Forums Latest Members

PLEASE READ: NEW SECURITY MEASURES FOR THE SALES SECTIONS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2016

The difference being a scammer asking someone to wire him $10K and then telling the buyer that his E46 M3 is in the post is somewhat less likely than with watches.

In any case if you have a sales history, previous transactions with members here that can vouch for you etc then we can check that out and give you access, if not there's always eBay.

See we don't have the ability or power to reverse a transaction like eBay do with Paypal hence why we have to be far more careful.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  2. igatomic Jan 21, 2016

200 posts is reasonable. Without "power-posting" it would slow down new members (like me) from jumping into the classifieds. I have a couple of vintage omega's that I'll add pics to in the next couple of days.

3. blubarb Jan 21, 2016

Stay with it as you don't just join OF for the sales forum. It will work out in the end.

4. ethanross Jan 22, 2016

I'm not asking anyone to wire me any money. However the buyer would want to handle the transaction would be fine with me. PayPal, etc. we would negotiate the PayPal fees if that's how the buyer wanted to do it. Rather than limit the forum, you should make the buyers be aware of wiring someone money. I believe there are less restrictive means to accomplish your intended ends.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2016

A wonderful idea, if only we had thought of that

6. ethanross Jan 22, 2016

That's not true. I like luxury watches. I'm by no means a collector though. I was hoping to sell my watch, and this seemed like a reasonable means of doing that. The watch would go to someone who would care for it. I guess I was wrong.

7. ethanross Jan 22, 2016

I see your point. I'd even be willing to shop the watch to you personally for you to check it out and verify it. From there, once buyer pays, I would give the go ahead to ship to buyer. I'm not saying I disagree with your rules. It just seems restrictive when the onus should be on the buyer.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2016

As valid as caveat emptor remains, based on experience its far safer to err on the side of caution, as the worst case scenario after someone not being able to sell here is they have to pay eBay fees.

Sellers like listing here often because its free, but when we have to spend our time dealing with scammers and bad transactions its not really free its just that the cost has been shifted from the seller onto us.

We don't mind spending time and effort handling occasional FS issues and checking references when needed but the FS section is still the biggest expense admin time wise this site has by a massive margin even without the additional drama of having it more open.

9. ethanross Jan 22, 2016

Your point is valid. 100%. I was more interested in selling here because there seems like a larger base of interested buyers I could reach quicker than eBay. Also, my limited experience selling on eBay is that you get a lot of nonsense which I was hoping to avoid. People winning auctions, then not paying a deposit, which means you just have to re-list it. I was hoping for a smooth, relatively stress free transaction. Is there anything you'd be willing to do? If not, eBay it is

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 22, 2016

My 2 cents ( plus PayPal fees)

1- the main difference is you're coming into here to sell. This is not "omega market forum" this is a hobbyist and collectors forum and discussion platform that "happens" to facilitate trades and sales to its members. In other words the primary function is not selling and buying, that is a membership privilege. As such the policies are not geared to facilitate sales, but to protect the integrity of the member base. A great disadvantage you can see on many other forums where people are allowed to just hit and run is that there is often a degradation of the quality, commitment and participation of members. It is great to have the majority of the members here be repeat and long term posters. We end up knowing each other and have less distractions from uninterested members that just want to make a buck. We still like and help newbies, but prefer it when they're in it for the fun of it.

2- if you post your watch on eBay, and your watch is worth attention, I guarantee you it will be seen and discussed by members here. It's not like members here have an exclusivity or non compete clause. If we see something we say something.... And discuss, and encourage and buy. From eBay and other platforms. If you're concerned with fees then that's on you; you can find a way to have people reach you directly on any platform and negotiate a private sale there off, or just accept it as the cost of doing business.

I love the 200 rule. I think it should be increased to birth certificate and proof of life.

11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2016

1. You won't avoid nonsense selling a watch on any forum. There is a better signal to noise ratio here than most other places, but you will not avoid annoying purchasers and annoying questions. If anything, you'll more likely get a lot of detailed questions which you may find hard to answer if you're not a really into the technical aspects of what you're selling.

2. eBay is the biggest used watch market around. Members scour it and many have specific searches set up - anyone interested in what you are selling will find it.

3. As you have now noticed, post farming is not an acceptable tactic to circumvent the rules.

4. The sales forum rules have evolved through practice and have had considerable thought applied to them, including legal input. You may not like the rules, but they exist for the benefit of the greatest number of members & not the individual convenience of passing vendors. As a law student you will appreciate the validity and necessity of that.

5. Ordinarily, I wouldn't bother mentioning this. But as you seem to be using your real name on your account and are a law student (possibly at Harvard), you might want to review the Paypal rules before you publicly declare an intention to contravene them: https://cms.paypal.com/cgi-bin/mark...ntent_ID=ua/FeesPolicy_popup&locale.x=en_US#8. Fees.

"8. Fees.
    8.1 Fees Overview. Fees are based on whether you are making a Purchase Payment, a Personal Payment or a PayPal Business Payment. Some fees are expressed as a percentage of the payment amount. All Fees are in U.S. Dollars unless otherwise stated.
    1. For Purchase Payments, the recipient of the payment will always pay the Fee."

12. ethanross Jan 22, 2016

I sincerely appreciate everyone's "2 cents". It is nice to see people able to explain their views in a coherent, professional, and friendly way. Whether we agree or not, conversation and argument is always nice.

At any rate, I'm not trying to circumvent paypal. The more someone pays for anything (whether is accounting for paypal fees or not) paypal still sees the end result, which is paypals commission. I never said I'm trying to circumvent, I'm merely trying to account for what would come out of my pocket in the end.

Finally, you all seem like very nice people. I've enjoyed this discussion. And I do see and appreciate the views of everyone who disagrees with me. I will be listing my watch on ebay.

If anyone is from the northeast, I wish you the best of luck in the snowstorm.

EF

13. ethanross Jan 22, 2016

As a law student, i think ¶1 of this post is the best argument anyone has made. Kudos!

14. ethanross Jan 22, 2016

That being said, I would like to post pictures of watch on this forum, as I have not seen a thread on it (yet). It wont be a for sale ad or anything like that. Would that be allowed? It would just be pictures

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2016

Of course. Don't be afraid to talk as well ;)

Nobel Prize and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  16. ethanross Jan 22, 2016

awesome. thank you. i look forward to many discussions (about things other than the forum rules) in the future.

17. Just Livin Apr 18, 2016

As a new member the main frustration I have is in not being able to buy items as I can respond to the threads. I do understand the need for security and wholeheartedly support that. But is there a way to review at least the ability for a new member to be involved in buying items from this forum?

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 18, 2016

Nothing stopping you sending the seller a PM ( private message ) and negotiating a purchase :whistling:

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  19. Just Livin Apr 18, 2016

And as a new member I only feel it fair to say............ah.........just seen that feature:( Doh.
    But thanks :thumbsup:

Then my problem is solved:)

20. cptesta1 Sep 2, 2016

Kind of frustrating. I joined this forum as a love for Omega, as well as a rare Omega book that was autographed by a Cosmonaut and Astronaut that I wanted to post for Sale that was given to me by Chuck Maddox. That's right, one of the most knowledgeable men on Speedmasters that I have ever met. He helped me greatly when I wrote for International Wristwatch Magazine.
    That being said: Posting 200 posts will take me into the next century at the rate I am able to go through forums, much less look for watches to buy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.