta pay your dues.

I was mad about it at first as well, but at the end of the day this is a forum for enthusiasts, not a marketplace. The less people getting scammed here puts us apart from the cesspool that is ebay.

9. Accountant Sep 10, 2016

Hello,
    I am a new member. I am trying to send a PM in response to a watch offered for sale, however am unable to do so. I get a message that my PM contains Spam!
    How do I get in touch with the seller? Could you please help with this?
    Many thanks.

GregH likes this.
  10. Dr. Arnaud Sep 10, 2016

Well I guess you can use your mail box (top right corner), and start a conversation with the seller.

11. bartonhall Jan 13, 2017

Guess it is going to be a while...

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2017

Barton read the stickies in the Private sales forum for a better and more complete understanding

13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 14, 2017

Some of us easily manage 200 posts in the time span of 20 days :whistling:

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  14. bartonhall Jan 14, 2017

Will do.

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 15, 2017

One more time:

THIS IS A DISCUSSION FORUM, WITH A SALES FORUM ATTACHED FOR MEMBERS.

THIS IS NOT A SALES SITE WITH A DISSCUSION FORUM ADDED ON. (That would be eBay...)

We welcome new members.

200 posts gives you some time to see what is considered polite, what is not, and help you gather enough information to help sell your watch quickly, fairly, and safely.

16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 15, 2017

I like that mate! Isn't it all just the good old fashioned art of 'piss taking' with a smile?

On a serious note. I am pleased to see this matter raised and discussed so openly. I have been a little worried about the do's and dont's of making a sale or purchase. Do you hand over the hostage before the ransom is paid and counted or vice versa??? It's a lot easier in face to face transactions. Items can be physically examined and payments can be confirmed. Obviously that's not possible in an international market.

When I first became a member someone on this forum advised me "if your going to sell your watch, just leave it and sell it as it is". I thought about that, but one of the reasons I wanted to get Swiss Time Services (UK) to service my watch was to offer any potential buyer an element of confidence that my watch is genuine and in good order. They may not know me from Adam, but the varification would come from a reputable and we'll respected UK service agent.
    I suppose the opposite is also true. The more 'cagey' a vendor is about himself or the item for sale the louder the alarm bells ring.

17. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 15, 2017

A service from a reputable shop like STS isn't necessarily bad thing, it's getting it serviced by a hack or worse... Omega ...that can really damage the value of the watch. Vintage parts replaced, case polished - the horror...the horror - and will significantly ding the value. And some "collectors like their watchs "as found". Anyway, in my experience, it's very hard to recoup even a fraction of the cost of service - which ain't cheap - when sellling.

18. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jan 15, 2017

[QUOTE="Darlinboy, post: 623174, It's very hard to recoup even a fraction of the cost of service - which ain't cheap - when sellling.[/QUOTE]

Cheers Darlinboy. Yes you are quite right it would be difficult to recoup. (£500 plus I think???) I think my 50+ year old Speedmaster would definitely benefit from a visit to STS, and it will probably my next move regardless of whether or not I hang on to it for a while.

The problem is I dont know what I'm doing. I'm developing a curious interest in watches, but I wouldn't know a good watch if it kicked me up the arse. That being the case, I think an additional advantage of a reputable service (over and above the benefit to the watch) is that I can offer my watch with confidence as the 'real deal'. I don't want to get a bad deal, but I don't particularly want my buyer to get a bad deal either.
    Thankyou for your thoughts on the matter. I appreciate the advice I get here.

19. Watchfellas Jun 12, 2017

WOW, 200 posts to do anything within the sales section......I can fully understand and appreciate the 200 posts, but again, what is to stop people from the one word replies.....cool, nice, great watch, beautiful, love it....type of stuff? I can appreciate having to post multiple times with content and actual discussion so that for one, you are contributing to the forum, two, so that scammers don't just pop up and take advantage of people. WUS is where I typically do business because until now, I have never owned a watch as high level as an Omega. There are scams all the time on WUS when you put up a WTB thread, of people with only the required posts trying to take advantage....of course, they are all the one word reply people. On the other hand, I came here to hopefully gain some great knowledge from some great guys, and right off the bat, I was hoping for some help in the WTB section asking if anyone could help me with a couple of PO links. You see, I bought my first Omega just a couple weeks back, and the bracelet that my new PO GMT came on even with the adjustment clasp, is a link or two shy of where I am comfortable. I started a thread about this and have had some really good discussion with a couple of the guys already, but really wanted to put up a WTB thread just for a couple links. Well, being new to the forum, only 194 more posts to go and maybe I can get some links for my watch....lol. I joke with all due respect....

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 12, 2017

What's to stop them is we notice them, or someone reports them, and we drop an elephant on their heads and flatten them into the ground beneath a pachyderm's buttocks. You don't want that to happen to you, its most unpleasant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.